next-gen console action RPG by Liquid Ent.

funcroc

Why of course.

Kotor characters being forced stormed make a nice twitching response as well.

How many times do I have to tell you? :p

Deus Ex + Firedance = teh win!

Deus Ex, I will have to find that game.

:):o:o:o:o:o:o

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Why of course.

Kotor characters being forced stormed make a nice twitching response as well.

How many times do I have to tell you? ;)

Deus Ex + Firedance = teh win!

Deus Ex, I will have to find that game.

I got it for free with my GameStar magazine :wacko:

IB1OsQq.png

Of course not. But they proved that "real" RPGs could sell with the right combination of marketing, advertisement, production values, and brand names.

Something which not all development houses have at all times.

The problem is that there is no guarantee that those mainstream titles will be a commercial success, either.

A title which is developed with the mainstream in mind is likely to succeed more from a financial standpoint than a title that doesn't. Fallout, the Icewind Dale series and Planescape: Torment may have been good games yet their gameplay was not geared towards the mainstream crowd. Look at the result - acceptable financial success but not enough to keep Interplay alive. Look at Arcanum, Temple of Elemental Evil and Vampire: Bloodlines: at least the first two (but especially the second) were not for the average gamer. Admitedly, there were some pretty piss poor management behind both companies but the profit these games made was in part influenced from not being as mainstream-friendly as, say, Bioware's titles.

I want console gamers to appreciate good occidental RPGs and the only way to do that is to give them good occidental RPGs. By giving them action RPGs first you are setting the tone for the market that, those are the type of games your company is known for.

Not necessarily. There's several companies out there that started out with one type of game and decided to explore other gaming genres along the way. If we were talking of a company that would only develop action RPGs then that would be likely, but this isn't the case nor was what was suggested. In fact, the suggested attitude was to develop action RPGs parallel to computer roleplaying games, with the first type of game being viable as a financing for the second type.

By sending them this message, by the time they get around to playing your first profound "IP" game (later down the road), you may end up confounding  much of your established fan base expecting another hack and slash title.

Then it's apparent it's a title not necessarily aimed at that segment of the fanbase, but possibly to some other part of it, or a whole new fanbase.

:(

Sucks. Must have a file that gets corrupted whenever you install it.

Of course, now that I think about it, that was on my old comp.. I haven't tried on the new comp (which I upgraded to XP)... maybe it was something in 98 it didn't like.

I played it on both Win98 and than upgraded to XP, without incident.

That doesn't help me >_<

:p

:)

That doesn't help me :wacko:

:p

:)

What error does it give you?

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Not necessarily. There's several companies out there that started out with one type of game and decided to explore other gaming genres along the way. If we were talking of a company that would only develop action RPGs then that would be likely, but this isn't the case nor was what was suggested. In fact, the suggested attitude was to develop action RPGs parallel to computer roleplaying games, with the first type of game being viable as a financing for the second type.

You are suggesting Obsidian, Bioware or whomever to create only action RPGs on consoles which would give them the established funds required for their less mainstream projects (i.e original IPs, or "real" RPGs)on the PC?

I have no problem companies delving into the creation of different types of RPGs at once (including action ones), but the point is that later down the line I want to see a whole slew of quality PC-style RPGS on consoles as well... In addition, to those on the PC.

"Real" RPGS shouldn't just exist on PC. With console hardware limitations becoming less and less of an issue (i.e. Morrowind, KotOR), I don't see why console aficionados couldn't eventually be treated to the more profound RPGs that PC gamers have for so long enjoyed.

In all honesty, I want PC-style RPGs to compete on some level with the overabundance of JRPGs on the market. It would be wonderful to see Obsidian or Bioware knock Square-Enix out of supremacy and for JRPGS to become the "niche" market.. But then, I'd just be dreaming. ;)

Edited by Lancer

image002.gifLancer

"Real" RPGS shouldn't just exist on PC. With console hardware limitations becoming less and less of an issue (i.e. Morrowind, KotOR), I don't see why console aficionados couldn't eventually be treated to the more profound RPGs that PC gamers have for so long enjoyed.

exactly! and that is where the KOTORs really shined...they were "real RPGs" designed with console as their native turf.

I don't know that Jade Empire was a retreat (even though it had real-time combat) because it remained stat-based, had a sidekick (AI-controlled henchman), and had good dialogue.

what I don't want is the lone hero, as in Balder's Gate: Dark Alliance...no, I want henchmen or party members (or both, actually).

party members with full VO and branching dialogue trees.

KotOR 1 and 2 do not feel like PC CRPGs. They feel like ported over CRPGs. That feel comes from the interface as Nartwak stated. Now if we could have controlled the NPCs BG style, have a total party of 4 instead of three, and a freer camera like in NWN then it would feel more like a PC game.

KotOR 1 and 2 do not feel like PC CRPGs.  They feel like ported over CRPGs.  That feel comes from the interface as Nartwak stated.  Now if we could have controlled the NPCs BG style, have a total party of 4 instead of three, and a freer camera like in NWN then it would feel more like a PC game.

And this is *exactly* the sort of issues that need tweaking as we (hopefully) strive to make RPGs on consoles more and more like those on the PC.

I want to see more than just Dark Alliance clones on console. I want real RPGs too.

image002.gifLancer