Frank Herbert's Dune, a work of high literature?

Lyric Suite

As you know, i've recently begun to develop an interest in science fiction. The Dune series is among the first i decided to pursue, as it came highly recommended on the note this one was one of the few high literary examples in the genre.

Well, i'm down with the third book and i think i was lead on. Don't get me wrong i enjoyed the world of Dune so far, but i don't know, something doesn't convince me here.

I actually enjoyed his writing style in the first two books (Messiah in particular was pretty cool), but now i think it's running thin on me... =]

I see the body of EQUUS CABALLUS, and it is continuing to undergo a severe trauma. Reading is just as much a skill as writing (not as difficult, but still a skill). Knowing when to stop reading is a useful feat to learn ... =]"

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Agreed. I liked the first one quite a bit, occasionally re-read it. it does not, however, stand the test of time (couple decades) as well as some; the more I re-read it the more the writing feels stiff and forced, but I'd still recommend it to those who haven't read it.

Tried to read the others ages ago, got through the 2nd one, couldn't stand the 3rd, stopped trying. I think this is a common thing w/this series. :)

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I've read the first two and rate them very high among science fiction and literarute in general, but that doesn't necessarily mean everyone should go to any lenghts in order to their hands on'em. Read if you care, otherwise pass. Herbert's style can be ponderous.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

There are two trilogies and several Dune-related books.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

Chani :wub:

kirottu said:

Dune was a book that I really liked when I was younger. I've read it since and wondered what the heck I was on back then. So much of it makes so little sense (e.g., the empire that the book brings down is possibly the stupidest one ever imagined in print) and is so ham-handed (e.g., you hate the villian because he's sickeningly fat) that it approaches unreadability.

I've never read the sequels.

for true horror .. watch the film! you'll want to make love with the book after that ordeal..  :ph34r:

which movie? the sci fi channel one or the hollywood one with the battle of the polygons and Patrick Stewart?

Honsetly? i've heard the same as Hurlshot.

For good scifi try Red Mars and it's sequals.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.