The end is the beginning is the end.

Darth Jebus

I managed try out the Xbox360 at a local store in Turku, Finland today. It was connected to a 23" HDTV but no speakers or sound. My impressions were:

- The image is sharper with HDTV, but it suffered from the same tearing that one can observe with PC monitors when the vsync is off. Very irritating (ratio errors on that perticular TV maybe?)

- The controller is nice (wireless, whee!).

- King Kong looked like an aware PC-game, nothing special since it was a port.

- NHL2006 had nice reflections but xbox 1 graphics in general, meh.

- NBA2006 had massive tearing and jumpy framerate, but better graphics than the Xbox, yay!

- PGR3 was really beatiful, and had nice graphics, feel and gameplay. No collition detection though.

Overall: I wouldn't get it at this stage, none the games had any interest (PGR3 was nice, but i wouldn't buy a Xbox360 for that). When the price goes down and with a library of games like Halo 3, Ninja Gaiden 2 + some Bioware, Obisidian and Mistwalker rpg's, i might get it.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Bit underwhelming isnt it. I dont think EA did the machine any favours when it came to the stuff they released.

Actually Eurogamer did review the 360 version of Fifa , gave it 2/10 but the review has since been pulled.

Mario Kart DS is more pure fun than PGR. PGR looks pretty but lacks substance and I just didnt find it that much fun to play.

Edited by ShadowPaladin V1.0
I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Best all time controller: N64

I hated that Z button used to give me cramp in my thumb.

A controller should have no more than 4 face buttons (not including start etc)

Edited by ShadowPaladin V1.0
I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I find the GC controller to be the most user friendly.

I play a lot of RE games (PS version/PS2 version) and even I had trouble with the movements =]

When I got the games for the GC... it was like this massive weight had been lifted from my shoulders... the GC controller allows for some really precise controls :o

It was almost the same experience for me. It wasn't until I got a chance to play Resident Evil 4 on both consoles that I started to notice a difference. Aiming my guns felt so much more.. intuitive (for lack of a better word) on the Gamecube than it ever does on my Playstation 2. On the Playstation 2 it's a game of trying to press the fire button when you pass over the object you want to hit. On the Gamecube it felt more like I was placing the crosshair rather than just passing it over stuff.

I used to be quite happy with my Playstation 2 controllers too. Damn you, Gaycube!

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Bit underwhelming isnt it. I dont think EA did the machine any favours when it came to the stuff they released.

Actually Eurogamer did review the 360 version of Fifa , gave it 2/10 but the review has since been pulled.

Mario Kart DS is more pure fun than PGR. PGR looks pretty but lacks substance and I just didnt find it that much fun to play.

I've heard rumours that EA had to cut stuff from their EA Sports lineups to make the launch (I consider my source somewhat credible too).

Any truth to these statements?

Best all time controller: N64

I hated that Z button used to give me cramp in my thumb.

A controller should have no more than 4 face buttons (not including start etc)

:huh:

How, exactly?

I mean, the Z trigger was pressed with the index finger...

:huh:

The only injury the N64 controller ever gave me was the dreaded Mario Party Palm. >_<

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

I never had any problems with the N64 controller. Though I did prefer the PSX controller in terms of buttons, the analog stick was very nice.

(As an aside, analog sticks aren't really analog in the correct sense of the word are they?)

I never had any problems with the N64 controller.  Though I did prefer the PSX controller in terms of buttons, the analog stick was very nice.

(As an aside, analog sticks aren't really analog in the correct sense of the word are they?)

Hmm...I always thought they were.

A D-Pad has two possible settings for each "button", on or off. Left button pressed or not pressed, up button pressed or not pressed. That's a digital system (1 or 0), right?

Whereas an analog stick theoretically at least can recieve an input of every possible value in between it's minimum or maximum.

So if one drew a graph of the transmisson recieved as a "left" instruction was given on both, you'd see a straight jump from 0 to 1 for the D-Pad, but a line going from 0 to 1 on an analog stick as the analog stick was moved to the maximum amount of left, going through every value on the way.

That's the theory, at least. I think.

Maybe the execution is different (or I wasn't paying enough attention when we went through what digital and analog devices are in Physics in school), though, but as far as I know, they are analog devices.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!