Which are the worst CRPGs of the last decade?

More games to be added or removed if wanted  

49 members have voted

1. 1. More games to be added or removed if wanted

• Pool of Radiance 2
    • Dungeon Siege
    • Ultima 9
    • The Elder Scrolls series
    • Divine Divinity
    • Dungeon Lords
    • Neverwinter Nights- The Original Campaign
    • Gothic 1 & 2
    • Lionheart
    • The Diablo Series

Of the ones I've played, which eliminates NWN, the Vampire game, PoR2, the Ultimas, DS, DD, the Gothics, the Diablos, and all the consolers but BGDA1, I'd give the prize to Might & Magic 9. Honorable mention to ToEE and Arcanum (interesting world, but the character creation system was soooo baaaad!!).

Hey, at least I admit how uninformed my opinion is. :)

More games to be added or removed if wanted

Sacred. :angry:

Oh well, if I can't have that... I would vote for Soulreaver purely on the basis of the colour scheme. Not on the list either? Of the ones I've played, Dungeon Siege, though I only played it for half an hour.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

The Might & Magic series arent CRPGs are they?

...and that other vampire game is not a CRPG, its an action game.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Arcanum is awesome! Take that back!

Okay. It probably isn't fair of me to list it, because it did attract and hold my interest, which is more than ToEE & M&M9 did. However, because it got me interested, it also generated a lot of frustration and anger at the ridiculousness of the character & experience systems. Thus, it gets punished somewhat for its promise because it stands out in my mind as a huge disappointment.

(Wow, admitting ignorance and changing my mind in response to a counter-argument, all in one thread. I'm breaking new internet ground here!)

Edited by Enoch

M&M is a CRPG. So is the 'other' Vampire game. Just not a very good one. heh.

"Wow, admitting ignorance and changing my mind in response to a counter-argument, all in one thread. I'm breaking new internet ground here!)"

That is impressive! WOWSERS!

Good stuff. :)

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

The Might & Magic series arent CRPGs are they?

Yes, they are....there's also the Heroes of Might and Magic RTS games, but those are different.

M&M6 was considered very good for it's day but it's gone steadily downhill since, culminating in 9.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

"NWN, just awful, and the worse part is, it got an accolades all alright, definitive proof the Gaming Press is in the pockets of publishers."

And, the copies sold, the support of the fans, and the list goes on.,

Only EUIX and his brave Knights can continue to fight the good fight against the Evil NWN Franchise tm. Sure, it's a losing battle, but entertaining nontheless.

BIO didn't have to pay people to like NWN. People just plain old fashion like it. Just look to Hades' multiple purchasing of a game he supposedly 'hates' yet rates 75%.

R00fles!

I already know your a total NWN fanboy.

I still stand by what I said and NWN is a piece of crap. I have never played such an awful game that received such high praise. The OC was mind numbingly bad, NWN only had two redeeming features, the implmentation of the DnD rules, and the fact you could make your own scenarios.

"For ourselves, we shall not trouble you with specious pretences- either of how we have a right to our empire because we overthrew the Mede, or are now attacking you because of wrong that you have done us- and make a long speech which would not be believed; and in return we hope that you, instead of thinking to influence us by saying that you did not join the Lacedaemonians, although their colonists, or that you have done us no wrong, will aim at what is feasible, holding in view the real sentiments of us both; since you know as well as we do that right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must."

What about that game called Lionheart? That got really bad reviews, was buggy, unplayable from a gameplay perspective...and it actually had some decent potential.

I don't think an action RPG that gives you mindless action deserves to be called the worst CRPG. It says right on the box what you are getting, so don't be shocked. BGDA, Gothic, Diablo 2, Sacred...all pretty honest about what you're getting.

What about that game called Lionheart?  That got really bad reviews, was buggy, unplayable from a gameplay perspective...and it actually had some decent potential.

I don't think an action RPG that gives you mindless action deserves to be called the worst CRPG.  It says right on the box what you are getting, so don't be shocked.  BGDA, Gothic, Diablo 2, Sacred...all pretty honest about what you're getting.

It was fun for a while. Let's say, for the first 3-4 hours. Meeting with LDV was a good experience.

centinexx.png

NWN has horrible rules implementation compared to ToEE.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Funny...I really liked Morrowind for a month or two, probably because at the time I was wow'd by the graphics and editor/mod capabilities. Plus stacking pillows was fun. But then I realized it wasn't actually all that immersive...So it's not on my worst list but I'd call it mediocore.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I stand by what I said as well. NWN was awesome. I disagree with you on its most redeemable feature though. It's most redeemable feature is seeing the same people bash it even know they are wrong and everyone knows it. btw, Criticism is different than bashing. In fact, as a 'total NWN Fanboy', I have criticized NWN A LOT, and I'm not exactly gungo ho about SOU. And, I'm such a 'total NWN fanboy' I rate the OC 75%. R00fles!

And, LH while not good is definitely not 'amongst the worst'. It certainly is no POR2 or MW or DS. That's for sure.

"NWN has horrible rules implementation compared to ToEE."

No.TOEE was *slightly* better.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.