BREAKING NEWS: NWN WRITING CONTEST WINNERS

Llyranor

Here are the ten winners

http://www.bioware.com/biozone/articles/20...ontest_winners/

And here's a Biodude rambling about it

http://www.bioware.com/biozone/articles/20...osing_thoughts/

The 5 chosen by the panel:

1) Myranni's Magic is a nice mod. I put my seal of approval on it when I played it a couple of months ago.

2) A Realm Below is a pretty original mod, with creative design. Fun.

3) Aspects is another one I put my seal of approval on. I was quite impressed back then. Ironically, the community rated this one rather harshly. It wasn't mainstream enough, if you will.

4) To be honest, I wouldn't have selected A Moonless Night. It was a solid mod with good effort, but it wasn't really very enticing, and the bulk of it was completely railroading (though with illusionary effect).

5) Ghosts of the Past was pretty good. Nice depiction of what I'd like to see in terms of an adventuring party in a Bioware title. There was a bit much background/exposition, but it served its purpose well.

The 5 community voted:

1) Firestarter didn't really impress me. Solid writing and decent design, but nothing really mindblowing. Nothing against Adam Miller, but I smell a popularity context.

2) I didn't find much to rave about in Walking with the Ghost. Oh well.

3) A Hero's Death. This one had some pretty creative storytelling in it, actually. Fairly linear, but that was pretty acceptable, from the way it was designed. I'd have given this the thumbs up, probably.

4) The Badger, the Cat and the Book was decent, nothing more.

2) Find the Fish was a nice little fun detective adventure. Kobolds have now been redeemed, even after suffering through Deekin in SoU/HotU. I might have picked this.

Edited by Llyranor

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Trust yourself?

No wate...u is alaways incosistnat!

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Do these need HotU?

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

Do these need HotU?

Myranni's Magic (Mat Jobe)

Submitted / Updated 01-25-2006 / 04-12-2006

Requires Both Expansions (SoU & HotU)

Myranni kept insisting that it had to be you. Only you were fit to look after his shop while he was gone. If you refused to do it, he would simply have to cancel his trip.

So you agreed. And now, with only Myranni's good-for-nothing familiar Blaggo to advise you, you must watch over the shop's many strange artifacts and deal with its not-so-many customers. If all goes well, it will be a quiet, uneventful day. However, as you open Myranni's Magic Shop for business and catch sight of your first customer, you already doubt that will be the case.

Myranni's Magic is an entry in the Bioware Writing Contest. As such, it is short (10-15 minutes) and contains no combat.

=

The Realm Below (Chris Amos)

Submitted / Updated 01-29-2006 / 04-12-2006

HOTU-1.59

The playing character comes to and finds him or herself underwater and unable to breath...the only hope is the Nixie standing nearby.

=

Aspects (Neilan "Darric" Naicker)

Works on all versions

On the brink of insanity, you wake within your own mind, with no knowledge of what events led to this point. The three aspects of your mind are your only hope of leaving its confines, but at what cost?

=

A Moonless Night - 1.00 (Kevin Chan)

Submitted / Updated 01-30-2006 / 04-12-2006

This is a short module slapped together for the Bioware writing contest. The PC is lost in a forest and must find his or her way out by talking to a paladin, an old hag, and a spirit. No combat, tricks, or puzzles as per contest rules. *** For support, please email me at toa_lost@yahoo.com as I don't visit the Vault much anymore.

=

Ghosts of the Past (Illemira)

Submitted / Updated 01-30-2006 / 04-12-2006

You are an adventurer in the employ of Duchess Thestris of Rathenbrough. For the last two years, you and your three companions have travelled throughout the Kingdom of Darchae on missions for her, rooting out evil. You aren't sure what you did before you came into the duchess' service--you are missing three years' worth of memory preceding your travels.

Your and your party have been on your feet for days, after completing your latest mission: killing a would-be lich--the Baron of Quiessa--who had been ritualistically sacrificing his subjects. His successor, grateful for your efforts but wary of your party, ordered you out of Quiessa.

You have finally passed the border of the Barony and are seeking a place to rest in the thick woods. But there is a strange tension in the forest, and your dreams have been darker of late. You feel as though you are on the verge of remembering something.

=======

Firestarter (Adam Miller)

Submitted / Updated 01-27-2006 / 04-12-2006

Works on all versions

This is one of the quests from the upcoming Dark Waters campaign. The player has traveled to a small island in search of a key, knowing little beyond the name of the man who once held it.

=

Walking with the Ghost (Chris Tihor)

Submitted / Updated 02-07-2006 / 04-12-2006

This module was the one that I prepared for the writing contest. Unfortunately, due to crossed wires, I did not submit it on time. However, I have posted it here in its contest deadline version for all to enjoy. I may post a more polished version at a later date.

=

A Hero's Death (Thad Boyd)

Fleeing the slaughter at the fields of Braeden, abandoning your mercenary troupe and comrades-in-arms from Avalbane to their fate, you make your way to a portal in the Forest of Dream. But there are two other survivors of the battle, and before you leave you'll have to confront them.

=

The Badger, the Cat and the Book (Chris R. Deatherage)

Submitted / Updated 01-27-2006 / 04-12-2006

Many wondrous tales surround the archmage Sinder Luzon and the strange experiments that are worked at her tower. In recent times no one has heard from or seen Sinder and word has spread that she has gone missing.

If these tales be true then there may yet be great treasure left behind in the tower, for any adventurer brave enough to travel there. You are one such adventurer. You find yourself now at the entrance to the tower.

(This module contains three (3) various endings which will be displayed in the dialogue.)

=

Find the Fish! (nereng)

Submitted / Updated 01-24-2006 / 04-12-2006

HOTU-1.66

Oh no! A fish has mysteriously vanished in the mess area! Can you sort out the mess? Don't miss this if you like Pythons!

The download contains an optional character to play with. Put the inspectorcheese file in your localvault folder if you want to try that.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Thank you, you dreamy hunk of a mod.

kirottu said:

I have 2.01% so far.  :)

*cough*with this account*cough*Rabit*cough*

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Adam Miller deserves to win, as he's probably the most popular mod maker in the NWN community.

Popularity means zip.

It should go to the person who makes the best mod.

Do you live in the real world? Popularity is a huge part of any contest. You are wrong because "who makes the best mod" is subject to opinion. I would much rather be the most popular mod maker than the best modmaker...but the two tend to go hand in hand. Now the contest is only judging one small mod from each person, but you can bet that already being well known in the community will make it easier to get a higher opinion.

I don't count that account.  He has less than a percent.

Still have to add that one to the current to see your "actual" % board domination.

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

"You are wrong.

This contest is about making mods, yes?

Or is it a user popularity contest?

Oh, that's right, it's a mod making contest

Bye now"

The problem it's all opinion. There is no factual to determine what is the 'best' mod.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Well, what can you expect when you make it a community-wide voting process. Which is also why Bio had half of the winners be selected from a panel rather than just the votes.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

But even a panel is going to be a bit biased when they recognize names. That's the nature of most competitions, particularly ones involving writing. I'm not saying Adam Miller can submit utter crud and win, but if he is neck and neck with someone whose name the judges don't know, he will probably win.

Best thing would be to have names left off the mods, that way you wouldn't know who you were voting for.