The end is the beginning is the end.

Darth Jebus

Strong Japanesse developer support is not a major factor for me.  Most JRPGs just don't cut it in my book, except for two specific games.

It's not just JRPGs though. Thats certainly a factor but it's also games like MGS and DMC etc. You should play Shim Megami. It's just the sort of dark heavy stuff you like.

Edited by ShadowPaladin V1.0
I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

the strong japanese developer support and the Blu-ray are the major ones for me. I'm not just a gamer, I'm a movie buff, so the whole HD movie thing is one of my big things.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Never got the excitement about Blue-Ray. Until the dust settles, it's just hype.

Have you ever seen HD TV? Thats what the excitement is about.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Never got the excitement about Blue-Ray. Until the dust settles, it's just hype.

Like the pioneer elite in my living room?

You can get "HD" off of dual layer DVDs and HD-DVD too

EDIT: EDIT: just made it a new post

Edited by kumquatq3

Not really enough room on a DvD on the highest recording quality you get about 2 hours. HD-DVD yes, but then no consoles coming with a built in HD-DvD player.

People said much the same about CD when DvDs came along. The very fact that you would have to have more than 1 DVD for movies plus extras certainly means a larger capacity media is in order.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Not really enough room on a DvD on the highest recording quality you get about 2 hours. HD-DVD yes, but then no consoles coming with a built in HD-DvD player.

My point is, if your a movie buff, it's REALLY early to say one of your big reasons for buying a PS3 is for movies. If it doesn't take off, then there wasn't really any great reason for including it in the PS3. I don't really see games taking up 27 GB of space anytime soon.

+ Blue-Ray is more expensive, at least, for the next few years at least. That will be reflected in both the price of the PS3 and it's games, I believe.

It's the best format out there, imo, but it clearly has real drawbacks.

+ Blue-Ray is more expensive, at least, for the next few years at least. That will be reflected in both the price of the PS3 and it's games, I believe.

It's the best format out there, imo, but it clearly has real drawbacks.

Probably , although your already paying

478327[/snapback]

You think? I'm not so sure. If Sony doesn't make decent profits off the games.....

the 360 isn't HD-DVD tho

I was saying, for games, Blue-Ray is more than likely over kill for this gen of games. If movies don't take off for Blue-ray, than it remains expensive over-kill.

Plus, I love Sony products in general, but they do goofy **** with their formats.

You can limit the profit just as easily by going too high as too low.

No, it was supposed to be, but getting it onto the market was seen as more important.

Oh I'm sure Sqenix could fill a Blu Ray. (w00t) The way I see it is this. When the PS came out CD's were overkill. By the time it came to the end games were coming on 4 CD's.

On the PS2 games are coming on 2 DvD's or more commonly content is being left off to avoid overspilling onto 2 CD's.

The benifits of Blu Ray are it's unlikely that your going to have to leave out content because of overspill for quite some time. What I think it will do is establish a new average in game size, one that DVD wont be able to equal without multiple disks.

478327[/snapback]

The benifits of Blu Ray are it's unlikely that your going to have to leave out content because of overspill for quite some time. What I think it will do is establish a new average in game size, one that DVD wont be able to equal without multiple disks.

Yes and No

I think that really depends on the console wars.

If Microsoft and Nintendo gain ground on Sony, then more devs will focus on compression and pleasing those other crowds.

If Sony holds there market share, then I think any effects on game size will be FAR overshadowed by things like, imo, Nintendo leaving the home console market....or joining up with MS for next gen.

Edited by kumquatq3

Yes and No

If Microsoft and Nintendo gain ground on Sony, then more devs will focus on compression and pleasing those other crowds.

If Sony holds there market share, then I think any effects on game size will be FAR overshadowed by things like, imo, Nintendo leaving the home console market....or joining up with MS for next gen.

It's not going to be so much of an issue for Nintedo. They are really playing by their own rules this time around. I doubt cross platforming is going to be a big part of the revolution strategy.

If the machine has run into space issues even before release then I dont see how things are going to get better. What it will most likely result in is games that last an afternoon like Gun , Kong and Kameo. If on the other hand developers have 27 GB to play around with, then there is no pressure to cut things short to save space (for other reasons , maybe but not space).

478327[/snapback]

Yes and No

It's not going to be so much of an issue for Nintedo. They are really playing by their own rules this time around. I doubt cross platforming is going to be a big part of the revolution strategy.

If the machine has run into space issues even before release then I dont see how things are going to get better. What it will most likely result in is games that last an afternoon like Gun , Kong and Kameo. If on the other hand developers have 27 GB to play around with, then there is no pressure to cut things short to save space (for other reasons , maybe but not space).

What, games that last an afternoon are short now? I completed Donkey Kong Country in under an hour. Without losing a single life. On my first go. :-"

No, really. :-

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

Games are forever growing. People who think that a DVD will be enough in a couple of years really hasn't learned their history lesson. I still remember the first time I thought about buying a PC. It had 32 MB RAM and a 1 GB HD, and my friends still tease me about it (I accidently let slip that I thought I'd never need more than 1 GB..)!

I'm just hoping Blu-Ray doesn't become a second BetaMax.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Thats just a TV, you can't achieve HD with just a TV(but you need an HD-TV to view HD), you need an HD reciever to get any HD tv channels, and they haven't released any movies in HD yet. The difference between HD and DVD is about equal to the difference between VHS and DVD. After watching my Dad's couple HDTV channels for a couple hours, it was painful to go back to DVD and regular TV.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Thats just a TV, you can't achieve HD with just a TV(but you need an HD-TV to view HD), you need an HD reciever to get any HD tv channels,

I assure you it's not hooked up to analog (tho I think it would be HILARIOUS if I had it running on rabbit ear antennas)

and they haven't released any movies in HD yet.

Not only have they, it's on todays DVD tech

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsme...film/T2DVD.aspx

It's all about compression in this case, not storage space.

EDIT: if you click to link that checks to see if you can play it, it tells you: Format: 1080P (letterbox 2.35)

^ cool eh?

EDIT 2: more info http://www.wmvhd.com/

and the 360 supports WMV HD, hence it can play 780 and 1080 movies, in the right format

Edited by kumquatq3

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/668/668446p1.html

IGN's top 10 reasons to wait for the PS3.

PS3 > 360

revolution > PS3 > 360

Search your feelings, you know it to be true

I'm hoping it will be good.

But let's face it, Nintendo has been alianating themselves since N64.

Revolution seems like just another step in that direction...