A computers GHZ

Elven6

clock speed isn't as important as how many operations per clock tick.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I think CPU speed is irrelevant until the surrounding architecture catches up :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

What is your computer now?

If you can get it cheap enough for your liking, I think a 3ghz will still last a little while, unless you're a equipment freak.

And I think what Gorth means is that your video card, system RAM, etc. are a little more important to gaming performance than a bit of CPU ghz.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

If you're worried about future proofing your computer, try going with one of the Athlon X2 processors by AMD. Most people believe multi core processors are the way of the future, and AMD is without a doubt the best buy for a gamer.

Edit: I came up with a word of my own!

Edited by mkreku

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

There is only one CPU and that is those made from Intel. Anything else is inferior.

Fanboism is the mark of the wise. Or not.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

AMD currently holds the best processors for the buck. AMD has been beating Intel for well over a year now easy. Intels Chipsets are great, but then again, Nvidia makes some great ones also for AMD.

Toms Hardware CPU Benchmark Charts

Edited by WITHTEETH

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

Intel is the only thing we buy. Money is no object. Harhar.

More seriously...hubby prefers Intel for more practical reasons than 'this one beats that one' thing. I don't remember his reasons tho...I never do. In one ear out the other...

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

AMD CPUs are not low quality, neither is Intel. I look at the statistics, not the name when its comes time to buy a product. :wub: Right now the pendulum is with AMD, that all.

It would be really intresting to see ATI and NVidia jump into the CPU band wagon competing against eachother. I think this is very probable.

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

AMD CPUs are not low quality, neither is Intel.

Yeah, neither is really 'inferior' to the other at this point, all depends on what model and what purpose blah blah blah.

I think one of hubby's 'practical' reasons was about support/possible conflicts between hardware or something, just cause Intel's been around longer. I'd have to ask him...but he looks at things from a non-gamer's perspective.

As of today, nothing beats AMD in gaming*. However, as others have noted, your processor is really quite irrelevant as compared to your graphics card. A $150 Athlon64 3200+ paired with a $450 7800GTX will blow the socks off a $1100 Athlon64 FX60 equipped with a $350 7800GT. Intel processors at corresponding prices points will give a little lower performance, but not really noticeable especially at higher resolutions. As long as your processor and RAM are not *bottlenecking* your system, your gaming performance will pretty much scale proportionately to how much money you put into your graphics card.

Personally, I never cared for the concept of "future-proofing", unless you consider a 6-month timeframe as Future. It just doesn't exist in this business. Every time I have tried to do that, I ended up regreting it. It's best to buy the best-performing contemporary equipment you can within your budget, unless of course you are an "enthusiast", really have a lot of cash, and are willing to buy nothing but the bleeding edge stuff. This is especially true for CPU's -- anything above a 3200+ is a waste of money IMHO. The AMD FX-series and Intel Extreme Edition series are jokes.

* Edit: All this Intel-bashing (that I myself indulge in often) will end around mid-2006 with the introduction of Conroe.

Edited by angshuman