Oblivion First Impressions

Hurlshort

Okay, I need some help.

I bought the haunted house in Anvil, slept in it, was attacked, cleared the entire house and basement of ghosts, found the idiot who sold me the house, and I can't continue. The guy just keeps telling me that he won't go while the quest-o-matic insists I need to convince him to come. I've maxed our relationship, but maybe I should bribe him to 100. Any ideas, muchachos?

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Remember those cool free plugins Bethesda released for Morrowind shortly after release? Well, we're not getting them for Oblivion. Armoured horses is out tomorrow but you have to pay 2 dollars to download it. :( I hate this trend of paying for dribs and drabs of a game.

We now bring you live footage from the World Championship Staring Final.

staringcontest8og.gif

Okay, I need some help.

I bought the haunted house in Anvil, slept in it, was attacked, cleared the entire house and basement of ghosts, found the idiot who sold me the house, and I can't continue.  The guy just keeps telling me that he won't go while the quest-o-matic insists I need to convince him to come.  I've maxed our relationship, but maybe I should bribe him to 100.  Any ideas, muchachos?

Eldar did you pick up the diary scrap and skeleton hand next to the glowing green bowl on the main floor of the house? You need that to continue but beware as a lot of people are having trouble with continuing this quest.

staringcontest8og.gif

Remember those cool free plugins Bethesda released for Morrowind shortly after release?  Well, we're not getting them for Oblivion.  Armoured horses is out tomorrow but you have to pay 2 dollars to download it. :(  I hate this trend of paying for dribs and drabs of a game.

You're kidding...right? :(

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Well;

1) All used stuff either is stuffed in boxes, or is bought in shops. Enemies drop nothing you really will use. Not in my experience atleast...

2) You mentioned everybody should walk around in dwarven when level 10. Well I newly found a place at that level and all they were wearing was fur; except 2 outside who had iron stuff...

So you tell me the Bethesda devs have a FIXED 40 gold drop behind a Very Hard lockpick? These damn sadists! I think these boxes get pretty random loot... or is every box you find in a random cave handpicked filled with utter crap so the low-levelers cannot find good stuff in the begin? And wasn't Umbra a Orc you fought to dead in Morrowind? Must be wrong, or the guy has a second life...

Please if you go ranting about me talking about Fixed items first check IF I talk about fixed items  :("

Once again, prove me that every chest in a random cave is not effected by this... as I haven't found Mega-

Unfortunately, no.  $2.50 for Xbox and $2 for PC.  They'd better be some monumentally impressive horse skins for $2.

They're pretty cool, but nothing vital to the success of the game. The elven armor for the horse looks really sweet.

Where's this stuff at? I don't see a word about it at the Elder Scrolls site.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Unfortunately, no.  $2.50 for Xbox and $2 for PC.  They'd better be some monumentally impressive horse skins for $2.

They're pretty cool, but nothing vital to the success of the game. The elven armor for the horse looks really sweet.

There's no way I'm paying for this, even if it does look really sweet. I take it there's no new quests or anything?

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3149261

Edited by Jumjalum

staringcontest8og.gif

I went expecting to bribe the fellow, but he just said he'd join me. Apparently, I must have picked something up in the interim. In the meantime, the quest is done. Having to fight the fellow in close quarters wasn't easy, but I managed it. For all that, I have a brand new home. Woo Hoo.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

There's no way I'm paying for this, even if it does look really sweet.  I take it there's no new quests or anything?

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3149261

Nobody is forcing you to DL it. But for a lot of people, it's worth it, as the armor adds to their gaming experience.

Yeah, I know. But it's a worrying precedent when 2 skins sell for a buck each.

staringcontest8og.gif

Yeah, I pretty much hate it. If it works, then it will be common practice. Of course, I don't blame Bethesda for trying to make some money. It's their obligation to work out new and better ways of making money for their shareholders. I, for one, will nevertheless avoid making these sorts of purchases. Now, if they add content worth $2, and that doesn't mean a new skin for my hateful, worthless horse, then I'll shell out the cash for that content.

I might pay $2 for a mod that allows me to feed my horse to an attacking mountain lion.

Obsidian Plays

If it is, it's a good idea. They might make money from it. As gamers, we shouldn't expect developers to design, program, and distribute these games for free. Save the vitriol for real issues, not online content. The ship has sailed on that one.

Obsidian Plays

10K, you might also want to realise that you are drwaing your conclusions from your experiences as a singular user of Oblivion, just as everybody else is doing so rom theirs - therefore, unless one of us is an absolute retard (which is, sadly, untrue), all of them are just as valid as the other. Your putting everyone down because they had a different experience is both illogical and uncouth.

Unless you headed Beth QA or something, in which case I have a great dark corner I can hide and cry in.

Horse armor is simply the first. There is more content coming that is much more worthwhile.

Not when you live in NZ where everyone uses EFTPOS accounts which cannot pay for online bills. It's a major hassle for anyone that is not streamlined into the major credit card businesses.

If it is, it's a good idea.  They might make money from it.  As gamers, we shouldn't expect developers to design, program, and distribute these games for free.  Save the vitriol for real issues, not online content.  The ship has sailed on that one.

Well not from me anyway. Come friday I will be happily playing DQVIII and Oblivion will be a mostly pleasent but distant memory.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Ok, I could use some armour for my unicorn (that would be my next playthrough). But pay for such a minor upgrade? Ok, if they had done something about the balance in the game, or add more quests. Perhaps a few new spells or unique items.. But horse armour only? It's not a lot of money, but it still feels like paying for basically nothing.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Didn't like Morrowind. My pc is ridicilously slow (p4 1.7, 768ram, ati 9600). But I'm hooked.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

If it is, it's a good idea.  They might make money from it.  As gamers, we shouldn't expect developers to design, program, and distribute these games for free.  Save the vitriol for real issues, not online content.  The ship has sailed on that one.

It's a problem if they start holding things back that originally were going into the retail version to charge for them online though.

As a consumer, I think the idea is friggin terrible. I don't care whether it's good for making higher profits for the companies involved or not. Games are expensive enough already without pulling some garbage like charging cash for armor for your horsies in a video game.

My guess is Microsoft needed to provide developers more incentive to create online content for their Xbox games, in order to make Xbox Live seem more viable. After all, why would developers want to make free content for games just to help Microsoft sell Live accounts? So they made the stupid Marketplace where developers could charge for additional "content".

This example is just an omen of that crummy model trickling down to PC users. Next some jack-ass developer will get the idea to start charging for patches that fix bugs and make the game more stable. So yeah, even though no one is forcing you to buy this upgrade, initial business models like what's happening here will likely lead to trends that will only end up hurting the consumer and the industry IMO.

Edited by StillLife

It's a problem if they start holding things back that originally were going into the retail version to charge for them online though.

As a consumer, I think the idea is friggin terrible.  I don't care whether it's good for making higher profits for the companies involved or not.  Games are expensive enough already without pulling some garbage like charging cash for armor for your horsies in a video game.

My guess is Microsoft needed to provide developers more incentive to create online content for their Xbox games, in order to make Xbox Live seem more viable.  After all, why would developers would want to make free content for games just to help Microsoft sell Live accounts?  So they made the stupid marketplace where developers could charge for additional "content". 

This example is just one the signs of that crummy model trickling down to PC users.  Next some jack-ass developer will get the idea to start charging for patches that fix bugs and make the game more stable.  So yeah, even though no one is forcing you to buy this upgrade, initial business models like what's happening here will likely lead to trends that will only end up hurting the consumer and the industry IMO.

I'm not totally in one camp or another. Although this frivilous "mod" so soon after release strikes me as a cynical attempt to make people pay even more for stuff that should have been part of the package.

Heres what has me thinking. If developers are going to make money off "official" mods. Will they stop people modding the games ? After all people making free mods would be cutting into their business.

You would also run into issues with people using pay for play mods as a basis for thier own mods too.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

My take is that if some developers start nerfing their releases, then other developers will become more popular. I don't think the average consumer is so desperately stupid that they're going to pay substantial amounts of money for things they don't want.

Now, if they made a mod that made horses more of a convenience than some stupid gimick that all sorts of folks simply must have, then I'd be on board and might, although not likely, pay to have.

EDIT: Oh, and by the way, my StillLife friend, you'd better hope companies make money developing and publishing game, because our hobby is all but dead if they don't.

Edited by Eldar

Obsidian Plays