Indigo Prophecy

Cantousent

You swine and your necrophilia scene.  Yes, it did give me the creeps, but it was a minor point.  Much more irritating to me was the design team's idiotic preoccupation with pushing their political agenda in an otherwise great video game.

I must've missed it. What agenda?

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Oh, I was talking about all the internet news releases. You know, the pointed political crap. I read all the articles and whatnot.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I read pretty much everything in these games. I'm also suspicious of everything. heh heh. I wasn't entirely serious about the political stuff. It was more a response to the necrophilia banter.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

they did make a crack about violence in video games on lucas's computer (I think)

I wasn't bothered so much by the necro than the RESULT of the necro scene.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

It's not that bad. It fits into the story, even if it is on the weird side of creepy.

Obsidian Plays

It's not that bad.  It fits into the story, even if it is on the weird side of creepy.

*pauses, for reflection, in headlong rush to buy the game* :geek:

Moral equivalence from Eldar regarding necrophilia? :ermm: I'm confused. Surely there should be rivers of blood and wives turning to pillars of salt? :geek:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Dammit, I can't explain. I'm not going to spoil the game, but I will give two very light spoilers

One:

The emphasis was always on the characters involved and is not "necrophilia" in the truest sense of the word. If a vampire had sex with a live woman, it would technically be necrophilia, but that doesn't mean that one of the characters has a fixation on dead flesh. We have plenty of examples of vampires or ghosts having sex in literature or movies. What's different about Indigo Prophecy.

Two:

I was weirded out, just a tad, by the scene in question. Moreover, I had some questions regarding how the mechanics of such an arrangement might work.

Still, I think it's just as weird that some folks fixate on one particular scene. Like the example I cited in point one, there are plenty of example of so-called "necrophilia" in modern tv, movies, and literature, but no-one uses the term for them.

Obsidian Plays

Llyranor, you're a doofus. A clever doofus with good game ideas, but a doofus nonetheless. At any rate, I suggest folks play the game and get back to us concerning this necrophilia issue. I'd like to hear other opinions regarding the game. Let us know if you decide to purchase it, meta.

Obsidian Plays

Questions to people who've played the game:

This game allows you to play different characters with different and even conflicting goals, right? Does this create interesting moral dilemmas for the player?

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Probably contains spoilers, but not so much if you've read the rest of this thread.

OK, it's not exactly necrophilia. Since we don't have sentient animated corpses in the real world, there's no word for having sex with them. Whatever Lucas is by this stage, he's able to give consent and clearly closer to alive than dead, so I guess 'necrophilia' doesn't really serve. Suggestions for a new word, anyone?

Why does the sex scene feel weird? Here are some thoughts. Vampires and werewolves are officially sexy, and have been established as such by mythology, literature and Buffy. I think we're used to accepting them as sexual beings. On the other hand, I don't know exactly what Lucas is at this point, and without this background to draw upon, I'm not so comfortable with it.

It occurred to me when I watched this scene that Lucas' body was stone cold, and it occurred when reading this thread that I had watched several vampire sex scenes on movies and TV without having thought about this before. Is it just me? Or do directors take a great deal of care that the viewer should not have this fact about vampires foremost in their minds when a sex scene is taking place?

Had the whole 'Lucas is dead now' element been dropped, and these been two regular human beings, the scene would still have jarred with me, as would Carla's declaration of love. I just didn't believe that these two characters were in the right place emotionally for it.

I agree that this scene is a minor one, and it doesn't detract from the whole game which was overall very good. I think it's getting more attention than it deserves for all the obvious reasons (Sex with Dead People!!!), but also because it's indicative of a wider decline in the quality of storytelling in the latter stages of the game.

Questions to people who've played the game:

This game allows you to play different characters with different and even conflicting goals, right? Does this create interesting moral dilemmas for the player?

Barely a spoiler, but some people may not want to know anything at all:

I would say no, not really.

Edited by SteveThaiBinh

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)