English language spreading like cancer

Hildegard

Chirac is an arrogant pompous p***k, always has been, always will be.

I mean you don't see the Germans (who has 20 million more people than France) get all worked up over something like this, do you?

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

I mean you don't see the Germans (who has 20 million more people than France) get all worked up over something like this, do you?

Actually dubbing movies/programs instead of subbing them could be seen as first sign of this kind of stuff.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Everyone dubs, except for small countries like those of Scandinavia+Finland. Travel to any middle-large sized Euro country (or middle eastern country for that matter) and you'll quickly realize this.

However in my online experience Germans do know how to use English, quite unlike the French. But of course, as with any other people, they'll prefer to speak their own language when chance presents itself.

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

Am I the only one who doesn't see whats so funny?

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Harray! I'm non-conformist!

Lou Gutman, P.I.- It's like I'm not even trying anymore!
http://theatomicdanger.iforumer.com/index....theatomicdanger

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the galaxy. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips. I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my viens. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk, and free throw. I am there.

Chirac is a bigot. And, he probably would hate me. LOL

Volourn = Frenchie who is everything but French. :-

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Link

Mr Chirac added: "I was profoundly shocked to see a Frenchman express himself in English at the table."

:(  :lol:  :lol:

Isn't that the same guy everyone hates?

I guess so.

Everyone dubs, except for small countries like those of Scandinavia+Finland. Travel to any middle-large sized Euro country (or middle eastern country for that matter) and you'll quickly realize this.

However in my online experience Germans do know how to use English, quite unlike the French. But of course, as with any other people, they'll prefer to speak their own language when chance presents itself.

And than insult you in it. Gotta love the French.

Volourn = Frenchie who is everything but French. :rolleyes:

That is why we like you Volo. :)

We do? :huh:

Technically...no.

Yep that's like saying Volourn's a man. ;)

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

This has been French policy for decades, carried out through La Francophonie. Where schools in foreign countries have a choice of which foreign language to teach students, there's often a sizeable reward in terms of resources for schools that pick French. I don't think there are many takers, though.

English is the dominant global language of the globalisation era, but native speakers be warned - it's not your version of English, whether British or American, it's International English and belongs to no-one. Moreover, who's to say how long it will last? The next global language could easily be Spanish, Chinese or even Esperanto.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Or Danish!..... :thumbsup:

Maybe not... 8)

DENMARK!

Link

Mr Chirac added: "I was profoundly shocked to see a Frenchman express himself in English at the table."

8)  :(  :)

Isn't that the same guy everyone hates?

I guess so.

And than insult you in it. Gotta love the French.

Volourn = Frenchie who is everything but French. :thumbsup:

That is why we like you Volo. :)

We do? :huh:

Technically...no.

Yep that's like saying Volourn's a man. ;)

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...

A thread was dedicated to the research of teh Magical Volo's gender. The results were inconclusive, but many speculate that he is fact some kind of rogue construct. Initial paranoia had set in claiming Volourn was a cyborg assassin sent from the future to kill us all. However, the general modern day consensus is that he's Wayne Gretzky personal pleasure golem. :cat:

manthing2.jpg

This has been French policy for decades, carried out through La Francophonie.  Where schools in foreign countries have a choice of which foreign language to teach students, there's often a sizeable reward in terms of resources for schools that pick French.  I don't think there are many takers, though. 

English is the dominant global language of the globalisation era, but native speakers be warned - it's not your version of English, whether British or American, it's International English and belongs to no-one.  Moreover, who's to say how long it will last?  The next global language could easily be Spanish, Chinese or even Esperanto.

More likely Spanish and English will hybridize, and Chinese will overtake us all ...

English's pre-eminence is due to:

• English being used on most of teH internetz (over half of the infrastructure is US)
  • Enlgish being used (currently) as the language of science
  • speakers of English as a second language (especially the 300 million Madarin speakers) outnumbering native speakers
  • English cannibalizes from other tongues any inadequacy it has, and does this as well or better than any other language.

Any of these can change. English might then end up like Latin, with local dialectal derivatives of it surviving in isolation, were it not for the internet. Even if this process is inevitable, and the internet merely slows it down, "classic English" is here for the foreseeable future.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

"Any of these can change."

maybe.

we ain't never hade a true global language. latin weren't. english during pax britania weren't. none of the various defacto trade languages during height of mercantilism and empire building came close to being genuinely global. merchants and bureaucrats 'cross the globe not makes a language global, does it? most peoples actually continued to speak their mother tongue, and were unable to speak with the folks in the next valley beyond the hills to the west... or east... whatever.

the internet and airplane travel and all sorts o' other devices is making the world smaller, and english is the language that is being utilized as the language of choice during this process. listen to air traffic controllers in lisbon or shanghai. go to a large bank in bogota. correspond on the internet.

there is gonna be some kinda critical mass point reached beyond which it is gonna simply become too much trouble for folks 'round the globe to choose another language as the global one.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I don't mind english, but I hate american. I think Chirac is right in the quoted context, but I think it's pretty bad to dub movies for adults. Watching a movie where even zhe germans speak zhe americanisch is zhe vorst nitemare evar. 'Allo 'Allo is an exception of dub.

The European Union is not United States, but sovereign countries and should treat themselves as such and respect their differences and language just as well as their uh, indifferences.

(Signatures: disabled) 

"Any of these can change."

maybe.

we ain't never hade a true global language.  latin weren't.  english during pax britania weren't.  none of the various defacto trade languages during height of mercantilism and empire building came close to being genuinely global.  merchants and bureaucrats 'cross the globe not makes a language global, does it?  most peoples actually continued to speak their mother tongue, and were unable to speak with the folks in the next valley beyond the hills to the west... or east... whatever.

the internet and airplane travel and all sorts o' other devices is making the world smaller, and english is the language that is being utilized as the language of choice during this process.  listen to air traffic controllers in lisbon or shanghai.    go to a large bank in bogota.  correspond on the internet.

there is gonna be some kinda critical mass point reached beyond which it is gonna simply become too much trouble for folks 'round the globe to choose another language as the global one. 

HA! Good Fun!

Yeah, but if Darwin was right, we'll all be Chinese soon, anyway ... :-

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

classic english?

isn't that like "ye oulde tyme english" or verily shakespearian?

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.