RTS Fans: Medieval 2 Total War Announced

Guard Dog

Be honest....did you exploit save/load if fights didn't go as expected or anything?

I'll admit I sometimes am suspect of that >_<

No. Never needed to. When I'm attacking it's usually against a city and with vanilla RTW I generally had my city buster army of a 4 Praetorian Cavalry, 4 (Heavy) Onagers and a couple Legionaires. Onagers break through the walls and the Cavalry swarms through and makes a beeline for the city centre where they take out anything there.

If I get attacked, I deploy my troops as far as possible from the enemy depending on the terrain. If there is hill closer to the enemy then I'll take that. Usually my armies are composed of 1 General (5 Star minimum before I use them in combat.), 8-10 legions (the kind depend on what the best I have is.), 4 archers, 5 Cavalry (3 on one side with the other 2 opposite side with the general and an optional 2 seige equipment if I only have 8 Legions.

This would really tear through just about everything I faced. Made mincemeat out of the barbarian tribes to the north and took just about everything that the Carthaginians could throw at them except a charge by a number of group elephants. Against the greeks it would make them pincusions (substitute in a couple extra archers in place of a couple legions) and then flank them with the cavalry.

Granted I never took on any of the eastern factions like Egypt or the Seleucids. If I'm going to take over part of a continent I'm going to take the whole thing so I got the most experience playing against the Barbarians to the north and the Greeks to the East.

****, I need to play RTW. Right now.

Curse you school work, curse you!

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Cleary good sir, you are better than me at this game :D

And I thought I was pretty good!

High praise indeed. ;)" Currently bouncing off the wall in anticipation of all the games I want to buy that are coming in Feburary, right at the beginning of a new semester before the coursework starts piling up. :D

High praise indeed. :)" Currently bouncing off the wall in anticipation of all the games I want to buy that are coming in Feburary, right at the beginning of a new semester before the coursework starts piling up. :D

When I was in college it was Lords of the Realm 2 and Heroes of Might and Magic 2 that kept me from doing what I should have been. Had it not been for those two games, a few "C" might have been "A". Bauldurs Gate nearly caused me to fail Circut Analysis 2. It's an addiction isn't it?

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

High praise indeed. :devil:" Currently bouncing off the wall in anticipation of all the games I want to buy that are coming in Feburary, right at the beginning of a new semester before the coursework starts piling up. :D

When I was in college it was Lords of the Realm 2 and Heroes of Might and Magic 2 that kept me from doing what I should have been. Had it not been for those two games, a few "C" might have been "A". Bauldurs Gate nearly caused me to fail Circut Analysis 2. It's an addiction isn't it?

I know the feeling. Luckily for me when Lords of the Realm 2 was out I was still in Elementary school and could get A's while sleeping through classes. :D It's so much more difficult to do that in high school. :)

High praise indeed. :devil:" Currently bouncing off the wall in anticipation of all the games I want to buy that are coming in Feburary, right at the beginning of a new semester before the coursework starts piling up. :D

I know the feeling. Luckily for me when Lords of the Realm 2 was out I was still in Elementary school and could get A's while sleeping through classes. :D It's so much more difficult to do that in high school. :)

Wow, now I DO feel old.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

simple rule using the greeks... always always ALWAYS make the opponent come to you... Whenever I play a defensive map with them I just cram my army of hoplites into a corner and let the other guy tire himself out (them most annoying thing I've ever fought was a rebel group of archers... can't do this because they will just kill a bunch of guys and take until the end of the map timer to get rid of the arrows)

always play the greeks with the fact that they are primairly a giant steam roller. Not much can break a phalanx by charging head on. So generally if your attacking keep the flanks covered by some cavalry (the greeks have horrible cavalry tho... so pretty much consider them a delaying unit until a phalanx can come and kill what they are fighting) and maybe keep some archers/slingers behind your primary line.

Fastest way to make the enemy rout is to simply pick a unit and hit it with one unit from the front while the other makes it's way around the back and plays smash the toy.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

simple rule using the greeks... always always ALWAYS make the opponent come to you... Whenever I play a defensive map with them I just cram my army of hoplites into a corner and let the other guy tire himself out (them most annoying thing I've ever fought was a rebel group of archers... can't do this because they will just kill a bunch of guys and take until the end of the map timer to get rid of the arrows)

always play the greeks with the fact that they are primairly a giant steam roller. Not much can break a phalanx by charging head on. So generally if your attacking keep the flanks covered by some cavalry (the greeks have horrible cavalry tho... so pretty much consider them a delaying unit until a phalanx can come and kill what they are fighting) and maybe keep some archers/slingers behind your primary line.

Fastest way to make the enemy rout is to simply pick a unit and hit it with one unit from the front while the other makes it's way around the back and plays smash the toy.

When advancing a group phalanx I keep the formation staggared so an advancing unit can wheel around an engaged unit for a flanking attack. Also if one formation is flanked by cavalry they cannot keep charging into the next... and next... and next... lost Nicomedia to the Eqyptians that way. Plus I always keep peltasts behind the formation, even when they are out of javelins. If they do nothing else they can delay a rear attack while one or two phalanxed units reverses their direction of march.

The worst part about playing the Greeks is not having an economy to fight Rome and Macedonia at once. The closest I ever came to winning I sold Syracuse to the Carthaginians and Theremon to the Macedonians in the first round. Used the armies there to capture Crete and Athens and built a power base in the Agean. The Romans attacked Theramon and the war consumed Macedon but I wound up in a all out war with Pontus for the cities in Asia minor and although I won, I left me too weak to fight the advancing Egyptians.

Still have not been able to win playing the Greeks.

Thomas Sowell

When advancing a group phalanx I keep the formation staggared so an advancing unit can wheel around an engaged unit for a flanking attack. Also if one formation is flanked by cavalry they cannot  keep charging into the  next... and next... and next... lost Nicomedia to the Eqyptians that way. Plus I always keep peltasts behind the formation, even when they are out of javelins. If they do nothing else they can delay a rear attack while one or two phalanxed units reverses their direction of march.

The worst part about playing the Greeks is not having an economy to fight Rome and Macedonia at once. The closest I ever came to winning I sold Syracuse to the Carthaginians and Theremon to the Macedonians in the first round. Used the armies there to capture Crete and Athens and built a power base in the Agean. The Romans attacked Theramon and the war consumed Macedon but I wound up in a all out war with Pontus for the cities in Asia minor and although I won, I left me too weak to fight the advancing Egyptians.

Still have not been able to win playing the Greeks.

I don't know why people complain about not being able to finance a war against both the Romans and the Macedonians. I managed to hold all of my territories against attacks from three sides. Managed to completely destroy the Macedonians then pushed up into Thrace.

The Brutii never got a foothold in greece except for one turn because they snuck around my army into the city I had left unguarded in order to kill a 7 star general that was on then run. The Scipii were kept busy with the Carthaginians mainly, but did manage a moderately sized attack on Syracuse once or twice. The key to keeping it for me was just to station three units of hoplites by the doors and create the box of death. If they would break through the gatehouse but would be stuck within 3 phalanx formations.

The Seleucids left me alone for the most part until I took over all the costal cities on the asia minor side of the Agean. I think they were busy with the Parthians and the Egyptions who I think were both at war with them.

The hardest fight I had against any of my opponents was one fight against a Brutii army that attacked me. It had a lot of archers that would have totally decimated my phalanxes if my cavalry hadn't been able to sneak around his Hastatii who were busy throwing themselves against my "wall o' death".

Just curious, but who was the hardest nation to play as for all of you? :blink:

You have my reply Deraldin. Usually in the second turn I get a determined attack on Theramon by the Brutii that even after I ward off, it leaves the city vunerable to a second attack or the predetations of Macedon. I've played the Greeks several times and usually have lost Theramon by the end of the 5th turn. I play with campaign difficulty set to "Very Hard" and battle to "Hard". This lets the AI play to max capacity but confers no combat morale bonus to AI troops.

Playing as Thrace is supposed a pretty tough time also. But I did win the one time I tried. I made alliances with Macedon and won an all out war with Dacia and Scythia (war bands and cavalry against Phalanx, you gotta love it). By the time the Julii came sniffing I was more than ready.

Numidia is a tough campaign because your units do not match up well with your natual enemy Carthage. I won with them by making common cause with the Scipii (historicly speaking Scipii Africanus defeated Hannibal with Numidian allies).

To add too your question which factions did you find too easy? I'd say the Julii. If you cannot cruise right up to the civil war with them I don't know what to tell you. Your natural enemies are barbarians and they usually break against Triarii and Early Cohorts.

Edited by Guard Dog

Thomas Sowell

You have my reply Deraldin. Usually in the second turn I get a determined attack on Theramon by the Brutii that even after I ward off, it leaves the city vunerable to a second attack or the predetations of Macedon. I've played the Greeks several times and usually have lost Theramon by the end of the 5th turn. I play with campaign difficulty set to "Very Hard" and battle to "Hard". This lets the AI play to max capacity but confers no combat morale bonus to AI troops.

Playing as Thrace is supposed a pretty tough time also. But I did win the one time I tried. I made alliances with Macedon and won an all out war with Dacia and Scythia (war bands and cavalry against Phalanx, you gotta love it).  By the time the Julii came sniffing I was more than ready.

Numidia is a tough campaign because your units do not match up well with your natual enemy Carthage. I won with them by making common cause with the Scipii (historicly speaking Scipii Africanus defeated Hannibal with Numidian allies).

To add too your question which factions did you find too easy? I'd say the Julii. If you cannot cruise right up to the civil war with them I don't know what to tell you. Your natural enemies are barbarians and they usually break against Triarii and Early Cohorts.

Too easy? I thought both the Brutii and the Julii were pretty easy. Like you said, the barabarians that the Julii have to face charge towards you, get a face full of pile and then turn tail and run.. As the Brutii it's a little difficult to the start but once you get going with them they have some much money after taking over just a few Greek cities that they can coast through to the endgame by going to the north to attack the barbarians or take a harder route by going to the east and having to fight the eastern nations like Egypt and Parthia. Parthia is a real pain because of those horse archers, but other than that not much can stand against them. Haven't played as the Scipii as I really didn't have any interest in playing as them. That and I hate blue. Romans aren't blue. Romans are red damnit! :blink:

Did you play with any mods or did you play with a clean install? I know there are a number of mods that really increase the difficulty. The SPQR mod was the only one that I ever used. Played a game as the Julii with it and it was much harder. You were totally outnumbered for most of the game around 5:1 by barbarians with much improved morale that would actually stay around and fight! :-"

I used to play with the R:TR mod. At the time it was buggy and caused problems. I understand it is much improved these days. Once I learned how to unlock and play all of the factions I reinstalled and play without mods. I'm playing BI now and I think there are compatability issues with the RTW mods.

Thomas Sowell

I used to play with the R:TR mod. At the time it was buggy and caused problems. I understand it is much improved these days. Once I learned how to unlock and play all of the factions I reinstalled and play without mods. I'm playing BI now and I think there are compatability issues with the RTW mods.

How is BI? I've been meaning to pick it up, but I've been really busy lately with exam prep and just haven't had the time to really get into many games.

How is BI? I've been meaning to pick it up, but I've been really busy lately with exam prep and just haven't had the time to really get into many games.

I'm really into it. Religon plays a bigger role. A lot of the tactics that worked against the Gauls and Germainia do not work against the Goths and Huns. The Western Empire camaign is tough and there are morale problems with the units. It feels like you are trying to save a dying civilization. One thing is certain, you will not have to go looking for a fight if you are playing the West, it will come to you.

If you have $30 US to blow, you will not regret getting it.

Thomas Sowell

I'm really into it. Religon plays a bigger role. A lot of the tactics that worked against the Gauls and Germainia do not work against the Goths and Huns. The Western Empire camaign is tough and there are morale problems with the units. It feels like you are trying to save a dying civilization. One thing is certain, you will not have to go looking for a fight if you are playing the West, it will come to you.

If you have $30 US to blow, you will not regret getting it.

Sounds good to me. I've been in the mood for a good strategy game for a while now. I'll probably pick this up to hold me over till next month when a slew of games will be coming out. :blink:

the hardest faction for me was the Egyptians... I'd always pick a fight to the east after a while I'd be pretty good on the east but the west would be attacked by the carthiginians so I'd be fighting a two front war... usually the only thing that saved me was the fact I'm paranoid and keep a half possible garrison at all my towns (makes it really easy to field a full army real fast).

The other hard faction was the britons or one of the other barbarian groups because I can't figure out how to use them to break apart the roman and other more organized formations. I'm one of the most defensive and conservative commanders you'll ever meet which is why I'm so good with the greeks.

One of my favorite tactics with the romans is to keep slowly extending and keeping great garrisons. then sue for peace get it and build up four field armies with what I've got stuck on garrison duty. then promptly play genghis khan with his four hounds.

Edited by Calax

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Well, actually i hate RTSs But i don't hate Total War series. So, they are not RTS. :lol:

Seriously, Total War games are much more about strategy, not clicking faster. And, Map screen is totally turn based. So when i play one of those games, i never feel like i am playing RTS.

If something has a 'turn' button, than its not RTS, its so simple :D

IB1OsQq.png

Once you get the hang of it, you'll love it (and hate it!  sucks when YOUR guys freak out! :D)

I've only had my guys routed once and that was because I had a 2000 man stack that had to contend with 4 others of the sames size. I could have won if I had unlimited ammo for my archers/onagers who ran out during the third wave. The 4th group was allowed to approach my battered Legionaires without coming through a hail of arrows. <_<

I played egypt, and I was attacked when i had to reinforce my army, so my one unit (10 or so of man) of egyptan horse-bowman (chariot or whats the name) meets 6 units of spearman and one merc.horse archers(greek), what to do, I just runned, they runned too, but we had more horses =P

So, after 1-5 min they were exhousted, in the 'runnin time' i had shot down the half of the enemy merc-s and with only 3rd of my man having any arrows at all I had them retreat (they lost forever the merc.-s and 2 spearman units)

The funny was how i had routed the first unit what had the enemy fleein started:

With no arrows i just had the egyptans turn back and runned trough with them into the enemy, they got the fear, and fleed. Now think about luck&strategy :D

IB1OsQq.png

Once you get the hang of it, you'll love it (and hate it!  sucks when YOUR guys freak out! :D)

I've only had my guys routed once and that was because I had a 2000 man stack that had to contend with 4 others of the sames size. I could have won if I had unlimited ammo for my archers/onagers who ran out during the third wave. The 4th group was allowed to approach my battered Legionaires without coming through a hail of arrows. <_<

I played egypt, and I was attacked when i had to reinforce my army, so my one unit (10 or so of man) of egyptan horse-bowman (chariot or whats the name) meets 6 units of spearman and one merc.horse archers(greek), what to do, I just runned, they runned too, but we had more horses =P

So, after 1-5 min they were exhousted, in the 'runnin time' i had shot down the half of the enemy merc-s and with only 3rd of my man having any arrows at all I had them retreat (they lost forever the merc.-s and 2 spearman units)

The funny was how i had routed the first unit what had the enemy fleein started:

With no arrows i just had the egyptans turn back and runned trough with them into the enemy, they got the fear, and fleed. Now think about luck&strategy :D

Who was that against? Selucids? The Eqyptians have really good military power. I played as the Selucids and defeated them by avoiding the major engagements you just desribed. I broke my armies into smaller 300-400 man groups and scattered them in a territory to block roads and harbors. When larger armies challenged I used heavy Caraphact Cavalry to deal with their archers and phalanx to deal with their chariots. The idea was to wear them out and damage them as much as possible. I'd position on the best ground closest to the edge of the map. Try to break the attack, then retreat. It was a war of attrition and it took years (game terms) but I did win.

Thomas Sowell