Combine Sports and RPG's

Hurlshort

I saw some talk about how sports games don't fit the RPG mold, but I beg to differ.

Sports games have been slowly adding RPG elements for years. You have a ton of stats that represent ability, you develop careers, and you seek out new people for your team. EA has even added a function that alloows you to create one player and focus on their career from college all the way to the pros. You change your image, do TV and Movie spots, and try to recieve rewards. You are filling the role of a football player.

An argument may be made that, when playing an actual game, you control the whole team. But in Baldurs Gate I controlled an entire party during combat, even though I technically only RP as the main character.

So why can't it be called an RPG? Is it not fantasy enough? Is it lacking story? I've had more interesting stories during a season of football than some of the action RPG's out there.

So what do y'all think? These games do seem to be moving closer to RPG's, although the recent Playmakers game didn't fare too well. I look forward to more character development for my football squad.

So what do y'all think?  These games do seem to be moving closer to RPG's, although the recent Playmakers game didn't fare too well.  I look forward to more character development for my football squad.

In essence they have added a lot of role-playing elements, however, most people are rigid about the rpg genre in that they believe an rpg must have DnD-type algebraic algorithms for the fighting (or in this case, game-playing).

the sports games do have stats and whatnot, but that doesn't placate the hard-core rpg fan-base's perceptions of what an rpg is.

lots of games can be argued to be "role-playing", but they aren't all called rpg's, even though you do "play the role" of a certain character or person. So in the end it comes down to teh numbers :thumbsup:

So why can't it be called an RPG? Is it not fantasy enough? Is it lacking story? I've had more interesting stories during a season of football than some of the action RPG's out there.

I believe people simply don't want to call them RPGs.

Some so-called "RPGs" have less depth, story and actual roleplaying then some of these new wave sports games.

Some so-called "RPGs" have less depth, story and actual roleplaying then some of these new wave sports games.

And offer many more hours of gameplay.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

I saw some talk about how sports games don't fit the RPG mold, but I beg to differ.

Sports games have been slowly adding RPG elements for years.  You have a ton of stats that represent ability, you develop careers, and you seek out new people for your team.  EA has even added a function that alloows you to create one player and focus on their career from college all the way to the pros.  You change your image, do TV and Movie spots, and try to recieve rewards.  You are filling the role of a football player.

An argument may be made that, when playing an actual game, you control the whole team.  But in Baldurs Gate I controlled an entire party during combat, even though I technically only RP as the main character.

So why can't it be called an RPG?  Is it not fantasy enough?  Is it lacking story?  I've had more interesting stories during a season of football than some of the action RPG's out there. 

So what do y'all think?  These games do seem to be moving closer to RPG's, although the recent Playmakers game didn't fare too well.  I look forward to more character development for my football squad.

RPGs usually involve your main character in a long adventure, fighting mythical creatures, hunting for treasure, solving quests and puzzles with a main goal of saving the imaginary world. RPGs must also allow the player to build and take care of a main character throughout the adventures, dialogs with NPCs, shops, skills, abilities. All RPGs have all of those basic elements in one way or another and then some.

Most RPGs are also high fantasy, because of D&D universe that has become so influencial. many gamers won't even play a RPG unless it's based on D&D rules.

I think it,s not enough for a game that has RPG elements to be called a RPG. A RPG must have ALL the elements to attain this status.

Personnaly, if you can play a role and build a character, you are role-playing, you are playing a RPG. D&D or not.

but I could be wrong, I've been playing video games, mostly RPGs, for only 23 years. :thumbsup:

I've logged quite a few more hours into a franchise football team than many RPG's. That's just a matter of interest level, but a full season will take you at least 20 hours to finish if you don't sim through games, and you can play up to 30 seasons.

So why can't it be called an RPG?

It can be called an RPG. It can even have its hair tied in bunches, and be called Rita if you want. But those elements aren't exclusively RPG elements, and as such shouldn't be considered as defining of the genre, or taken into a different context then what's presented (in this case, those elements are applied in the context of a management game, not a roleplaying game).

Sports games definitely fill my role playing needs. Have for a long time since there has not been a good RPG in years, years. Not only can you be a player but an owner, manager, general manager.

Sports games do take fast reflexes, but you also use a hell of a lot more brain power than any other game I have played. The AI is just so more sophisticated than it used to be. You do have to have a strong game plan you get your ass handed to you.

I've logged quite a few more hours into a franchise football team than many RPG's. That's just a matter of interest level, but a full season will take you at least 20 hours to finish if you don't sim through games, and you can play up to 30 seasons.

I'm sorry, I meant that sports games can offer many more hours of gameplay.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

If done right, it could be an interesting concept.  Thus far I haven't seen it done right, though.

You need to learn the word, NO. Just say no in some cases, such as this.

Why the hell not?

If a FPS (though, not a very good one) like Deus EX can be an RPG, then sure, why can't a sports game be an RPG.

The way some sports games are setup today, were you can actually build up characters. Just add in some sort of storyline, character interactions and a set a team members. It would be something really cool.

If done right, it could be an interesting concept.  Thus far I haven't seen it done right, though.

I just have a more open mind than you do, apparently. ;)"

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I just have a more open mind than you do, apparently. ;)"

My mind is open, thank you. Some things you don't mix like bleach and ammonia, oil and water, sports (LOL) with RPGs.

RPGs usually involve your main character in a long adventure, fighting mythical creatures, hunting for treasure, solving quests and puzzles with a main goal of saving the imaginary world.

So do adventure games, and platformers.

RPGs must also allow the player to build and take care of a main character throughout the adventures, dialogs with NPCs, shops, skills, abilities. All RPGs

have all of those basic elements in one way or another and then some.

This is what an RPG is. Not fighting fantastic creatures, or leveling up. RPGs are about character progression in terms of personality. RPGs need more ambience and mood than action or adventure. Having action and adventure definetely help, but this idea that "RPGs need high adventure" came in when Gygax started pumping out his drivel.

Most RPGs are also high fantasy, because of D&D universe that has become so influencial. many gamers won't even play a RPG unless it's based on D&D rules.

Setting has no bearing on whether a game is an RPG. Unless you're saying that Prince of Persia or Legend of Zelda are RPGS and Fallout isn't (LOLZ!).

I think it,s not enough for a game that has RPG elements to be called a RPG. A RPG must have ALL the elements to attain this status.

Personnaly, if you can play a role and build a character, you are role-playing, you are playing a RPG. D&D or not.

but I could be wrong, I've been playing video games, mostly RPGs,  for only 23 years. ;)

So you made this post, with specific details about what an RPG is, then say that half of it doesn't matter, yet it needs all these things?

h8 u.