Diablo 3 rumours.

kirottu

Then I guess many of those old gold box games you claimed to have played (and championed as being the good old days of RPG gaming) aren't RPGs either.

They were CRPGs for their day and age, but their day has long since past. The genre has evolved in case you didn't noticed. If a gold box styled game tried to come out today it wouldn't be a CRPG by today's standard.

CGW: Some have said that Diablo wasn't a true RPG. What do you say to those critics?

Brevik: The whole debate about whether Diablo is a true RPG or not took us a little by surprise. When we set out to make Diablo, we weren't thinking in terms of redefining or changing the genre. We are all huge fans of both paper-and-pencil and computer RPGs, so obviously those experiences influenced our design. But we didn't have a checklist of traits the game should or should not have, to meet an arbitrary definition of what an RPG should be. In the end, people can categorize it however they want, because as long as gamers think it's fun, that's all that matters to us.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Then I guess many of those old gold box games you claimed to have played (and championed as being the good old days of RPG gaming) aren't RPGs either.

They were CRPGs for their day and age, but their day has long since past. The genre has evolved in case you didn't noticed. If a gold box styled game tried to come out today it wouldn't be a CRPG by today's standard.

Sure they would be. Imho, technical limitations were the only things keeping the developers from adding as much depth and detail as they may have wanted. That said, games like Curse of the Azure Bonds and Champions of Krynn had fairly detailed stories, from what I remember. Plus they were based on AD&D rules -- can't get much more RPG than that. The first game that really started to get away from that was Hillsfar, and that was a truly awful game. I'd say the old goldbox games would be alot like the IWD series.

I took this job because I thought you were just a legend. Just a story. A story to scare little kids. But you're the real deal. The demon who dares to challenge God.

So what the hell do you want? Don't seem to me like you're out to make this stinkin' world a better place. Why you gotta kill all my men? Why you gotta kill me?

Nothing personal. It's just revenge.

Diablo is not 100% RPG, but it is still a good game on its own. Comparing BG to Diablo is comparing apples to oranges. Some posters tend to suffer from unhealthy elitism.

Both are great games but very different from one another. Apples to oranges like you said.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

I get too attached to characters :) I could never play it hardcore :huh:

Why? You'll live if your character is built up pretty good.

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG

Diablo is one of the best games I've played right next to the BG series. One of the first games I ever played for the pc so it holds a little bit of nostalgia with me. Even though I dislike rumors I would welcome a third game in the series.

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG

*blah blah blah*  TROLL *blah blah blah*

*yadda yadda yadda*  If you don't agree with me, you're a stupidhead!!

Oh, spare us the attitude already. Just because people have different opinions from yours doesn't mean they're "dumb" or that yours is right. I could just as easily say KB's dumb because he likes cricket and croquet. But I don't, because people like different things, that doesn't make it right or wrong. Your whole "I'm right, if you don't agree you're dumb" attitude is utterly retarded and just makes you look like an idiot in the process. :)

I would say that the only person who would fit the description of retarded and idiotic is the one who takes arguments and rewrites them into:

So he wont actually have to debate, but can safely sit back and call us names.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Sure they would be. Imho, technical limitations were the only things keeping the developers from adding as much depth and detail as they may have wanted. That said, games like Curse of the Azure Bonds and Champions of Krynn had fairly detailed stories, from what I remember. Plus they were based on AD&D rules -- can't get much more RPG than that. The first game that really started to get away from that was Hillsfar, and that was a truly awful game. I'd say the old goldbox games would be alot like the IWD series.

It's not whether it's based on AD&D rules or whatever that decides whether it's an RPG. What decides is whether there is Role-Playing in it. That means that there must be genuine choice. A game that has a completely fixed plot and progress is not an RPG. This is true for the Diablo games - the plot is fixed and there is only one way to progress through it until the predetermined end.

Not so for the old gold box games. The plots were fairly fixed, yes, but it was usually divided into submissions, which you could then take in any order and even skip some completely. I still remember fondly how I chose between the various missions in the townhall of Phlan in "Pool of Radiance" (the original!) - I may have played them all because I wanted to explore every corner of the game, but I didn't have to - it was my choice to play them all. You can't do that in Diablo - there is a fixed progression of events that you must follow whether you like it or not. I may have enjoyed Diablo at times, but I never mistook it for an RPG.

KotOR games are more RPGs, because you have choice in many situations - will you buy the wraid shell off the poor woman who lost her husband

I get too attached to characters ;) I could never play it hardcore :-

Why? You'll live if your character is built up pretty good.

Ummm, no. :-

In hell difficulty you need really(and I mean REALLY) good stuff, which can be only found in hell difficulty. And even then you need good reflexes to quickly exit the game if the situation calls for it. There are situations that are just too risky for any kind of build with even the best of stuff.

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Basically a game must ask the player, "what will you do?" and then let the answer mean something. If it doesn't, then how can you call it an RPG?

For some character generation is more important and in this Diablos are top notch.

So why don't you like Diablo Hades?

Its a boring POS of a game.

All you do is spam the mouse button and fight endless hordes of enemies without thought or care, then get uber items that are way too freaking powerful so you can just spam the mouse button to kill more hordes of enemies.

There is no dialog. No character development role playing wise. There is no strategy to the game's combat. It is completely and totally unfun for me. The only hack and slash type game I like is the Icewind Dale series. Those two games are proper hack and slash CRPGs.

All you do is spam the mouse button and fight endless hordes of enemies without thought or care, then get uber items that are way too freaking powerful so you can just spam the mouse button to kill more hordes of enemies.

Only character that can do that in later parts of the game is hammer paladin.

really? cause the ice sorcerress certainly looks like it's just a spam the button character :)

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I would say that the only person who would fit the description of retarded and idiotic is the one who takes arguments and rewrites them into:

So he wont actually have to debate, but can safely sit back and call us names.

When you pass judgement on people (i.e. calling them dumb), you are surprised when they get defensive?

really? cause the ice sorcerress certainly looks like it's just a spam the button character :lol:

At hell level all the monster are immune to some kind of elemental(fire, ice lighting), physical or poison damage. Paladin