Shooting for 30 hours?

roshan

I'm impatient, I want it now!  :p

If they want slow level progression than they need to make the game longer and enjoyable. I don't want to finish the game at level 9, when theres a level cap of 30 or whatever.

I think there's a miss understanding here. RPGs are meant to be a roleplaying experience, not a level progression experience. If it's the latter you want, why not join any of the MMORPGs avaible?

Edited by Lyric Suite

I like getting new abilities. 

What else do you like?

:p As far as role-playing? I like getting new skills and stats as well, and having access to more powerful weapons and items. There are a lot of things about RPG's I like, but as far as leveling-up that's pretty much most of them. I guess I just like seeing my character develop along the way while gradually getting access to cooler things. :p I like character development of course, but I'm not sure if that has much to do with experience and levels...

Edited by Chupacabra

Hmmm... I recall my first game being one called "Haunted House" on my dad's old Radio Shack TRS-80... late 70's, I'd guess.  It was a text adventure :p

Heh...my parents never actually owned any of those old computers, so I missed out on those early text-based PC ones, tho I know the references from friends. But the parents did buy an Atari 2600 - Combat, Break-out etc. - for me electronic gaming was always a graphical thing.

Unlike many of the regulars on this forum, while I like a good story/characters, that's not my main focus - I'm really more into the...um...mechanical tinkering - item vs situation number crunching, how many different paths I can use to achieve the same end result, can I beat a scenario using only beetles and no dragons, can you mix blue potions with red potions. :D If a story/characters comes with the tinkering, all the better...but without the tinkering aspect it's boring to me. Probably one reason I don't like FPS that much - almost no tinkering at all. You'd think I'd like RTS strategy games more, but I don't...they're generally not open-ended enough to satisfy me, with their levels and structured "Defeat the guy across the water using your peasants" objectives.

All the cRPG's I've liked were largely because of the tinker value...hours spent seeing if I could beat M&M7 while never leveling up my characters (just the skill points from shrines and stuff) or figuring out the alchemy potion formulas without looking them up, that sort of thing. This might be because I remember when there wasn't a walkthrough on the internet/shelves practically before the game hit the stores...you were stuck trying to figure things out on your own for a few months, and if you couldn't, you couldn't progress. lol

What I'd really like to see is a combination of crpg/environment and sim-like strategy flexibility, but I've reached the conclusion that the computer gaming industry has hit an environment/flexibility plateau that it cannot yet cross over, maybe because the tech isn't quite there yet, or something.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I remember Pong...I just never actually played it. My parents restricted my access to a lot of things. I wasn't even allowed to watch Popeye and all my friends had the cool toys when I didn't. <_<

Even the Atari was bought because it was originally thought it might help my father maintain his hand co-ordination for longer.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I remember Pong...I just never actually played it. My parents restricted my access to a lot of things. I wasn't even allowed to watch Popeye and all my friends had the cool toys when I didn't.  <_>

Even the Atari was bought because it was originally thought it might help my father maintain his hand co-ordination for longer.

What's wrong with Popeye? :p

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

What's wrong with Popeye? ;)

They deemed it too gratuitously violent for my tender self, up to about the age of 13. o:)

When walking is available that is my default speed.  I mean, I walked everywhere in Bloodlines, unless I was in a dangerous area.  Then I ran.  Ran so far away!

I highly doubt this. If this was the case, you wouldn't be griping about a 30 hour game, because it'd be much longer than that for you. I'd almost be willing to call you on this bluff, except that I know it'd be a boring game of NWN for me, plus I'm still working my way through Bloodlines to make some werewolf videos for you. Unfortunately there's not much I can do to prove otherwise, except that it puts your game completion times to question. I find it exceptionally difficult to believe you'd take 10 minutes to walk from the Empire Hotel to the Anarch bar. Your game time for NWN should also have also exceeded 30 hours by a pleasant margin....unless you skipped half of the game. Of course, it is an easy thing to say.

Maybe you forgot to turn run back on in your Bloodlines game.

What's wrong with Popeye? ;)

They deemed it too gratuitously violent for my tender self, up to about the age of 13. o:)

When was this? If you don't mind telling us your age, that is.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I like the roleplaying and leveling up. You can have the best of both worlds.

Except modern RPGs aren't very good at rolepaying, wouldn't you say?

No worse than plenty of older RPGs.

What "roleplaying" options really existed in Baldur's Gate? You could "play" evil....if you didn't mind fighting hordes of guards. Certainly didn't see much difference between classes or even gender however.

My first game was Pong and Skeet. It wasn't a console like the Atari 2600 for this was before the Atari 2600. It was a baseline simple electinic thingie that hooked up to the VHF/UHF connectors.

Sounds like the Odyssey.

Edited by alanschu

No worse than plenty of older RPGs.

There's an abyss between 'plenty' and 'all'...

What "roleplaying" options really existed in Baldur's Gate?  You could "play" evil....if you didn't mind fighting hordes of guards.  Certainly didn't see much difference between classes or even gender however.

Please, don't throw that PR talk at me. 'Roleplaying options' it's as meaningless as they come.

What Baldur's Gate managed to do right is to convey that peculiar sense of adventure and immersion that has been the chief element behind the reason why many of us enjoyed reading fantasy novels when we were kids.

Baldur's Gate tackled on the imagination and allowed for an elegant level of escapism as you immersed yourself in the world and the role you choosed to play.

There was no PR buzz concepts to distract you from the experience. There was no 'world' to save, no 'uber items' to collect. The game played at your own pace, but without the emptyness of Morrowind.

This despise the number of serious flaws inherent in the experience. Alas, a pity Bioware lost their gift by the time Baldur's Gate 2 was released, but then again, i think the reason BG1 came out so well was the freshness of their approach. It was their first RPG after all.

Torment also achieved a similar goal, except it was much better at it, thus the reason many people are so attached to this game...

Edited by Lyric Suite

There's an abyss between 'plenty' and 'all'...

And it consists of a handful of games...Baldur's Gate not being one of them.

Please, don't throw that PR talk at me. 'Roleplaying options' it's as meaningless as they come.

I'll stop throwing "PR" talk at you when you stop saying stupid, untrue stuff.

What Baldur's Gate managed to do right is to convey that peculiar sense of adventure and immersion that has been the chief element behind the reason why many of us enjoyed reading fantasy novels when we were kids.

Baldur's Gate tackled on the imagination and allowed for an elegant level of escapism as you immersed yourself in the world and the role you choosed to play.

What's the difference between that and an adventure game? Or reading a book? And how could I immerse myself in the world in a role I chose to play? How exactly could you play through the game ANY different than I? There certainly a plethora of options for each quest point ;) Oh wait...there aren't.

There was no PR buzz concepts to distract you from the experience. There was no 'world' to save, no 'uber items' to collect. The game played at your own pace, but without the emptyness of Morrowind.

If you are using Baldur's Gate as a baseline for playing at your own pace, then literally every RPG is just as good. Pacing is moot in most RPGs, which let you (despite the fact that the hordes of bad guys are coming, or a meteor is coming, or whatever) wander aimlessly doing pointless little fun sidequests. You can play through KOTOR at your own pace as well.

This despise the number of serious flaws inherent in the experience, and alas, Bioware lost their gift by the time Baldur's Gate 2 was released, but then again, i think the reason BG1 came out so well was the freshness of their approach given that it was their first RPG.

Freshness of it's approach? A world with a linear plot, sidequests, and tons of monster killing? I guess you didn't play RPGs before Baldur's Gate. You could have at least mentioned a game like Ultima, which actually granted the player the opportunity to do stuff other than quest (like bake bread if you wanted to!).

Torment also achieved a similar goal, except it was much better at it, thus the reason many people are so attached to this game...

Torment achieved it because you were actually able to play through the game in a relatively distinct way. In Baldur's Gate you could not. (Unless you consider doing sidequest X before sidequest Y as a "distinct" difference....but that wouldn't differentiate between the game and other games at all).

Edited by alanschu