Oblivion First Impressions

Hurlshort

Installing the game right now. I'm planning on avoiding the radiant AI as much as possible and murder all those idiots who'll engage in conversation with each other. My primary focus will be the main storyline and that will be the only thing I plan on commenting on later on, unless I find any surprises.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

One other thing was my horse seems incredibly slow, even at a gallop it moves slower than my character can run.  I hope some horses are faster than others - maybe I just stole a slow one

Sounds like one of those cheapy EQ horses :) . Any other benifits to riding other than speed ?

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I miss my horse from Daggerfall :-

It was a horsehead-sprite positioned at the bottom of the screen, and it made these insane hoof-sounds when you ran around like a racecar through the city streets. I laughed so hard at that and then I got used to it and just couldn't walk anymore :)

I hope the horses are just as cool in Oblivion.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Installing the game right now. I'm planning on avoiding the radiant AI as much as possible and murder all those idiots who'll engage in conversation with each other. My primary focus will be the main storyline and that will be the only thing I plan on commenting on later on, unless I find any surprises.

Try the dark brotherhood guild too, or the thief or mage guild. :)

Reports indicate that a horse with an arrow stuck in its butt and angrily stomping at enemies is a definite possibility.

Well I just looked over the 360 release radar and It's horribly pathetic.

http://shop.gameplay.co.uk/webstore/releas...06&radar_show=1

Two possible titles in may(gear of war dosnt have a cover which usually means prone to slippage) and three possibles right at the very end of august.

Looks like Oblivion is off the immediate purchase list.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

As for narcissism.  Obviously, I was joking in regards to "I'd do me."

I knew that ... I've seen a picture. :-"

I miss my horse from Daggerfall :(

It was a horsehead-sprite positioned at the bottom of the screen, and it made these insane hoof-sounds when you ran around like a racecar through the city streets. I laughed so hard at that and then I got used to it and just couldn't walk anymore :ermm:

Sounds like Ultima ][! (w00t)

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

They've said many times that where won't be a demo.

This is bad... First make a system monster, and then don't release any demo. Sorry but i don't pay full price for a computer game that may not run properly on my computer. I can't take that risk.

I love consoles for that reason.

Edited by karka
centinexx.png

Same. I'd download to see if it did work, but NZ broadband gives you 30kbps on a 4gb d/l. :ermm:

Good thing NZ is slack about refund policies.

God loves NZ he gave us boiling mud AND that's why we have Australia! :ermm:

Edited by metadigital

Why won't it get here!? Pleeease! Just arrive already! I need something to take my mind off things, damn it all! Why, God! Why must you torment me so!? SADISTIC MOTHER F-...

Oh....um...ahem. Hi.

I've yet to get the game yet burn in hell, UPS but when I do, rest assured, you'll get an opinion which, seriously, I know none of you care about to help you all in making an informed Feh. Not bloody likely decision.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

"Hey, is Oblivion coming in?"

"Yes, it's released already."

"No. I mean the PC version. I know that for some unfathomable reason the 360 version was released earlier."

"That's cause we dont have the PC version yet."

"But the release is tomrrow."

"Hopefully."

Oblivion has horsies.

And trees. Don't you dare to forget about the precious trees :-

Bah, no release yet where i live. One can only spam while waiting.

Edited by Meshugger

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Screenshot time! This is my ninja character, Mr. Awesome.

1.jpg

Look at those next-gen graphics!

2.jpg

3.jpg

I just got out of the first dungeon. The game is 'decent' so far, though the motivation given to you is pretty meh. Now, if on the other hand you're somehow allowed to go smuggle the mystic amulet of salvation, with that path being actually a possible part of the storyline, THEN I'll be impressed. Can't comment too much on the story so far. The Patrick Steward character is a pile of monkey doodoo - no wonder they needed a celebrity to hype him up. Like I said, NOT impressed by my character's 'motivation' so far.

Of course, the first dungeon featured mostly combat and exploration, so I'll give the story a chance. As for those two aspects, they pretty much feel like Morrowind 2.0. Melee combat still feels completely simplistic, and exploration is standard Morrowind fare. Pick things up, open chests, etc, etc. There's some sort of lockpicking minigame too, and it didn't make me throw up yet, so that's a good sign.

Graphics are, well, you can see for yourself on the screenshots.

4.jpg

Not that it matters - the important part is functionality. So far, the graphics are functional, which is all I need. Game runs well, I don't complain. Physics are present, but every freaking game has them nowadays. They haven't added anything to the gameplay yet, anyway.

Interface 'looks' nice, if it were the 360 version. Easy to scroll around, I guess. Of course, font/size crap is completely not customizable. On the bright side, it's approved by the institution for the visually-impaired. In the grand scheme, these nitpicks are irrelevant. Same could be said for whatever dumbing down or consolization of the game. Irrelevant drivel, that. Give me something to chew on, and I'll forgive all the nitpicks.

Music, of course, is Llyranor-approved. It's standard Jeremy Soule fare, so if you like him, you'll like it. I was a big fan of Morrowind's music already, anyway. There's no surprise here, since I bought the soundtrack off DirectSong beforehand.

Impressions so far: Well, I can't say it's hopeless. There's some potential. That alone is already a 100-fold improvement from Morrowind. Most of the details above are irrelevant. The important point is that it at least looks like Bethie invested some actual time into the main storyline. The writing is nothing to write home about yet, but it's not seizure-inducing yet. Again, I've just scratched the surface, so it's hard to say either way. The PC responses are pretty irrelevant so far, but that's a part I'm willing to shut completely out of my impressions of the game, else I'll end up murdering someone.

Highlight of the game: Falling off a cliff increased my acrobatics skills.

5.jpg

Edited by Llyranor

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

That limpwristed way the character holds his weapon is still of Morrowindlike hillarity :D IF youre going to have a hand cluthing a weapon, it better look like its clutching it, not just softly fondling its handle :)"

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "