Oblivion Thread

Fenghuang

I rather see the enemies and have a decent FPS (50) than grass IMO. But everybody their own wish...

Also makes it easier to look further; which I find helpfull to explore...

And who cares about human faces... pick a cat as char! :D Alot better...

I do not find the slower day/night cyclus bad especially since I HATE sleeping/waiting and the current daytime already forces it upon me to do that all the time due to those damned timed actions (shop at day, meet me at X time, arena between 8 and 8 etc.) In MW I only slept 1 hour for levelups and that was it for sleeping/waiting but in Oblivion I am forced to do so frequently...

Someone mentioned the tutorial skill gains not staying with him - just thought I'd mention they stuck for me, I entered the 'world' as a Journeyman sneaker. You probably got glitched or something.

Why would that not surprise me? :huh:

But I actually rather think you just picked Sneaking as major skill and that caused it, not the actual stuff you did during the tutorial...

And on the skill package; I play the game as intended. Meaning primary get used primarily and I level up when I get the level up message (usually with +2 bonusses somewhere). It does make the game kind of difficult though, but so far I managed to keep alive at 50 without having started the MQ and thus not in possession of any of the "sigil" stones I hear everyone talk about...

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

the fast day/night cycle is bad if you're a vampire, which i am.

the scaling system is the most ridiculous thing i've ever seen. total joke. i can't even begin to describe how ridiculous that is. oh it gripes me. this is probably the one thing that has made me not like the game above all else. once nwn2 comes out, it will get shelved permanently right next to morrowind.

the levelling system is number two on my list, but if the scale joke went away, it would be fine to level based on major skills as it is.

other than that...

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Very good game. I got it on the 360, as I didn't enjoy a single mod for Morrowind that I played on the PC, the only ones I ever used were graphics and city expansions. I had to take a break from it though because of the horribly implemented scaling system, which breaks immersion and for me at least, breaks gameplay. I'm probably going to play it again today after about three weeks of letting it gather dust, and don't get me wrong, everything else is perfect as far as I'm concerned, but that scaling stuff is the biggest case of dropping the ball on an impossible to ruin game that I've seen. I just can't understand why they would do that, it's on par with Microsoft having a perfect E3...and then showing off a Shadowrun mod for Counter Strike.

agreed. this is probably the number one complaint i've heard, btw.

scaling as it should be implemented is to have default levels for certain areas. typically, as you progress through the game, the newer areas you encounter are harder. the scaling comes into play when you are going into an area and they adjust the difficulty plus or minus from the default to make it tough for you, but not overpowering. however, the plus/minus is limited to make sure that you aren't dropping in to areas you shouldn't be in (insta death situations... "i'll come back later"), but also that some areas just plain get easy to deal with later.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

I've completed this game. It was great. However, I'll lend my voice to the anti-scaling crowd. Just nuts. I plan on playing it again, but only after I have my new system.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Good Lord, Bok, what the hell are you on about? No, I didn't do all the side quests. It was a pretty damned long game just doing the quests I did. The game is huge. HUGE, I tell you!

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

But I actually rather think you just picked Sneaking as major skill and that caused it, not the actual stuff you did during the tutorial...

They only raise you to 25/Apprentice from picking the Major Skill, IIRC. And I think they only do so if your skill lvl isn't already 25...otherwise they add nothing, perhaps.

I reloaded a save and abused sneak even more than I had before, then went up to the point where you pick your class w/the King's guard, and this time I was an Expert. When I left sewers I still was, along with the 75 Sneak level.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I stole a horse to check those out, and they feel rather awkward to ride/control. But they look cool...although I could have done without the anatomically correct behind that I noticed when zooming around it in 3rd person.

Has anyone here made any mods themselves? I downloaded the editor, going to mess with that.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

All the mods I use come from that list. Jarod's Texture replacements rock. I also used the DarkUI system with the Dark Loading screens. The game looks and feels more of a PC game than a Port.

Edited by Judge Hades

That wasn't a mod attempt, Hades...that was a game graphic glitch then a crash.

I wouldn't mind that one myself. The huge interface icons and menus are irritating.

Most mods I don't bother with tho, cause too many and they start to conflict or just become a pain to keep track of certain things. Plus I see a lot of ones tha aren't neccesary since you can achieve their affects w/the console commands.

But interface and the improved textures, I'll have to try those. Or any cool new dungeons people make, perhaps. The editor looks pretty much the same 'format' as MW, shouldn't be hard to get the hang of things.

http://btmod.beider.org/

This is the interface mod I use. Very good.

I also use Natural Environments by Max Tael, especially the water mod is good. Then there are some HUGE mods I use for better looking distant textures and landscapes (LOD Normal Map replacement for Oblivion and Landscape LOD replacement textures for Oblivion).

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

:angry:  :angry:

Looks an awfull lot like the issues I had during DS2 when my PC overheated (especially the mess seen on the icon shares a resemblance)

Is it still cool inside the box of your PC?

^

I agree that that is such a stupid idiotic pathetic garbage hateful retarded scumbag evil satanic nazi like term ever created. At least top 5.

TSLRCM Official Forum || TSLRCM Moddb || My other KOTOR2 mods || TSLRCM (English version) on Steam || [M4-78EP on Steam

Formerly known as BattleWookiee/BattleCookiee

Is it still cool inside the box of your PC?

Far as I can tell, yes. I don't have the tools to measure heat right on the vid card tho. But not hot in the case, at any rate. Air blown out by the rear fan is still cool. Oblivion's crashed to desktop on me randomly a few times too. Just bugs I think.

@mrkreku - thanks, that's much better for the inventory and stuff, and I like the weapon durability indictor etc. Can you use it to shrink the size of the health/map/weapon icons while playing, as well? I think those are too large too. I haven't figured that out. I'm spending more time tweaking this game than playing. Argh.