Who will win the console war?

Who will win the console war?  

95 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the console war?

• Sony's PS3
    • Microsoft's 360
    • Nintendo's Wii

Didn't the gamecube outsell the Xbox worldwide?

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Maybe, but probably only because of Microsoft's lack of popularity in Japan.

Japan is a major market in the Console industry.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Didn't the gamecube outsell the Xbox worldwide?

by over 4 times, iirc

Not really even close.

Shadow:

I did not see a single title that would make me want to buy a PS3.

I dunno, Assaisins Creed, as an idea and because of it's creators, sounded promising. But I agree that it's slim pickings so far.

I just can't see people buying the Wii in big numbers... no one wants to be seen sword fighting in their living room by their neighbors.

Silly arguements like this were made about the DS too. I have Nintendo fighting for second place. Again.

Microsoft wins, at least for me.

"I did not see a single title that would make me want to buy a..."...360

What, Halo 3, a sequel to an over-hyped FPS or Fable 2, a sequel to a MASSIVELY over-hyped action/rpg. So far the 360 has been all about hype and no delivery.

I saw more promise in the PS3 line-up, including upcoming PS2 games.

Don't get me wrong, didn't see a ton off stuff for the Wii either (I am a sucker for Zelda tho). I thought E3 sucked all around. I thought the DS might have stolen the show with it's line-up :-

Edit: or PC games, tho Blizzard being a non-contributor except for WoW was unexpected and dissapointing

Edited by kumquatq3

360 has Mass Effect, Gears of War (simply awesome), FEAR, Star Trek: Legacy (which is awesome), Shadowrun, and a slew of other titles that looked amazing at E3. You can try to disregard Halo 3, but this ithread isn't about your opinion of games, it's about who you think will win. Halo 3 is a system-moving game, like it or not.

You saw "more promise in the PS3 line-up?" Such as?

Assassin's Creed was boring, for me at least. GoW2 is for PS2, so no need for me to get a PS3.

360 has Mass Effect, Gears of War (simply awesome), FEAR, Star Trek: Legacy (which is awesome), Shadowrun, and a slew of other titles that looked amazing at E3.  You can try to disregard Halo 3, but this ithread isn't about your opinion of games, it's about who you think will win.  Halo 3 is a system-moving game, like it or not.

Um, then explain your last post

I did not see a single title that would make me want to buy a PS3.

EDIT: O, and FEAR, another game that got hyped. No shocker it fits in with the 360 line-up (as for Gears of War, believe it when I see it complete, enough hype for 360 games)

Edited by kumquatq3

360 has Mass Effect, Gears of War (simply awesome), FEAR, Star Trek: Legacy (which is awesome), Shadowrun, and a slew of other titles that looked amazing at E3.  You can try to disregard Halo 3, but this ithread isn't about your opinion of games, it's about who you think will win.  Halo 3 is a system-moving game, like it or not.

Agreed.

But you clearly forgot JE2! [/flamebait] :-"

manthing2.jpg

I think they're all likely to be much closer in terms of sales this generation. They all seem to have found their niche and are playiing to it this time around, but it's whether or not they can expand their focus that will generate new success, or in Sony's case, allow them to hold onto their lead.

Xbox 360: Like the Xbox, seems to have a distinctly Western presentation and appeal. Microsoft has to get their business together when it comes to providing some RPGs for the platform this time. You just can't have a well-rounded console while mainly ignoring that genre. I really don't see that changing much yet though. Just like with the Xbox, they've got Bethesda and BioWare trying to help them out, but that wasn't enough last time and probably won't be this time around, especially with Beth blowing their load so early. There they were sitting on an established, somewhat reconizable RPG franchise, and they make a squad-based action shooter out of it. Way to go fellas.

Playstation 3: They've still got Square/Enix, Konami, and several of the other huge Japanese developers in their pocket, and will probably continue to be king for anyone who enjoys games from the Japanese market and especially the fruity anime lovers. No more GTA exclusive though, which could hinder them a bit in the West if they don't get a suitable sized replacement.

The launch price is sounding a bit intimidating, but they're also claiming to have a free online service to compete with Live. People are generally moronic though and will probably fail to realize it might be just as pricey to buy a PS3 if you like online gaming as buying a 360.

Nintendo: They seem to have really accepted their position as the quirky underdog of the bunch and are doing the right thing going after a side market rather than trying to compete for the traditional one. For someone who might already have a primary system they play games on, the Wii should make for a good backup; an alternative when you want something a little different. However they aren't going to make it by just continuing to rehash the same old Nintendo franchises yet again, regardless of the gimmicky new controller.

Edited by StillLife

None of those titles would do anything for the Japanese market, though. They'll probably still end up eating up the PS3 (despite the open pricing for the premium one, suckers) for MGS4, FFXIII, blah blah. I still don't see the 360 picking up any steam in Japan.

The Wii will probably be pretty popular in Japan. The DS seems to be doing ridiculously well over there, and it shares a similar philosophy. Whether the console/handheld market difference will make such a difference remains to be seen. Will the Japanese opt for the PS3 for the graphics? It didn't help the PSP, if anything. We'll see. Whether the PS3 being larger than the Xbox has an effect will be interesting to note, as well.

The main issue for the Wii is third-party support. Kojima might be doing MGS4, but he's already stated that the Wii is the system he's most interested in working on as a designer. Then there's FFXIII. Will it be a system seller? Of course. Will Dragon Quest be on the PS3 as well? There's already a DQ spinoff coming for the Wii, and the series has historically simply gone to the system that's most popular (and the series has never been about graphics anyway).

I can't see the PS3 flop, but I don't think it deserves to lead the market, either. That price is simply pretentious drivel ("it's probably too cheap, too!!!"), especially since it's due to imposition of BS like Bluray on gamers. Gamers didn't ask for it, but now they have to pay for it.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

I thought E3 sucked all around. I thought the DS might have stolen the show with it's line-up  :-

Edit: or PC games, tho Blizzard being a non-contributor except for WoW was unexpected and dissapointing

It seemed pretty weak to me too. Nothing that really struck me as amazing or something to strongly anticipate. A few PC games like Dark Messiah, Huxley, Spore, CivCity, and Medieval 2 came close, but I already knew of those anyway.

Nintendo:  They seem to have really accepted their position as the quirky underdog of the bunch and are doing the right thing going after a side market rather than trying to compete for the traditional one.  For someone who might already have a primary system they play games on, the Wii should make for a good backup; an alternative when you want something a little different.  However they aren't going to make it by just continuing to rehash the same old Nintendo franchises yet again, regardless of the gimmicky new controller.

2 things:

1. That "underdog" is a clear 2nd place finisher last gen.

2. You seem to think free online service (Live esc) for the PS3 is a big deal, tho you didn't note it for Nintendo.

Basically, imo, this is going to be a very tight race.

You saw "more promise in the PS3 line-up?"  Such as?

Assassin's Creed was boring, for me at least.  GoW2 is for PS2, so no need for me to get a PS3.

FEAR has been out for the PC like almost a year dude. Is it a new version? Shadowrun looks like ass and Star Trek sucks. Gears of War does look fairly interesting though.

2 things:

1. That "underdog" is a clear 2nd place finisher last gen.

That's true, for some reason it's easy to forget that. Both MS and Nintendo looked like underdogs compared to Sony last round.

2. You seem to think free online service (Live esc) for the PS3 is a big deal, tho you didn't note it for Nintendo.

I thought it was something more akin to how you play PC games online. Is it going to be a fancy, extensive service like Live and the PS3 are attemping?

I thought it was something more akin to how you play PC games online.  Is it going to be a fancy, extensive service like Live and the PS3 are attemping?

Well, you can download old games and such.

and you can already voice chat over the DS, iirc

What else does Live have, new content downloads? Way I see it, that's not an advantage. That's nickel and dimming me for **** I should already have.

"So far the 360 has been all about hype and no delivery."

Weird. Outside of the 360 *all* of these consoles have been all hype and no delivery as the other two aren't even out of yet!

Besides, andy console that has ME1+2+3, and JE2 is all game. :-"

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Wow it's intresting how this has gone so far very differently then I thought it would and the Wii got a lot more votes then I thought. It just goes to show that no one know's what American gamers will like if this poll had been done in Japan it would have been very different. I am glad to see how many people choose the 360 which is a really solid system and by the looks of it soon to be the top system in the US at least . For me I still think I'm going to end up with both as I wait in the cold again for the PS3 like I did for my 360. I just have to have it to play MGS4 and Assassins Creed a game I really think is going to be huge just from what I saw of it and heard about it.

"So far the 360 has been all about hype and no delivery."

Weird. Outside of the 360 *all* of these consoles have been all hype and no delivery as the other two aren't even out of yet!

Ya, but the difference that you note is the important part. THe 360 is out and still is about hype.