Obsidian's Feargus Urquhart at RPG Codex forum

funcroc

http://www.rpgcodex.com/phpBB/viewtopic.ph...r=asc&start=100

I like to think of myself more as uncountable than unaccountable.

But more seriously, as I know you all know, until a project is announced I can't say whether we are working on it or not without getting a lot of heat.

What I can say is that we are working on NWN2 and the other announced title, plus we are signing another project in the next couple of weeks. We are also finally getting out own technology off the ground, so that we have more freedom when it comes to the types of games we can create. To be honest, I'm not sure how hardcore of a RPG (other than NWN2) we can make soon. I'm sure that sounds like I'm a big **** when it comes to what games we work on, but I want to stay in business as well. My goal for the short term make-up of Obsidian is to have three teams with two focusing on consoles as the lead SKUs and the other a PC focused SKU.

I wish it wasn't so disappointing to look at the sales of PC stuff right now. Actually it's super disappointing. I'm hoping that Vista and the stuff that Microsoft puts behind "My Games" is going to help.

Feargus Urquhart

CEO

Obsidian Entertainment, Inc.

I guess that puts thisthis quote into perspective.

"I think I may have commented in another thread that the tough thing is that it is hard to get a publisher to invest in a more traditional CRPG. For us to make one, we would most likely have to do it with our own money. It is something we kick around quite a bit, since after NWN2 we will have at least a part of an engine.

Chris Avellone and I were talking at lunch on Friday about how we could do it. One of thing the thinks we are kicking around is trying to do a certain amount of design and pre-production while we are working on other projects." -Feargus

I actually wouldn't "mind" if they develop console rpgs so long as they don't abandon the pc market. The KotORs and JE were quite fun. Mass Effect looks promising. I won't worry too much over the quality of PNJ and I'd be very curious to see how K3 would look with a brand new Obsidian designed engine. Assuming it's going to be K3.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

My mistake, their calling it a CTP, not a Beta. Rhymes with CTD, which can't be good... Anyways you have to subscribe to MDSN (whatever that is) and I even have a linkey! (like a slinky, only it doesn't do stairs)

Edited by Darth Somethingorother

Blue lorry yellow lorry blue lorry yellow lorry blorry. D'oh.

Though I think it should be 1 Console only, 1 PC/Console cross paltform, and 1 PC only.

I agree, but it seems like I have to start saving money for console(and TV). :)

What does SKU stand for?

In that context I would say it

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

...so that we have more freedom when it comes to the types of games we can create.

This is a little disturbing. I may read too much into it, but it sounds like Obsidian wants to branch out into other genres than just RPG. I know Josh, for example, is an avid fan of games like God of War and Ninja Gaiden Black..

Own technology + Console only + freedom to the type of game they can create = ?

Are we going to see action games coming from Obsidian in the future?

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I would rather they make games they want to make than RPGEEZ like Diablo.

If they like the game they're working on, we get better games. Even if they make an action game, it is likely to have RPG elements. If they have to do that in order to make more RPGs later, fine with me.

I wouldn't mind playing an action game from Obsidian. It's just that for every good RPG that comes out, there are 99 cloned action titles drowning it. I would rather see Obsidian (whom I trust to make interesting and somewhat 'deep' RPG's) spend their time and resources on the genre I love the most, which coincidentally is the genre that gets the least love from the market.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!