Costume for Wedding Anniversary

Cantousent

I have to say that tarna is clearly the coolest guy on earth. He is not only a great guy, a discrete mod, and classy, but he makes it all look easy.

I'm going the cheesy route because I can't see spending more on the costume than I did for the mead.

When I got to looking, however, I noticed so many cool things that I'd like to have. I've never bought a renaissance costume, but you can get actual armor, weapons, and attire fit to order. Good Lord. That's too much money for me to spend. The whole affair is only going to cost some $1,000 altogether. I'm simply not going to spend more on my costume than I do on my guests. I could easily spend $2,000 on a costume and that would still cut a few corners. For some folks that's spare change, but I can't see dropping that kind of cash. Yes, I am cheap.

I'm going with this cheesy number:

If that falls through, I guess I'll actually drop the cash for this one instead:

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

3rd vote for the 2nd choice. It looks elegant and nobleish like. The first one makes me think of Robin Hood in purple. :D

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I think you should stick with your first choice Eldar.  There is no real excuse for a grown man to wear a poofy shirt.

Thats the theme though, everyone will be dressed weird.In the context of the weird and it being his anniversary he should at least look smart and rich as opposed to a common serf.

Oh man, Kor, that had me rolling. "There is no real excuse for a grown man to wear a poofy shirt." hahahahahaha :Eldar's guffawing icon:

I'm ording one tonight, and the pictures will be forthcoming. However, I'd like to say that I'm quite glad I asked here. Majority opinion swayed my final decision, that much I will say.

Oh, and I couldn't do it for under $100. The costume will be $135 and the boots will cost me more. How much, I can't yet say.

Edited by Eldar

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Thats the theme though, everyone will be dressed weird.In the context of the weird and it being his anniversary he should at least look smart and rich as opposed to a common serf.

Well Eldar would have had to have worn tights in the first outfit. Instead he'll be prancy like a ponce with his poofy sleeves. Which also indicate he might be a pirate in some circles... ;)

Edited by Kor Qel Droma

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

Well Eldar would have had to have worn tights in the first outfit. Instead he'll be prancy like a ponce with his poofy sleeves. Which also indicate he might be a pirate in some circles... ;)

I think I can speak for the male population on this board when I say that we are gratefull that he won't be wearing tights! As I remember, Eldar promised us pics of the event. I for one, am not looking forward to pics of anatomically inappropriate images of Eldar in tights! Add in a codpiece where nature let him down and that's just something to make me wish I were blind!

Ruminations...

When a man has no Future, the Present passes too quickly to be assimilated and only the static Past has value.

Hey, who told you about my padded codpiece?

...And the boots were $40. You know, that might not seem like a lot to you guys, but I tend to deliberate before purchasing most computer games and they're only $50, not $175. The good thing is, the costume is tailored to order by a local merchant in Riverside. I can use it for the renaissance fair, which I have not missed in several years and to which I have not yet worn a costume. Mostly, the fair has been an excuse to get drunk, but now it will be an excuse to don a costume and then get drunk. See, it wasn't a total waste of money after all.

If I throw in the rapier for $250, the total cost for the costume items will then exceed the cost of the alcohol for the party. That's a damn shame. I'd have to go out and buy more alcohol.

Edited by Eldar

Obsidian Plays

I think I can speak for the male population on this board when I say that we are gratefull that he won't be wearing tights! As I remember, Eldar promised us pics of the event. I for one, am not looking forward to pics of anatomically inappropriate images of Eldar in tights! Add in a codpiece where nature let him down and that's just something to make me wish I were blind!

Tights?? :) Please don't post any pictures of that. Nothing personal.

2010spaceships.jpg

Hades was the life of the party. RIP You'll be missed.

Okay, I hate resurrecting my old thread, but how important is it to have a hat? I found one for $85, but that's almost as much as the vest and pants put together. You guys have given good direction so far, just a little bit more and it will all be done.

Obsidian Plays

"Does thou lover's belly grow plump and swollen and greasey from feasting on the roasted goat's meat? Perhaps tis the time to jaunt off to yonder '82 Honda civic and venture back to thy manor for a stiff rodgering."

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Thanks, Laozi. That made me laugh and I'm not even sure why. Let me see if I can find a picture.

Okay, here's the rapier. This is what I'd buy, if it weren't ridiculously expensive at $266:

Here is a cavalier hat:

Obsidian Plays

I like the hat, it's simple yet kinda rakish. As long as the color goes well with the rest of the outfit, I think it'd look good. If you're concerned about the $$ tho, I'm not sure it's really worth an extra $85 to add it - unless, of course, you think you'd get a decent amount of use from it.

You might be able to find a similar style hat in a store for a lot cheaper and then add a few feathers/ribbon to it from a craft/fabric etc. store.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Thanks, Laozi.  That made me laugh and I'm not even sure why.  Let me see if I can find a picture.

Okay, here's the rapier.  This is what I'd buy, if it weren't ridiculously expensive at $266:

Nice, but I'd recommending borrowing Tarna's katana if he's okay with it. Btw it's a good thing you went with the 2nd outfit. ;)

Spreading beauty with my katana.

I couldn't see having him mail the stuff to me. I'm a dandy nobleman. Why the hell would I wear the arsenal it turns out Tarna has stashed around his house. Instead, I invited him to wear the weapons to the party. hahahaha If he does, there will be pictures.

Still, you have to admit, that rapier looks pretty damned cool. Buy it for me, Atreides? :Eldar's laughing and winking icon:

Obsidian Plays

Nice, but I'd recommending borrowing Tarna's katana if he's okay with it.  Btw it's a good thing you went with the 2nd outfit.  :thumbsup:

I don't think Tarna would turn over a warrior's soul just like that.

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, speaking of dead threads, I'm almost done. I've received my costume. I have the option of wearing it with or without sleeves. So, the question is, what do you guys think. Just a few days more and this will be over. Of course, then I'll be showing pictures of the festivities. ...And I promise not to resurrect that thread when is falls off the radar.

Anyhow, wich one?

or

Obsidian Plays