Project Gray Company

funcroc

That's not what he's doing.  He's boycotting for the sake of boycotting.  I was never talking about buying the newest piece of crap.  If EA releases an excellent game, then he should buy it.  Because games would be a hell of a lot better than they are now.

He provided reasons though, with that in mind, it could hardly be considered "just for the sake of it". He's certainly gone overboard sometimes, like claiming to protest Obsidian for making BioWare hand-me-downs a while back ago, but Vis/Hades has been maintaing that stance about EA for a long time now from what I recall. Even if he's just trying to be difficult again, putting the idea out there with the often insane frequency he does might keep people more aware.

Sometimes, you have to look a little further down the road. Sure it could be a good game, but if it's sales aid and further enable a company that has done bad things for the industry and consumers, then it's ultimately not a good idea to buy their products. My personal opinion of course, wouldn't expect everyone to accept that stance.

This likely has just as much (if not more) to do with the complete cluster**** StarForce did by sharing a bittorrent of a game that did not have Starforce protection on their forums.  That bit of news actually made print newspapers.

Oh, it definitely has something to do with consumer feedback too. Often stories reach and generate interest with the mainstream press by outraged consumers. More vocal gamers like the PennyArcade guy's raised a fuss over that situation on their site. Bad publicity is bad publicity.

I don't mean this directed at you specifically alan, but I have noticed this disturbing trend from people these days, where you're treated almost as a fool for trying to not let corporations walk all over you. Kinda disturbing. History has proven that personal boycotts work, raising a fuss works - regardless of how small of an impact it has, it's far more effective than doing nothing.

I was raised with many a boycott - they do work.

Edited by StillLife

I point it out because Hades' absolute boycott of Electronic Arts and Ubisoft doesn't accomplish anything.

It's easy to "boycott" a company when they don't make games you like. Lets see how well he adheres to his boycott if this RPG game rocks. Furthermore, what message does he send to EA, and the entire game industry, if it's an excellent, high quality RPG (which he says he wants more of) and he doesn't buy it because of decisions made a decade ago? (including the desolving of a company that he admits he didn't particularly care for - Westwood).

It's not like he would have bought all of their games otherwise. It's just convenient because he's never been a situation to actually have to adhere to his boycott. Refusing to buy products you're not interested in is hardly a good demonstration of conviction.

I don't mean this directed at you specifically alan, but I have noticed this disturbing trend from people these days, where you're treated almost as a fool for trying to not let corporations walk all over you. Kinda disturbing. History has proven that personal boycotts work, raising a fuss works - regardless of how small of an impact it has, it's far more effective than doing nothing.

I was raised with many a boycott - they do work.

And I've seen my share of internet "boycotts" as well. Often against copy protections...even ones other than Starforce.

Edited by alanschu

I boycotted KotORII.

Nevermind that I only talked about starting a boycott for it after LA monkied around with the release dates, decided internet boycotts were stupid, then lost interest until after the Restoration Mod was announced, at which time I decided I'd buy it when the Restoration Mod was complete.

DEADSIGS.jpg

RIP

That thing destroyed my old processor.  :-

And hey, I liked WC:Prophecy...one of my favorites, actually. Though the acting was sorta not...good.

Yes, definitely. StarForce destroying processors now. At least the damaging of burnable media devices has merit.

It screwed up something with one of my CPUs processes...it kept trying to run it and run it and run it (It being a starforce task...thing), and eventually burned out on me. :(

Then again, the thing was an older model...but I didn't have any problems 'till that.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

What was the process name exactly?

Even then, why would it actually cause your computer processor to get damaged. Even if it is constantly running a process, it certainly isn't pushing it to extremes. Otherwise the game it's trying to protect wouldn't even run well.

Unlike Hades, I boycott some products I would have actually considered getting. Namely, Space Rangers 2. Idiots.

It might be a great game, but I have plenty of great games to play right now, and I don't know what I'm missing, and StarForce can screw a rock, so guffaw.

Besides, a boycott's main purpose is in depriving a company of support. It doesn't necessarily imply not 'playing' the product. Ahem, anyway.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

So, let me see, you boycott a company because they do something you disageree with morally than proceeed to steal or do soemthing else underhanded?

R00fles!

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Third Age could have been very good if they had actually focused on the characters and not just stuck in some LOTR clips every 5 minutes.

Sandbox games, really not my thing. Oblivion was my first and last for a while.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I tend to like sandbox games, but somehow this whole idea collides with my image of Electronic Arts. They basically make the most mainstream, streamlined, hold-your-hand-until-you-puke-of-boredom games of all the developers in the business! And now they're going to try their hand at a sandbox game.. Well, I'm intrigued at least.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I tend to like sandbox games, but somehow this whole idea collides with my image of Electronic Arts. They basically make the most mainstream, streamlined, hold-your-hand-until-you-puke-of-boredom games of all the developers in the business! And now they're going to try their hand at a sandbox game.. Well, I'm intrigued at least.

Maybe they are cashing in on the Oblivion thing.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

What was the process name exactly?

Even then, why would it actually cause your computer processor to get damaged.  Even if it is constantly running a process, it certainly isn't pushing it to extremes.  Otherwise the game it's trying to protect wouldn't even run well.

No clue on the name, I just know starforce was in there somewhere.

Far as I can tell, the process kept stacking...over the course of weeks and months. Probably unfair to attribute the problem enitrely to StarForce, since that's something a virus usually does, but it was strange how nothing but its processes were stacking.

Also not good that I rarely turn my computers off...also also, the thing was old, so it might just have been its time.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Very, very surprising, and the first I have heard of it.

I wonder if someone released a virus that calls its process StarForce, because I don't have any processes on my machine that have starforce in the name, but I know I have starforce installed on my computer.