Top 10 Most Overrated Bands

thepixiesrock

you really think "Seek and Destroy" is better than "Enter Sandman" or "Master of Puppets" or "One"? 

I don't think so.

Metallica rules.  Others imitate.

Master of Puppets and One are before The Black Album, jackass. And yes, all of those are better than Enter Sandman, Unforgiven, Nothing Else Matters, etc.

Metallica are sellouts. They are in the number one position concerning overrated bands.

will someone please explain to me how a band that hardly ever gets any air time is a sellout?

they sell albums but get next to no air time. why? quality.

they are a touring band that sell records based on word of mouth.

it is easy to overrate excellence. and if Metallica is overrated, so be it.

No air time. Right, because I don't have the videos for Enter Sandman, Nothing Else Matters and even the recent Frantic memorized.

You have absolutely no idea about Metallica. They 'sold out' (god, I hate that term, but it is absolute applicable here) not because they got more air time, but because every album they made after ...And Justice For All is more bad grunge ripoff than well-written trash metal epics. Save St. Anger, which is n

Edited by TrueNeutral

Master of Puppets and One are before The Black Album, jackass. And yes, all of those are better than Enter Sandman, Unforgiven, Nothing Else Matters, etc.

you are right, I was wrong on the chronology. sorry about that.

You have absolutely no idea about Metallica. They 'sold out' (god, I hate that term, but it is absolute applicable here) not because they got more air time, but because every album they made after ...And Justice For All is more bad grunge ripoff than well-written trash metal epics. Save St. Anger, which is n

Thrash metal :D

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

They do seem to be in something of an identity crisis at the moment and I hope that they find their center of gravity again.

I hope that isn't becasue James Hetfield is sober :rolleyes:

No. It's because they are all sober. When musicians stop drinking(etc) they start "working".

:blink:

ok, I like the "trash metal" of their earlier days.  I also like it when they grew up.

that's all I'm saying.  The Black Album is one of their best offerings.  I also like Load and Garage Inc.

I disagree. I think songs like One, Fade To Black, Eye Of The Beholder, Disposable Heroes(personally, my favourite Metallica song) and For Whom The Bell Tolls display a lot more maturity than songs like Fuel, Better Than You, Ain't My Bitch and The Struggle Within (which I have dubbed 'It Cuts Itself').

During their trash metal period, with the exception of Kill 'Em All which was mostly about... well, killing 'em all, they wrote some of the deepest, most personal songs. From the Black Album and forward, a lot of them became incredibly trivial. Songs like The Unforgiven II that have no value are way too common now, Sad But True and Slither (which might as well be called Enter Sandman Too) make it seem like they can't think of new things to write songs about.

That doesn't mean to most Metallica isn't still better than what other bands have to offer, but compared to their earlier work? There's just no contest.

Also, Cliff, goddammit. Cliff brought so much special stuff to early Metallica while Newsted is just another bassist. Newsted wasn't terrible like some would have you believe, he was a good bassist, but Cliff was exceptionally great.

Besides that, the guitar in post Black Album is too much rhythm. Kirk is horribly underused. Especially on St. Anger, where there are no solos whatsoever.

It's too bad that Cliff had to die and they never worked up the guts to tell Ulrich that HE.CAN'T.DRUM. Otherwise, they'd probably be just as epic as they used to be.

Off the Metallica subject - If I hear some **** scream Freebird at another show, I'm going to throw a hissy fit and then shoot people at my school and blame this message board. The media will eat it up.

WTF? Of Wolf and Man, I mean come on a song about being the wolfman? Its not even a joke, he seriously wrote a song about being a werewolf.

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

trite nonsensical lyrics > werewolf lyrics

Ofcourse thats after these guys got together and decided to name their metal band Metallica, clever.

Edited by Laozi

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Metallica wasn't the first band to tie it all together.

There was Black Sabbath/Ozzie (a bit too dingy, but still very good stuff).

There was Blue Oyster Cult (admittedly, a lighter sound).

There was Led Zeppelin (lighter? yes, but way out there for its time).

But Metallica just did it a little better than their predecessors, IMO.

>>>I disagree. I think songs like One, Fade To Black, Eye Of The Beholder, Disposable Heroes(personally, my favourite Metallica song) and For Whom The Bell Tolls display a lot more maturity than songs like Fuel, Better Than You, Ain't My Bitch and The Struggle Within (which I have dubbed 'It Cuts Itself').<<<

I think Fade To Black is one of the best songs ever captured on plastic...PERIOD. The others you mentioned are also very good.

I like the false ending in Master of Puppets....good stuff.

I like Bleeding Me and Until It Sleeps (from Load).

I like Metallica's cover of Turn the Page and Whiskey in the Jar.

>>>Besides that, the guitar in post Black Album is too much rhythm. Kirk is horribly underused. Especially on St. Anger, where there are no solos whatsoever.<<<

I read that the Slayeresque rythym guitar in St Anger was something of a return to their roots. Problem is, their roots also included solo lead guitar than can rival anything Eddie Van Halen, Steve Vai, or any of the rest of them are doing. How or why they ever decided to do that is beyond me. Hopefully, they will get it next time.

Edited by Plano Skywalker

I think Fade To Black is one of the best songs ever captured on plastic...PERIOD.  The others you mentioned are also very good.

I like the false ending in Master of Puppets....good stuff.

Fade to Black is the best song they created. Ride the Lightning was their best album with Master of Puppets close to it.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

Fade To Black is exceptional but I think Disposable Heroes is their best song.

you realize newsted is gone now, right?

taks

Also, Cliff, goddammit. Cliff brought so much special stuff to early Metallica while Newsted is just another bassist. Newsted wasn't terrible like some would have you believe, he was a good bassist, but Cliff was exceptionally great.

I point you towards the past tense in my sentences, 'wasn't' and 'was'. It is irrelevant to bring Rob into this because he hasn't done anything yet, the producer played bass on St. Anger.

Fade To Black is exceptional but I think Disposable Heroes is their best song.

you realize newsted is gone now, right?

taks

I point you towards the past tense in my sentences, 'wasn't' and 'was'. It is irrelevant to bring Rob into this because he hasn't done anything yet, the producer played bass on St. Anger.

Bob Rock played bass on St-Anger?