How did KotOR fail?

krazy is confused. is only short time fans has been asking for robes... 'cause they had robes in bg and totsc and bg2. only nwn and sou does we not have robes. regardless, with krazy reasoning bio can't win. if they use suggestion then they is thieves and if they don't then they is ignoring fans. ridiculous.

*shrug*

krazy will twist however he wants.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Nope, the sandpeole attack without reason, and kill women and children themselves. Wiping them out is a good act, killing evil to protect good is good.

The ends don't justify the means. Well maybe a little but it's intended to be an evil act.

pointy hats grommy, p-o-i-n-t-y, get it?

I can count the times Bio listened to fans since BG1 on 1 finger and still pick my nose with whats left over.

Let's keep the T&A in FanTAsy

***Posting delayed, user on moderator review***

Why Bio Why?

it's intended to be an evil act.

Sure it's intended to be an evil act, because the people who wrote it are morons when it comes to that kind of stuff.

The sandpeople could seek a peaceful resolution, but what do they do? They ambush you in the desert without warning. E_V_I_L.

Why Bio Why?

I can count the times Bio listened to fans since BG1 on 1 finger and still pick my nose with whats left over.

"They don't listen to fans, fans been askin for pointy hats and robes for 5 years."

robes. r-o-b-e-s. get it? that is one right there... and guess which finger we is using.

we can count the number of suggestions that bioware has taken from Gromnir alone since bg1... and we needs more than five fingers to be counting 'em all.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Bio took a lot of suggestions. Just not an incredible amount. Besides, you can't collect a huge mass of fan suggestions and make a game out of that, especially since this particular crowd disagrees with each other a lot, and some opinions are downright stupid (which is why the owner of such opinions would never make good games. no, im not pointing at anyone, sheesh.) All that remains is that you want gamemakers to make a game that you want, and too bad if they dont.

ah but are they closed minded for their views... or are you closed minded for not respecting them? :unsure:

Interaction is give and take ;)

No, they are a stupid idiot culture that in over 5000 years does not evolved at all.

I could understant the original thinking after the disater but with millenia of retaining the same culture its just a evolution dead end.

drakron.png

"They don't listen to fans, fans been askin for pointy hats and robes for 5 years."

robes. r-o-b-e-s. get it? that is one right there... and guess which finger we is using.

we can count the number of suggestions that bioware has taken from Gromnir alone since bg1... and we needs more than five fingers to be counting 'em all.

HA! Good Fun!

LOL, robes inclusion was not because the fans requested it, it was because the fans already had them, just like the camera hack, the single most requested feature by fans (other than a game which didn't suck). They only put one in after someone else did it, that isn't listening to fans, thats just not likeing being shown up by better developers of your own game.

Bio has never really listened to the fans. Get over yourself and show me the rust monster in BG2.

Why Bio Why?

The Sand People brought their destruction upon themselves. Always being so protective. I helped their tribe out and when I took it upon myself to obtain "just compensation" for my deeds by looting their wicker baskets the entire tribe goes hostile! What choice do I have? I want their loot and they don't want to give it to me even though I have a lightsaber. Slaughtering every single sandman, woman, and child in that tribe was perfectly justifyable to me. Mabe the next tribe won't be so damn protective of their wicker baskets when I come in to loot the place!

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb!

prostytutka

Nay, the old Jedi were O.K. ... no pricks like in Ep II ...

Huh? Bastila is just young darth vader with boobies.

I mean the comics, something that BioWare ignored.

So much crap about "oh relations" in the game and Nomi Star"whatever" was married with no other that a jedi ...

:rolleyes:

drakron.png

"robes inclusion was not because the fans requested it,"

actually, that was precisely the reason. there is literally thousands of things that individual fans have done with nwn that have not made it into a commercial product... robes was requested daily... as was epic levels and prestige classes.

btw, Gromnir also asked for slaad and intelligent/crazy swords, and killer mimics, more sympathetic villains, morally ambiguous quests and a bunch o' other things.

HA! Good Fun!

There were a thousand other things put in and not requested, you needs to go study correlation and causality.

robes are a fantasy staple, monsters are limited so some would show up whether requested or not, intellegent swords are a staple, etc...

You make 1000 suggestions, Bio does a couple, you don't see it as coincidence even though it is, methinks the rustmonster got to your brain!

Why Bio Why?

Do you expect any more than ten of one thousand fan (by that the normal population)'s suggestions to make it into a game? You shouldn't, because fans make a lot of conflicting and/or stupid suggestions. Not to mention differing from game design/theme or improbable in development scheme.

Seeing as all games start with a design document that more or less maps out everything to be put into a game... I can imagine quite a bit of inflexibility in adding things suggested by the "fans".

Anything they accept and add should be considered golden by said fans.

My biggest problems with KOTOR (PC version) were as follows:

(1) The game looked and played like a console port. Mini-games, no free-look, small levels, no drag and drop inventory etc Obviously as a PC gamer I had to accept a dumbed-down version of the game because it also had to work on the limitations of an X-Box. Great.

(2) Annoying NPCs. Ever since Jahira in the original BG Bio. has a habit of producing some extremely annoying NPCs (albeit some half-decent ones as well). First run through I played a female protagonist and Carth's whining just put me off...he had no chance of getting into my space undies, let me tell you. I just wish they would leave romances out of it - it doesn't do anything for me to know I've "got my pixels on" with some annoying character in a computer game - just leave it out ok? It always seems forced and contrived.

(3) Combat pretty much sucked. Most were ridiculously easy and when I did encounter the rare battle that was difficult and wanted to retreat it was nearly impossible, seeing as there was no convenient way to select all PCs and move them in one direction.

(4) Jedi were ultra-powerful. In the end game I think I had Jolee and HK47 with me and wished I'd left HK at home, because another Jedi would have been much more useful. I should be able to succeed with any party selection, IMHO - but the NPCs/combat just wasn't properly balanced.

Don't get me wrong -it was a very good game, but there were some problems as well.

Do you expect any more than ten of one thousand fan (by that the normal population)'s suggestions to make it into a game? You shouldn't, because fans make a lot of conflicting and/or stupid suggestions. Not to mention differing from game design/theme or improbable in development scheme.

exactly. krazy seems to now be suggesting that 'cause all the suggestions ain't used in games that bio is ignoring the fans... which is just as silly as his "thief" or "uncaring" silliness spouted earlier.

HA! Good Fun!

I think KotOR's first major problem was that it was a console game, and no I dont mean that it came out for the X-box first. Basically many of Bioware's game have far more in common, in implementation, with the Final Fantasy games than say . . . Fallout. The problem is tha Bioware hasn't yet realized this and so attempts to put Fallout, DnD, or other PC options in their games, which leads to an odd combination when they can't do either extreme very well. Some other problems:

The mini games were bad in implementation: Pazaac would have been decent if it weren't for the fact that there was no randomness in who went first. The Towers of Hanoi puzzle had the worst interface possible. And the turrents occured far too often.

Cutscenes and FMV were used a little too often and in the wrong places and times. It could be just that my resolution had to be changed when those FMV's played but they constantly took far longer to load than they should have given they were worthless filler material. Most actual console games have had more experience and so know when to use cut scenes to the best effect, Bioware kind of stumbled into it years late and didn't learn from past mistakes.

Probably not BW's fault but the feats were often redundent.

I could probably think of some more, but I'm pressed for time :) .