The good ol' times...

ramza

"How is BG, or IWD for that matter, a non-linear game?"

IWD certainly is 99.9% linear. However, BG has non linearty to it to a lesser degree than say FO; but it certainly is there. BG2 also takes this a step further. And, yes, anyone who thinks the only 'non linear' step in the Bg games 'is choosing a race or hair colour or some other anal thing' are blind beyond belief.. or didn't even play the games.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"I'm not someone that considers the option to do side quests as non-linearity."

How 'bout the fact that in many of those side quests, there are different ways to complete them. Not s true in BG1 as it is in BG2. Also, how you interact with the joinables is also an example of non linearty - characters leaving or not leaving your party. Again, BG1 has non linearty; but it is weak comapritvely speaking.

The thing the BG series (except TOB) is lacking non linearty wise is different endings or chocies that really effect the dming (ie. BG1 *always* ends with you killing Sarevok in the old temple and BG2 sans TOB always ends with Irenicus' death in Hell).

BG1 EXample: The choice on how tod eal with the Minsc-Dynahier-Mage Whose Name is Slipping scenario.

BG2 Eaxmple - Firkragg quest.

Edited by Volourn

What were the different options with Firkraag? (though I was talking more BG1 than BG2).

I always ended up just killing the dude.

I guess when I consider non-linearity, I don't consider whether or not I allow person X in my group to really be all that non-linear. I am always focused on plot.

For instance, I don't consider Oblivion (or Morrowind) to be a very non-linear game, as it didn't seem like there were many quests that could be done in a variety of ways, and certainly not the main storyline.

I guess your reactions to some NPCs in BG2 does actually have an impact on the game.

"What were the different options with Firkraag?"

Kill him, join him, join him then betray. He actually counter offers you to go kill the ones who sent you after him.

"I am always focused on plot."

Well.. in that case, then yeah, there's very little (if any) non linearity in BG1, and much less in BG2 (not counting TOB)...

Edited by Volourn

What were the different options with Firkraag?

You could kill him the first time you meet him, or you could kill him later at the request of the Athkatla paladins. This was also their last Paladin stronghold-related quest. Either would result in saving Garren Windspear's whelp.

However, you could also double cross Garren and tell the Big Red that you didn't care for Garren's whelp, but would recover the land deed and give it to Firkraag. This resulted in Garren's child being killed and you having to get the deed from Garren. Thievery or murder were just fine, and stupidily enough didn't seem to incur in any penalty.

You could also help him than betray him, or ignore him, but in a way that's possible in a great number of quests anyway, even if betrayal just means "do quest for NPC than stab him right after".

Funny thing is, if I worked for Firkraag or just ignored Garren's assistance early on, no Paladins ever chased me for having killed the Paladin group that approached me the first time I reached the Windspear Hills. Ha ha.

Edited by Role-Player

I just enjoyed killing Firkraag - probably my favorite part of the BG saga, actually. The story elements around it were completely irrelevant. Being that I tackled him on fairly early, it was quite a challenging battle. It probably took me a couple of hours before I finally took him down. Then I reloaded without saving just so I could do it all over again. Now THAT's an indication of fun/psychosis.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Interesting!

Back when I played BG2 though, I was definitely an exclusive "hero" player, so I never did that.

I guess you could also do a variety of things in the Underdark as well. It's all coming back to me now!

Small thought: Since they stopped making great immersive games I have taken up singing, amateur history, and started my own company. Possibly due to more 'free' time? :(

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.