KotoR 3: Ideas and Suggestions

I don't think Diablo 2 is a very good example (I assume you mean Diablo 2 and not Diablo 1) for distinct templates.  How many people actually play Elemental Druids.  And the last time I played Hammerdins were coming out of the woodwork.

In Hardcore it gets even worse, with every sorceress being cold spec.  Barbs were all frenzy barbs.  There was no such thing as an assassin.  It was much worse to find out that by the time you got to hell, no one wanted to party with you because you were a fire sorceress.  Though I guess Barbarians won't ever get to cast spells (though that wasn't the case in the original Diablo).  There's no overlap between classes, but is it really much better when everybody of a particular class is a carbon copy of each other?

It's different when you add a competative element. It's also a balance between the difficulty level of the game and the usefulness of the skills. No question that certain builds are more effective , but then you can say the same about any RPG since that is what powergaming is about.

I did for example play an Elemental Druid. I also played a Werewolf Druid and a Bear Druid. Likewise I played a poison based Necro and a summoning based Necro. Would they be considered competative on battlenet ? Highly unlikely could they survive HC hell level ? Again highly unlikely, but that can be said for many builds too.

Diablo II covers many different play elements I expect where the game focused around HC play only then you would see more differences. The key factor with HC play being you cant really afford to die.

If you were to take KOTOR online, then thats exactly what you would get every character a carbon copy of each other anyway.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Nothing stops you from incorporating the same principles when making your character in KOTOR as well. You were the one that started talking about how it was "gimping" your character. It's gimping as much as taking an Elemental Druid is over anything else.

This, combined with other (some long ago) threads, makes me think you just aren't a fan of making a choice, or at least when presented with one, are incapable of picking something other than what you think is the best. You've made this distinction in the class based vs skill based thread as well. I'd rather keep my character creation as open ended as possible, rather than supporting lazy ideas such as having characters follow preset paths. I'd much rather the effort go into making the force powers more useful and applicable, rather than imposing artificial restrictions.

Nothing stops you from incorporating the same principles when making your character in KOTOR as well.  You were the one that started talking about how it was "gimping" your character.  It's gimping as much as taking an Elemental Druid is over anything else.

This, combined with other (some long ago) threads, makes me think you just aren't a fan of making a choice, or at least when presented with one, are incapable of picking something other than what you think is the best.  You've made this distinction in the class based vs skill based thread as well.  I'd rather keep my character creation as open ended as possible, rather than supporting lazy ideas such as having characters follow preset paths.  I'd much rather the effort go into making the force powers more useful and applicable, rather than imposing artificial restrictions.

An elemental Druid is a very distinct character.

Well you would be wrong. I'm fine with choices, but If I replay games I like to be able to do it in a different way. Example Wolf/Bear/Elemental Druid.

What I dont like to do is purposely pick things which are useless to the character for no reason. You dont purposely learn useless skills in real life, so why would an RPG character ?

To do that bothers my roleplaying sensibilities as much as powergaming does.

Fine making the force powers more useful and or varied works too. I'm not particularly bothered which direction a solution comes from.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

What I dont like to do is purposely pick things which are useless to the character for no reason. You dont purposely learn useless skills in real life, so why would an RPG character ?

You had no problems playing an elemental Druid.

Indeed I could and did.

Never got above level 43 or so myself...

Then again I didn't try to. After all, once you reach about level 35, what's the point? By then you really should have all the force powers you want, and the enemies scale as well, which just makes the game tougher the further you go.

Not a lasting one anyway. But if K3 takes place a few years after K2, there could be an emerging "council" on Coruscant. If the Exile is LS, those could be his companions.

true....in theory, there should be one on Coruscant. K1 established that the Dantooine one was specifically for training and that the main one was on Coruscant.

of course, given where the story is now, they could play it any number of ways.

Guest The Architect

The is the way I see it...

LS Exile (New Jedi Order on Coruscant) - Members include Atton, Bao-Dur, Visas, Brianna, Mical, Mira and Atris. If Revan is LS, then Bastila, Jolee and Juhani would be members too...

DS Exile (New Sith Empire on Korriban) - Members include Atton, Bao-Dur, Visas, Brianna, Mical, Darth Nihilus and Darth Sion. If Revan is DS, then Bastila and two new Sith Masters Rybik Yule and Kafal Aseru would be members too...

You'll notice how the numbers are even for both sides. Anyone else agree with this? If you want to know why I'd propose Darth Nihilus and Darth Sion being alive for a DS Exile then I'll explain...

Guest The Architect

Latest Poll Standings

I (32)

K (30)

F (15)

J (12)

A (7)

L (6)

B (4)

N (3)

M (3)

H (3)

D (2)

G (1)

C (1)

E (1)

Those damn stooges from the LucasArts forums are the ones responsible for all those 'I' votes. It sucks how 'I' is winning. Go 'K'!

Should they bring back Revan and teh Exile? I think they should but not as someone who can join you. Have them be in cameos like they did for Carth and Bastila.

Should they be part of the story? I would like to see this happen, only to get closure on those two and not leave it open.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

A few things I thought of playing TSL on my sick day

More difficulty options, I wanted more swag but tougher enemies and had to settle for one over the other.

Npc's should react to fights, I had a commoner calmly way between me and the rodian guard I was killing for no particular reason (he was staring at me), took me completely out of the game.

The workbench should show items in use on other items when you're creating underlays and such. Also the upgrade screen should show who has what equipped, I'm sick of maxing out a saber for the wrong gal, It'd really be nice if you could name a particular item as part of the customization process.

Yaw devs, Yaw!!! (

the workbench does need some streamlining:

* make it so where you don't have to step away from it to do another task with it.

* I agree about the inventory thing....IMO, there should be individual inventory...that way, you can only work on what you have on you or what is not otherwise equiped.

* make it so where ANY character can go to the workbench....I want my Bao-Dur character on the workbench, not my PC (into which I sink all those Persuade skill points).

* I really don't think having the ability to make uber Pazaak cards adds anything to the Pazaak experience....I would prefer to not be able to manufacture them. (Well, I don't really like the idea of carrying around a side deck anyway...they should explore the whole "he's cheating with unsanctioned cards" angle with regard to premium cards....that would be interesting and realistic)

Guest The Architect

http://xbox360.ign.com/objects/793/793795.html

Most people beleive that Obsidian Entertainment is developing Knights of the Old Republic III and that it's going to be for the X-Box 360, the PS3 and the PC. A lot of the folk from the LucasArts Forums beleive that in about the next month or so around March-April this year that LucasArts is going to officially announce Knights of the Old Republic III but I think some people may be jumping to conclusions.

According to a January 17th 2006 report from Douglass C.Perry of IGN it says that 'Obsidian Entertainment is currently working on three unannounced role-playing games, according to job listing site Creative Heads. Comprised of former several Black Isle and BioWare creators, Obsidian appears to be expanding with work expressly for next-generation and PC platforms. One game, listed as a third-person action-RPG for Xbox 360 and PS3, is possibly the third in the Knights of the Old Republic series. Neither LucasArts nor Obsidian would confirm a renewal of their work done on Knights of the Old Republic: The Sith Lords. According to a source close to the development team, Obsidian may not have sealed the deal yet for KOTOR 3.' This is what seems to make people beleive that K3 is getting made, but I'm still not 100% sure.

The is the way I see it...

LS Exile  (New Jedi Order on Coruscant)  -  Members include Atton, Bao-Dur, Visas, Brianna, Mical, Mira and Atris. If Revan is LS, then Bastila, Jolee and Juhani would be members too...

DS Exile  (New Sith Empire on Korriban)  -  Members include Atton, Bao-Dur, Visas, Brianna, Mical, Darth Nihilus and Darth Sion. If Revan is DS, then Bastila and two new Sith Masters Rybik Yule and Kafal Aseru would be members too...

You'll notice how the numbers are even for both sides. Anyone else agree with this? If you want to know why I'd propose Darth Nihilus and Darth Sion being alive for a DS Exile then I'll explain...

I don't see Jolee as a council member, at least not early on in K3. He's just a tad too grey for that, and it would take some serious convincing to make him join the council. I'm far more likely to think he's back in selcusion somewhere...

Juhani might be a better candidate, but for some reason I always think of her as one of the jedi who died on Katarr when Nihilus attacked. Maybe that's because it's otherwise only characters that know very little or nothing about that died on Katarr, and I think someone should be lost there, that we care about. Then again, Vandar died there... (if Revan is LS in K1)

I also don't think you should put Mical and Brinna on DS. If the Exile is DS, then one of them will be, but the other one never joined the Exile, and they were both LS to begin with. To me that means that at least one of them will always be LS, and both will if the Exile is LS.

And why would there be a Sith empire on Korriban? Those would not be the "true Sith", and the rest of the sith are scattered and defeated after the fall of the Sith Lords in K2.

* make it so where ANY character can go to the workbench....I want my Bao-Dur character on the workbench, not my PC (into which I sink all those Persuade skill points).

Someone would probably argue that this is so because it's an option for the PC to increase his skills in one direction or the other.

But yeah, it rather defeats the purpose of having a top-notch mechanic/engineer guy around, if the game won't allow you use him to fix stuff for you...

Someone would probably argue that this is so because it's an option for the PC to increase his skills in one direction or the other.

But yeah, it rather defeats the purpose of having a top-notch mechanic/engineer guy around, if the game won't allow you use him to fix stuff for you...

You should also be able to pay for those services(if you lack the skills). Another thing you should be able to do is combine items. Anyone familiar with the FFIX synthesis shops ? You could combine what were useless items (since you had already found better) into something that you could use again. This had two real consequences. Selling stuff became a risk since you couldnt be sure if you would need something very basic (that was no longer old) in order to create a powerful synthesis.

It was always a good idea to buy some extras just in case a recipe required more than one of a particular item.

478327[/snapback]

Guest The Architect
I don't see Jolee as a council member, at least not early on in K3. He's just a tad too grey for that, and it would take some serious convincing to make him join the council. I'm far more likely to think he's back in selcusion somewhere...

Juhani might be a better candidate, but for some reason I always think of her as one of the jedi who died on Katarr when Nihilus attacked. Maybe that's because it's otherwise only characters that know very little or nothing about that died on Katarr, and I think someone should be lost there, that we care about. Then again, Vandar died there... (if Revan is LS in K1)

I also don't think you should put Mical and Brinna on DS. If the Exile is DS, then one of them will be, but the other one never joined the Exile, and they were both LS to begin with. To me that means that at least one of them will always be LS, and both will if the Exile is LS.

And why would there be a Sith empire on Korriban? Those would not be the "true Sith", and the rest of the sith are scattered and defeated after the fall of the Sith Lords in K2.

Your right Jediphile

Lots of cut scenes (movies) and talks between chars. Also add timed events and maybe random happenings (not encounters!!!)

On another KOTOR forum, me and another poster had this idea about bounty hunting. On most planets there would be either a bounty office or a "shady character" that would give out bounties. Some would be kills, others captures or even scavenger hunting. The good part was that each bounty's location would be random across the K3 galaxy/region so the player would need to actually investigate, look for clues, interrogate witnesses, etc. Some bounties could even be quest related, like starting the game as a bounty hunter and picking up the job to bring in Revan or something...

(w00t)

So we are down to Jedi Council members now, right.

Anyway: Masters Deesra, Bolook, Chodo Habat

LSF Exile: Added by Mical

LSM Exile: Added by Brianna

An optional for a LS Exile: Atris

LS Revan: Added by Bastila and Juhani

Optionals: Kel Algwinn and Yuthura Ban

If both Revan and Exile are DS it is only Deesra, Bolook and Chodo Habat

Yes, the largest Council would be 9, but you can bring it down to just 3.

Master Vandar lives!

I don't see why Jolee would have a problem. It would be his chance to change what he thought was wrong with the original council.

He may not stick it out for too long. But I dont think he would refuse if asked.

Edited by ShadowPaladin V1.0

478327[/snapback]

On another KOTOR forum, me and another poster had this idea about bounty hunting. On most planets there would be either a bounty office or a "shady character" that would give out bounties. Some would be kills, others captures or even scavenger hunting. The good part was that each bounty's location would be random across the K3 galaxy/region so the player would need to actually investigate, look for clues, interrogate witnesses, etc. Some bounties could even be quest related, like starting the game as a bounty hunter and picking up the job to bring in Revan or something...

(w00t)

Why does that remind me of the GateKeeper hunt in X-2...

Although it's very unlikely they could be purely random. Having them appear in one of several locations should be easier enough.

478327[/snapback]

I agree that bounty hunting is an excellent idea...it is the quintessential filler sidequest. But I want REAL bounty hunting, not the contract killings of K1.

There should be bounties on every heavily-populated world you go to. And, if you pay to have a brig installed on your ship, you can do transworld bounty hunting as well :) .

Bounty hunting would require non-lethal resolutions to combat....something we need to see from Jedi anyway.

Edited by Plano Skywalker