I could use a little support...

Rhomal

Well, the fanboys jumped down my case which is to be expected.  being the weekend the higher ups didn't make an appearance, but I am sure I would have been abnned again on the spot.  Bioware peeps can sure hold a grudge.

Your own fault for choosing those topics. That was pretty sad -- Judge_Hades, I take it? There had to be something better than beating dead horses. You've provoked a few of them, but I expected something a little more original.

EDIT: I went to look at the Mass Effect forum, and you did much better there. Nice touch with the overheating X-Box.

Edited by Althernai

Its not a dead horse til the game is released.

Ditto Althernai's comment.

That aside it is a dead horse. Not going to happen. Get over it and lets move on to something productive. You just seem to want to whine for the sake of whining.

My 2 coppers

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

"Oh, I made some posts in the Mass Effect forum as well, Volourn."

Didn't see those posts; but I'm sure when I do; it'll be basically the same as what you did in NWN2 Forums.

Doesn't relaly bother me; but you shouldn't be surprised when people jump all over you for silly stuff like that.

P.S. Just read your ME thread. A tad more reasonable than your NWN2 one and if you noticed the responses in return ar emore reasonable too. Still repetitive, and illogical considering how much you like NWN, KOTOR1+2, and espicially JE. :-

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"Well, the fanboys jumped down my case which is to be expected."

Eh. Many of the 'fanboys' that were stomping all over you were Obsidian fnaboys; not neccessarily BIO fanboys. Afterall, all you were doing was attacking Obsidian's work on NWN2 over some of the silliest stuff. Big whoop. No jumping, flying, or climbing. Oh the horror of it all!

It's pretty funny, because at the beginning of the last few D&D games I've worked on, I've told everyone that the first things people will ask are if you can:

* Fly

* Jump

* Climb

* Swim

* Ride a horse

Without fail, these things come up very quickly and are drummed on throughout the development cycle. The problem is that they are not easy to support and people usually don't want to address the difficulties their implementation presents.

Well, most people who bring those items up aren't game developers.  All they see is a 3D game trapped in a 2D environment.

True, but I was talking about both developers and endusers. Something like climbing is a pain to implement, but potentially very awesome if it is supported by design. On the other hand, if you tell endusers that they're going to get climbing but no new prestige classes, the Mystic Theurge fanclub will commit seppuku.

EDIT: Hi, Deller.

True, but I was talking about both developers and endusers.  Something like climbing is a pain to implement, but potentially very awesome if it is supported by design.  On the other hand, if you tell endusers that they're going to get climbing but no new prestige classes, the Mystic Theurge fanclub will commit seppuku.

People see a feature in one type of game then expect it in others without thinking about why it was possible in the first place.

Take riding. Riding was brilliant in Occarina, but you only had to allow for one character model. No multiple heights, wider models (trying to make them look right on a horse etc). Same sort of thing applies with something that sounds really simple, like drawing and sheathing weapons.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

It's pretty funny, because at the beginning of the last few D&D games I've worked on, I've told everyone that the first things people will ask are if you can:

* Fly

* Jump

* Climb

* Swim

* Ride a horse

Without fail, these things come up very quickly and are drummed on throughout the development cycle.  The problem is that they are not easy to support and people usually don't want to address the difficulties their implementation presents.

These difficulties you are talking about, are they related to the D&D rule system or technical problems from designing a game with a lot more features (and usually more free world, because the usual map constraints have to take the climbing/swimming into accounts)?

I remember in Gothic 2, you could actually climb your way off the world map if you found the right spot..

Edit: question without a mark.

Edited by mkreku

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I think this is the first time I read a thread just because I noticed a developer posted in it.

As far as folks bashing Obsidian at the Bioware fora... who cares? Hell, Rhomal, you gave me an unofficial warning there a couple of months ago for bashing Bioware. To be fair, however, I wasn't bashing Bioware. I was bashing the obnoxious NWN community.

So, folks bash each other. I would rather have the community here, but I suspect that Bioware won't let go of its share of the NWN license until you pry it from their cold, dead hands. Fine, let them have the forum over there. As long as they keep to their normal draconian measures, of which you are a practitioner, then folks won't get far bashing Obsidian once NWN2 hits the shelves.

Otherewise, I like the community well enough. Regardless of my rather harsh words, I don't even think you do such a bad job as a moderator there.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

What's so hilarious about Eldar's silly post is that Rhomal is not a big fan of BIO. R00fles!

As far as obnoxiousnes goes; ther'es enough of that to go around to all forums including this one.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

* Fly

* Jump

* Climb

* Swim

* Ride a horse

Without fail, these things come up very quickly and are drummed on throughout the development cycle.  The problem is that they are not easy to support and people usually don't want to address the difficulties their implementation presents.

These difficulties you are talking about, are they related to the D&D rule system or technical problems from designing a game with a lot more features (and usually more free world, because the usual map constraints have to take the climbing/swimming into accounts)?

There are some clear difficulties in NWN2 case since it doesn

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Doofus, it's not about Rhomal being a Bioware fan. The whole point is that he'd prefer the NWN2 boards to be here at Obsidian. So would I.

Nevertheless, I just can't get all that excited because the boards are over at Obsidian. I say let Obsidian have them.

Once again, Vol can't comprehend a post and yet responds to it.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Words are so fragile. They easily break and when old and rarely used ones do that, they stink up the place as well. If you are being a farting arse about it, they powers that be can't tell smell the difference... But we can, stay here!

(Signatures: disabled) 

>Doofus, it's not about Rhomal being a Bioware fan. The whole point is that he'd prefer the NWN2 boards to be here at Obsidian. So would I.

Correct on the last part. As for be being a 'bioware' fan... if anyone accuses me of being a fan boi to them they have not been following events as of late. I am not going to air dirty laundry in public, not my style, but it is fair to say a couple of my recent op eds got under their skin as well as some of my critical observations in the forums. I am not on their, nor ever was, top 10 list of fav forum peeps.

I was tolorated as a mod and more or less the same now.

If anyone says otherwise in this topic they are talking out of their arse.

> Once again, Vol can't comprehend a post and yet responds to it.

In V's defense, hes posted ~70 posts on the nwn2news forum. Every one of them was well thought out and interesting read. Not one generated any complaints. *shrugs*

I suppose my point is when he wants to, he can read and understand quite well :thumbsup:

Admin of World of Darkness Online News

News/Community site for the WoD MMORPG

http://www.wodonlinenews.net

---

Jericho sassed me so I broke into his house and stabbed him to death in his sleep. Problem solved. - J.E. Sawyer

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

---

Expecting "innovation" from Bioware is like expecting "normality" from Valve -Moatilliatta

Rhomal needs to be TOMBS'ed. Seriously.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Volourn will be Volourn. At times he says something profound. Other times he posts absolute dribble. So, he is pretty much like any other poster except he has his style. :(

Actually that thread I made was to ask is there anything substantial added. Adding a Z axis would be something substantial over NWN 1 and since that was something everybody knows about I used that as an example. Unfortunately people got fixated on it and well, for my part so did I. I didn't meant it to be the focus however. Really. :wub:

Edited by Hades_One

True, but I was talking about both developers and endusers.  Something like climbing is a pain to implement, but potentially very awesome if it is supported by design.  On the other hand, if you tell endusers that they're going to get climbing but no new prestige classes, the Mystic Theurge fanclub will commit seppuku.

Um... Let the Mystic Theurge commit seppuku. The gene pool will thank them for it. :wub: