next-gen console action RPG by Liquid Ent.

funcroc

Yay....an action RPG.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

Maybe it's not an action RPG. Maybe they're just calling it an action RPG to increase sales. PNJ is being called an action RPG, but I'm hoping that Obsidian is incapable of creating what I would call an action RPG.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Maybe it's not an action RPG.  Maybe they're just calling it an action RPG to increase sales.  PNJ is being called an action RPG, but I'm hoping that Obsidian is incapable of creating what I would call an action RPG.

I'm hoping that Obsidian are capable of creating action RPGs that sell well in the hopes the profit will enable them to develop unique and less mainstream CRPGs.

Maybe it's not an action RPG.  Maybe they're just calling it an action RPG to increase sales.  PNJ is being called an action RPG, but I'm hoping that Obsidian is incapable of creating what I would call an action RPG.

Hey.. Some of the people at Obsidian were responsible for the I-broke-wind Dale series during the BIS days.. I would think they would be very capable of creating another action RPG.

Edited by Lancer

image002.gifLancer

I'm hoping that Obsidian are capable of creating action RPGs that sell well in the hopes the profit will enable them to develop unique and less mainstream CRPGs.

If their action RPGs sell well that will only spur them to make even more action RPGs.

image002.gifLancer

I'm hoping they'll try to recapture the mainstream for quality gaming. I guess we'll find out in a year or two. :)

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I'm tired of the hack and slash games that are only called RPGs just because they utilize D&D rules. I want an RPG with an intricate storyline, good character interaction, dialogue, and lots of customizability.

image002.gifLancer

If their action RPGs sell well that will only spur them to make even more action RPGs.

Being motivated to do more action RPGs doesn't mean the financial success they provide will only motivate them to develop action RPGs.

How about financial success from creating "real" RPGs of the quality of KotOR, Baldur's Gate, or Fallout?

In the case of the first two, they both sold really well without having to be action RPGs.

If the goal is to create profound RPGS that are less mainstream then why make more mainstream action RPGs to achieve this? It seems to be counterproductive to the intended motive. It is not like the market isn't already saturated with them.

Edited by Lancer

image002.gifLancer

Being motivated to do more action RPGs doesn't mean the financial success they provide will only motivate them to develop action RPGs.

Or even that future Action RPGs will necessarily be as successful.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

a couple of things:

* as long as it is stat-based (i.e. Jade Empire) combat, then I can live with real time.

* just because the combat is real time does not mean the overall feel of the game has to be twitchy.

I have been playing Jedi Outcast and I really don't mind the real time combat. What I mind is having to reload the game 20 times because I can't jump over a conveyor belt at exactly the right second...that kind of crap really ticks me off.

As long as Obsidian lives by their self-imposed rule of not frustrating the gamer with needless crap like that, then I am quite open to real time combat.

Jade Empire got it about right.

How about financial success from creating "real" RPGs of the quality of KotOR, Baldur's Gate, or Fallout?

In the case of the first two, they both sold really well without having to be action RPGs.

They didn't necessarily sold well because they were "real" RPGs. There's several factors to account for their success, such as advertisement, production values, and associated brand names.

If the goal is to create profound RPGS that are less mainstream then why make more mainstream action RPGs to achieve this? It seems to be counterproductive to the intended motive.

Because creating unique intellectual properties and developing them requires time, resources and adequate financing. By producing commercially successful titles - regardless of them being action RPGs or not, but action RPGs was the provided example - they can generate enough revenue with which to finance risky endeavours such as going with an in house IP which is less mainstream. "More profound" RPGs aren't as commercially successful as more mainstream RPGs, and trying to develop them without any considerable monetary backup can be damning. Trying to establish reasonable funding from titles which may be commercial success is better than trying to establish reasonable funding from titles which may be commercial failures.

It is not like the market isn't already saturated with them.

There's always a couple of genres or subgenres which are saturating the market but still turn more profit then what we believe.