RTS Fans: Medieval 2 Total War Announced

Guard Dog

Hmmmm......

If you're going to reload after mistakes, then I think that makes your previous claims less impressive.  I don't think you can rightly say you've only lost one battle if that is the case.

Yeah I know. I hadn't actually lost a battle though because of that mistake... :)"

I only reloaded because I was so near the beginning. If I had been farther in I wouldn't have done so. I had three armies reinforcing my main stack which came under attack. Each army had a general in it. Each army was AI controlled. Each general decided to charge the enemy phalanx head on. :wub:

Hmmmm......

If you're going to reload after mistakes, then I think that makes your previous claims less impressive.  I don't think you can rightly say you've only lost one battle if that is the case.

Yeah I know. I hadn't actually lost a battle though because of that mistake... :)"

I only reloaded because I was so near the beginning. If I had been farther in I wouldn't have done so. I had three armies reinforcing my main stack which came under attack. Each army had a general in it. Each army was AI controlled. Each general decided to charge the enemy phalanx head on. :(

I believe there is an AI tweak mod that prevents player AI cavalry from attempting headlong charges into phalanx units. You notice the AI opponent never does that so your AI controlled reserve should not either. But I also agree with alanschu, reloading after a critical mistake defeats the pupose of your experiment here. You are the battle general, if you err, your men die. Lee did not get to reload after he ordered Pickett to charge the center of the Union line at Gettysburg, and watched a 15,000 man division get cut to pieces.

Edited by Guard Dog

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Hmmmm......

I only reloaded because I was so near the beginning. If I had been farther in I wouldn't have done so. I had three armies reinforcing my main stack which came under attack. Each army had a general in it. Each army was AI controlled. Each general decided to charge the enemy phalanx head on. :(

I believe there is an AI tweak mod that prevents player AI cavalry from attempting headlong charges into phalanx units. You notice the AI opponent never does that so your AI controlled reserve should not either. But I also agree with alanschu, reloading after a critical mistake defeats the pupose of your experiment here. You are the battle general, if you err, your men die. Lee did not get to reload after he ordered Pickett to charge the center of the Union line at Gettysburg, and watched a 15,000 man division get cut to pieces.

Hmm...that would have been interesting, REALLY interesting :cool:

IB1OsQq.png

(w00t) New screenshots on the M:TW 2 website. Oh baby this game has bumped NWN 2 right out of my #1 most anticipated game spot. December cannot get here fast enough. Check out my OP for the link!

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Hmmmm......

I only reloaded because I was so near the beginning. If I had been farther in I wouldn't have done so. I had three armies reinforcing my main stack which came under attack. Each army had a general in it. Each army was AI controlled. Each general decided to charge the enemy phalanx head on. :wub:

Would it make you two happy if I sacrificed the ressurected generals to Nike? Maybe she would be willing to transfer their experience to other troops... ;)"

Check out the next to last screenshot. The armor is reflecting the battle map background!

Thomas Sowell

It uses the R:TW engine, with probably a few graphic improvements. If you can play Rome I'd bet you can run Med 2. I'm already putting money aside for some upgrades. With Oblivion, NWN2, and Med 2 it sounds like at the least a new video card is coming.

Thomas Sowell

It uses the R:TW engine, with probably a few graphic improvements. If you can play Rome I'd bet you can run Med 2. I'm already putting money aside for some upgrades. With Oblivion, NWN2, and Med 2 it sounds like at the least a new video card is coming.

My computer can handle RTW with huge unit sizes with most of the settings turned off. It's still nearing the end of it's life though at 3.5 years old. It was already low-midrange when I bought it. <_<

Can't wait for the game anyway. Was there a projected release date given? I don't recall seeing anything about it. :p

My computer can handle RTW with huge unit sizes with most of the settings turned off. It's still nearing the end of it's life though at 3.5 years old. It was already low-midrange when I bought it. <_<

Can't wait for the game anyway. Was there a projected release date given? I don't recall seeing anything about it. :p

4th Quarter this year. I'd bet on early December, late November. There was a big discussion on the TW boards as to what the next title would be. Most people wanted a M:TW remake. The other two that sounded good were Napolean:Total War and 1914:Total War. I hope they at least consider the other two ideas. Especialy 1914:TW.

Thomas Sowell

Umm...could we separate Deraldin't R:TW-antics and Medieval 2-anticipation? Maybe make another thread for R:TW and put all posts concerning it there.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Umm...could we separate Deraldin't R:TW-antics and Medieval 2-anticipation? Maybe make another thread for R:TW and put all posts concerning it there.

After a near miss of a thread lock, we are aleady there.

Thomas Sowell

• 5 months later...

http://www.totalwar.com/?lang=us

Trailer is out now! This game looks better every time I see it. Also at Total War box set with all titles and some other goodies will be released at months end.

Thomas Sowell

*worships Creative Assembly*

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It's strategy, and the battles are real time. I'd say the battle part of the game is more of an RTS game than your garden variety RTSes.

Edit: Does Medieval 2 use HDR? The trailer gave me that impression.

Edited by Pidesco

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I think it does. And RTW has alwys been an RTS for me.

I suggest we don't start a semantics discussion, we had that in every other RTS thread except C&C 3. No thanks.

kirottu said: