Fellow Gamers

I was curious as to what every one considers to be an awsome MMORPG im positive WoW and EQ2 will be the pick of the crop but i think that there might be some really kick ass games out there that arent as mainstream, plus im soon to be investing in an alien ware gaming comp. and wouldnt mind trying out some top picks from other gamers....so just start spittin em out! :cool:

Final Fantasy XI.

Don't play it expecting it to be easy though.  It's a hard game, dependant on your ability to make in-game friends.  It's impossible to advance on your own.

yea ive herd some nice things about that game but is it a PC game? i thought it was PS2, or maybe im just slow?!?!? :huh:

Best MMORPG for me was still the first one

Neverwinter Nights on AOL (1989-1995).

Mostly because of community though and staff interaction.

Every couple days a staffer (called a NW) would run a booth or event of some kind which were ALOT of fun.

PvP was also different back then, only a really small minority got their kicks outta forcing other people into pvp, most folks approached it as a tactical challenge and a test of skill. Being max level and killing a low level was unheard of as it was no challenge. Today, kids think thats the ultimate experience.

The community was also really different then what you experience today online. Alot of that was probably because NWN was 2.95/hour to play so you didnt have the 12-20 kiddies crowding up the server as the price was outta their range. Most folks were 25+ and there to have fun WITH others rather then at the expence of others (as is so common today in MMORPGs).

When NWN eventually switched to monthly rates the quality of the game sank to all time lows and quickly died! It was a definate sigh of things to come (and they did come).

Really was a totally different experience and Im kinda sad that players today will never experience something as fun, exciting, and enjoyable as those times in modern day MMORPGs.

PS: WOW is the McDonalds of MMORPGs!

Terribly cheap quality, but hugely hugely popular!

Ratings of other MMORPGs Ive tried over the Years:

*disclaimer, these are all games I have played and MY opinion on them. MY opinion might not match yours so keep your panties on!*

Rated on a scale of 1 to 10!

The Realms: 7/10

Meridian 59: 4/10

UO: 5/10

EQ: 7/10

Ashrons Call: 3/10

Dark Age of Camalot: 8/10

Star Wars Galaxies: 3/10

Anarcy Online: 4/10

Eve Online: 5/10

WoW: 1/10

EQ2: 5/10

FFXI: 3/10

Twilight Lands: 2/10

Think im forgetting a couple now but there yas go off top of my head :huh:

LOL, in case yas havent noticed I been playing MMORPGs for over 15 years now!

Edited by Kalfear

Final Fantasy XI.

Don't play it expecting it to be easy though.  It's a hard game, dependant on your ability to make in-game friends.  It's impossible to advance on your own.

yea ive herd some nice things about that game but is it a PC game? i thought it was PS2, or maybe im just slow?!?!? :huh:

It's cross-platform... and the PS2 butchers the game in a way. Graphics get the job done, but the textures get really muddy at higher resolutions. Also, since its a straight port from the PS2 version... no AA/AF and it barely uses the GPU. Very CPU intensive.

Regardless though, great game.

Awsome fighting system. Actual team work is REQUIRED.

Music is awsome and heart warning at times (those story cutscenes were emotional at times).

The game is the most expansive I've ever seen. So many places to explore.

Great storyline. You will never find ANYONE wanting to skip the story sequences (like in GW).

It's challenging as hell too. The current expansion "Chains of Promathia" really requires a lot of dedication. I've gone 1/8 on some of them... your team has gotta be really in sync.

Edited by Haitoku

Best MMORPG for me was still the first one

Neverwinter Nights on AOL (1989-1995).

Mostly because of community though and staff interaction.

Every couple days a staffer (called a NW) would run a booth or event of some kind which were ALOT of fun.

PvP was also different back then, only a really small minority got their kicks outta forcing other people into pvp, most folks approached it as a tactical challenge and a test of skill. Being max level and killing a low level was unheard of as it was no challenge. Today, kids think thats the ultimate experience.

The community was also really different then what you experience today online. Alot of that was probably because NWN was 2.95/hour to play so you didnt have the 12-20 kiddies crowding up the server as the price was outta their range. Most folks were 25+ and there to have fun WITH others rather then at the expence of others (as is so common today in MMORPGs).

When NWN eventually switched to monthly rates the quality of the game sank to all time lows and quickly died! It was a definate sigh of things to come (and they did come).

Really was a totally different experience and Im kinda sad that players today will never experience something as fun, exciting, and enjoyable as those times in modern day MMORPGs.

PS: WOW is the McDonalds of MMORPGs!

Terribly cheap quality, but hugely hugely popular!

Ratings of other MMORPGs Ive tried over the Years:

*disclaimer, these are all games I have played and MY  opinion on them. MY opinion might not match yours so keep your panties on!*

Rated on a scale of 1 to 10!

The Realms: 7/10

Meridian 59: 4/10

UO: 5/10

EQ: 7/10

Ashrons Call: 3/10

Dark Age of Camalot:  8/10

Star Wars Galaxies: 3/10

Anarcy Online: 4/10

Eve Online: 5/10

WoW: 1/10

EQ2: 5/10

FFXI: 3/10

Twilight Lands: 2/10

Think im forgetting a couple now but there yas go off top of my head :huh:

LOL, in case yas havent noticed I been playing MMORPGs for over 15 years now!

I know what you mean about people there to play and others there that think they have to proove sumthing by being an ass, i see this espeacilly in WOW, but Never Winter Nights deffinatly sounds like it was alota fun and very enjoyable, i guess all we can hope for is that some one realizes that its about having a great expierence and creates an amazing game idea that blows us all away, but thanks for your comments and info much appreciated!

Final Fantasy XI.

It's cross-platform... and the PS2 butchers the game in a way. Graphics get the job done, but the textures get really muddy at higher resolutions. Also, since its a straight port from the PS2 version... no AA/AF and it barely uses the GPU. Very CPU intensive.

Music is awsome and heart warning at times (those story cutscenes were emotional at times).

Great storyline. You will never find ANYONE wanting to skip the story sequences (like in GW).

It's challenging as hell too. The current expansion "Chains of Promathia" really requires a lot of dedication. I've gone 1/8 on some of them... your team has gotta be really in sync.

is there a monthly fee for this game and if so how much? Also is there like a site i could go to to get basic facts about the game such as LvL caps Character creation etc.?

Final Fantasy XI.

is there a monthly fee for this game and if so how much? Also is there like a site i could go to to get basic facts about the game such as LvL caps Character creation etc.?

http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/index.shtml Official Website.

I really don't know any good sites for that type of information though.

Level Cap is currently 75. They will raise it, but in the future. Balance is a big issue for this game. The devs are really careful (monthly updates btw) with this. Which is why they are taking their time.

Characters creation is very simple... Like I said, PS2 really limits this.

http://ffo.warcry.com/ general information.

Also, I forgot to mention this game will be released on Xbox 360 sometime in the future.

The thing I didn't like about the NW MMO was that there was an insufficient amount of slots for the amount of players.

That only happened after they went to the monthly rate alan, before (when it was hourly) there was never a Queue at all.

As I said, the community went into the toilet after they went with monthly rate as it opened the doors to the under 25 year old crowd. That crowd brought with them PKing, D00dism, mass exploiting, ect and pretty much ruined community for all. NWN didnt last long after going flat monthly rate before AOL pulled the plug on game.

Almost immediately, NWs were to busy handling complaints, watching for exploiters and hackers to run ANY events at all, so game lost one of its biggest draws with in a month of going a flat monthly rate.

Was a real shame!

Course on flip side, never seeing a $1000.00/month + bill was a bonus! Those freaking hurt let me tell yas! LOL Actually knew folks that had $1600.00/month (american) bills from playing game! It added up so quickly it w as easy to let it get outta hand.

MMORPGs HAD to move to a flat monthly fee, that was obvious, just doing so opened the door for ALOT of lesser quality (personality wise) players. Those players now plauge all MMORPGs sadly.

I really think, any and all MMORPGs should remain $15.00-$20.00 / month flat fee but should have a minimum age limit of 25 on them! Not only to get rid of kids (which in all fairness doesnt mean EVERY kid is bad, or ever adult is good, just the majority in a generalized way of speaking) but also to ensure college and university students dont fall into the MMORPG addiction trap.

I know someone will flame me for this but I truely dont think the under 25 crowd are mentally mature enough for games that rely on mass interaction and have no true law system to police their conduct.

I have Guild Wars but haven't the time to play it yet.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

I know someone will flame me for this but I truely dont think the under 25 crowd are mentally mature enough for games that rely on mass interaction and have no true law system to police their conduct.

Well, whether you consider it a flame or not, I would never participate in a game that actively encouraged ageism.

One might be better served simply by banning on a first offence.

I don't currently play in MMORPGs, mainly for the same reasons you cite, but there are a couple that are coming out in the future that look both interesting and niche enough that I could play a session without seeing a single "lolzors".

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

I find th elevel of maturity has nothing to do with age. A lot of so called 'older people'e extremely immature. In fact, they're usually worse because they actually self delude themselves into believe they are mature when they aren't.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Wow no flames :huh: *Im shocked and appreciative!*

As I said, I knew saying it wouldnt be popular but I have the benefit of having seen it in action so know the difference it can make, really until you can say that first hand, its just seculation on your part.

What irony? Explain please? Not following your statement at all Im afraid. Anyone else have any idea what Con meant by that?

Also, as I said Vol, im speaking in a broad generic term. I also have seen mature kids and immature adults. But on a whole neither make up for the majority of their age groups.I know a 10 year old (guild members grand daughter) who is more mature then most of us and a smarter player (lol and better typer). But she in no way represents the majority of 10 year olds.

Conversly I knew a 30 year old in UO that, for what ever reason I STILL dont understand to this day, thought running a ingame guild was an indication of REAL LIFE power. Again though, he didnt represent the mass majority of his age group.

When you speak in generalizations there will always be exceptions to the statements, no matter what topic.

PS: Also, its not as if I ever expect it to happen. MMORPG companies are like any company and are looking at bottom line and revenues. Cutting out the 1 - 25 years old would cause to much lost revenue to ever actually be done in todays gaming market.

Over the years ive seen some pretty dispicable acts done by the teen age crowd in MMORPGs that I can cite as examples. Things that go far beyond the realm of even bad taste humor. As a Long time guild master of a LARGE popular MMORPG guild (the first guild made in MMORPGs) I can say, easily 90% of those people Ive had to toss from guild for conduct unbecoming a member have been age 25 or less. Thats a figure that applies to other guilds over the years as well that I have interacted with when speaking to there guildmasters as well.

Age and maturity are not SPECIFICALLY applicable togather, but when used as a generalization, they sure are!

Worse act I ever saw (not first hand ) happened in UO but was the real start to older vrs younger that I can remember carrying real passion regarding the point:

2, 16 year olds thought it would be great fun to trap a female player using a sandbag exploit (anyone that played early UO knows what Im refering to about sandbag exploit). After trapping this female player they proceeded to cyber rape her. Turns out their victim was a 12 year old who became so upset and flustered she didnt even think to just log out, and sat there not understanding what she had done crying in real life. Her father hearing this noise came into the room to see what these two kids were typing, logged the chat dialog and logged his tramatized child out of game.

When he reported them (and cancelled accounts) to Origin they were banned which rallied the teen age community to their defence about how being banned over "Cyber Raping" was outragious as no harm was done (in their veiw). But in all seriousness, the damage had been done so banning them was just lip service after the fact, nothing more, and a clear example why just banning after the fact doesnt solve the problem always.

This story was actually picked up by major news media back then as until then, players never tried such indecent and obviously wrong (and immature) acts of cyber violence in games.

How do I know it was teen agers sticking up for the two? Thats easy, Almost every poster ADMITTED real age in posts as it was the real start of older vrs younger players. The older more mature crowd understood how this action damaged gaming in general while the younger crowd thought it was fine and acceptable, in poor taste but grossly over reacted. They lacked the maturity and life experience to understand how wrong something like this truely was.

Every time I read WOW boards im reminded of that story as that mind set is so prevelent over there (but with out the outrage found a decade ago).

Im FAR FAR FAR from being a prude, but even I feel dirty when I read WOW boards and am semi ashamed to be a gamer because it means im defacto associated to such people (use that term loosely).

PS: Also, as I said, MMORPGs can be addictive (more so then a Multiplayer game or PC/console offline game). Its easy to loose yourself in them. It doesnt represent some weakness of the individual any more so then becoming addicted to drugs, alcohol, smoking, ect does. So by removing the ability to play until 25 takes away the temptation for those that should be focusing on school and studies and other such things.

An extream solution? Sure is.

Does every one under 25 get addicted? No Way.

But enough do, so to me (as ultimately MMORPGs are unimportant in grand scheme of things and not some important life changing value or right), removing the potential problem is a good thing over all.

Edited by Kalfear

See, now speaking as an 18 year old, I think that's absolutely despicable. There ought to be some sort of mechanism whereby such people can be not just banned but blacklisted from all MMORPGs. Unfortunately (in this case at least), anonymity on the internet is far too easy to do. Hell, if you did that to a child in real life (not rape her, but described the act in a graphic manner) it would be a crime, arguably it could be one here.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

I bet that the credit card companies will send you a credit card in your two year olds name if you asked for one... at least the ones that are sending them already

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Hades has a point.

And I play COH COV, as I've stated several times.

I'd like to meet that two year old :cat:

Someone apparently rented a video from Blockbuster once using a very fake sounding name, and my address and phone number, and then didn't return it. Now I have not only received calls from blockbuster asking for the return of the video, but also pre-approved credit card offers for this apparently fictitious person who has no paper trail (that I know of) other than a blockbuster card with unreturned vidoes on it.

If they'll offer credit cards to imaginary people who don't return their videos, they'll give a credit card to just about anybody.

I got a credit card when I was 14 or 15, but I was much more responsible with it than some of my friends who got credit cards when they were in college. I've gotten rid of it now, and just use a debit card instead, since I only used it for the convenience of not needing to carry a lot of cash, not because I wanted to borrow money.

-Kasoroth

Edited by Kasoroth