Currently Listening To

Baley

I had heard the (very clever) term "screamo" used to describe MCR and their ilk. I really do like their album though, which I can't say for many of their contemporaries.

Avril is pop rock - she has the punk attitude going though, with her boots, fatigues and drinking habits. An interesting idea is that bands like Bon Jovi and Def Leppard were considered hard rock in their heyday, their music would be considered pop rock in the same vein as Avril today.

Blink 182 is pop punk. Sum 41 is pop punk with metal influences. At least the last time I listened to them they still did some ripping solos (approx. four years ago). They had this instrumental with dueling guitars that was definitely Maiden homage. They called it "Grab the Devil by the Horns and ..." .... well I'll just leave it at that.

As far as pop punk goes, my favorite is Goldfinger - although their best stuff throws some ska into the mix. Their self titled album, and Hangups had plenty of catchy tunes with driving rhythms. And they're great live.

Lately I've been listening to Wilco's Summerteeth album (which is definitely NOT alt-country, more like indie-pop). Okay, I'm done with the genres now, I swear.

Wilco - A Shot in the Arm

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

Pop punk is the more mainstream stuff like Blink 182, Green Day etc, punk is the anarchy stuff like Sex Pistols and other such bands from that era.

Edited by sucky

Just because you're a bit thinner than your even fatter mum it doesn't mean you're in excellent physical shape, if you could fit through the door and view the normal people you'd notice that cheeseburger boy. Squid suck.

Is punk an ethos or a style of music? Sounds like a thesis paper to me. I can call Eddie Vedder's actions "punk rock" but I wouldn't call Pearl Jam's music punk rock.

But musically, it depends how closely you want to dissect the genre. The Descendents are considered one of the progenitors of the "pop punk" genre, but many people would consider them to be "punk" because they never sold out, never compromised their sound. It was always poppy.

In contrast, Bad Religion started out with none of the trappings of pop punk but as they progressed they cleaned up their sound, refined the vocals, and added harmonies. Still, no one would consider Bad Religion "pop punk." Why? Maybe it's the weighty subject material - they're not going to title an album "Take off your Pants and Jacket."

edit: Oasis - Some Might Say

Man I listened to so much Oasis this weekend.

Edited by Darth Drabek

baby, take off your beret

everyone's a critic and most people are DJs

Is punk an ethos or a style of music? Sounds like a thesis paper to me. I can call Eddie Vedder's actions "punk rock" but I wouldn't call Pearl Jam's music punk rock.

But musically, it depends how closely you want to dissect the genre. The Descendents are considered one of the progenitors of the "pop punk" genre, but many people would consider them to be "punk" because they never sold out, never compromised their sound. It was always poppy.

In contrast, Bad Religion started out with none of the trappings of pop punk but as they progressed they cleaned up their sound, refined the vocals, and added harmonies. Still, no one would consider Bad Religion "pop punk." Why? Maybe it's the

weighty subject material - they're not going to title an album "Take off your Pants and Jacket."

edit: Oasis - Some Might Say

Man I listened to so much Oasis this weekend.

Punk is mainly a belief, the music is just a way of getting their beliefs accross to people.

Can't comment on The Descendents of Bad Religion as I haven't heard much of their stuff.

Oasis are just a s***ty indy band :( .

Oh, Atreyu - The Crimson.

Edited by sucky

Just because you're a bit thinner than your even fatter mum it doesn't mean you're in excellent physical shape, if you could fit through the door and view the normal people you'd notice that cheeseburger boy. Squid suck.

Toadies - I come from the water.

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Ronnie was good back in the day.  :thumbsup:

You do love me!

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

John Zorn - Batman.

Borat's theme music. Seriously.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Borat's theme music. Seriously.

Hahahaha

Foo Fighters - All My Life.