Proof Jesus was black

Mojo

Religion is like drink. Good in moderation. And mixing religions makes you vomit.

Could you explain this please?

Certainly. The statement arose because I am an idiot.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

:wacko:
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

And I like to start the evening with beer, move onto wine, and finish on bourbon. PUt I pay for it in the morning.

Actually the thing is I was making a point about religion and alcohol having good and positive points. Both being excellent when taken in a spirit of goodwill towards men, and a fuel for violence and cruelty when taken in a spirit of anger or despair.

Fair analogy?

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

And I like to start the evening with beer, move onto wine, and finish on bourbon. PUt I pay for it in the morning.

Actually the thing is I was making a point about religion and alcohol having good and positive points. Both being excellent when taken in a spirit of goodwill towards men, and a fuel for violence and cruelty when taken in a spirit of anger or despair.

Fair analogy?

Now why didn't Christ put that in the Bible. A lot of troubles it would have saved.

I've been longing for this, for some reason... First off, I don't take the church's tyranny and horrible deeds back then in to account when I argue about my faith or, eh..."talk with god". I believe in god(s), not some institution.

(1)Yes, if we ask "What's the point of religion?", then the answer I'd give is the functionalist one. Religion stems from the human's need to explain the unknown and the want to grasp some of it. On that point; Marx really is right about the opiate thing.

(2)Father figure as in; authority, comfort and love? Everyone needs them. You could say that if the society doesn't provide, goes does. Which explains why so many cons, addicts and misfits find comfort from church. But, I don't exactly agree about he need of a father figure. Yes, everyone prays when they're scared, for that something to take care of them, so in the bottom every individual needs someone big to trust to. Then again; I have a dad a somewhat loving family and several friends, so you could say that my need for authority, love and comfort are satisfied. Why do I believe in that something then? Do you mean...

(3) ...that I'm irrational? Remnant of an older system? Somehow daft? Or do you mean that this is a seasonal thing? Something people grasp for in this age in their search for life's meaning.

(4) This I fully agree with. It's a faith thing. Some cynical individual could say that all believers do religion like drugs; big one that fits you just as long you get the kicks. Well, why not? I don't know what urges christinaity satisfies in me, but I can say that I chose my opium well. :D

God(s) ? slightly confused here .

Religion is the opiate of the masses. Yep if your going to screw over the poor in this life , promising them paradise in the next if they behave is a good method of social control.

Every society has constructed their own "father figure". If we go back to the dawn of history the earliest concept was that the ancestors never leave and by keeping them physically we can maintain contact with them. Some societies still bring out these mumified ancestors when important desicions need to be made. Thats really no different that someone praying for guidence if you think about it. If you doubt your ability to make the right choice then asking some "greater entity" dosnt seem like such a bad move.

The reason why you never get a completely benevolent god according to Freud (disregarding social control for a moment) is that the human psyche cannot cope with a parent that does not punish.

Oh I think all things are cyclic, it's just a matter of appreciating the time scale involved. When one belief system ceases to work we simply create another , thats been the history of religion from the start. The only time this natural process changes is when you change it at the point of a sword.

Are you crazy ? Well people who hear voices have often been called crazy (amoung other things) is talking to an imaginery entity crazy ? Probably no more crazy than talking to a mummy if you think about it.

I don't really care if someone believes in god or not. Like we said it is functional. However when religion and secular views clash society should always go with the evidence rather than faith if it wants to grow.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

However when religion and secular views clash society should always go with the evidence rather than faith if it wants to grow.

Win thread.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

However when religion and secular views clash society should always go with the evidence rather than faith if it wants to grow.

Agreed. However, I will go one step further and say that religion should be practiced in the way that faith do not clash with scientific evidence in the first place.

Edited by julianw

hands up anyone whose views on Religion vs Science have been shaped by playing Sid Meir's Alpha Centauri.

-Elwood Blues

My religion was shaped, a bit too much, by reading Terry Pratchetts "Small Gods", but I know what you mean. :D A terrific game that one.

kirottu said:

Fair analogy?

Now why didn't Christ put that in the Bible. A lot of troubles it would have saved.

I dunno. I thought the whole thing with the good samaritan, the first among you without sin casting the first stone, consider the lillies, forgiveness, giving out free booze, and so on was intended that way.

-Elwood Blues

Agreed. However, I will go one step further and say that religion should be practiced in the way that faith do not clash with scientific evidence in the first place.

I don't think that is possible religion dosnt exactly adapt quickly. Plus you cant predict what science will come up with next so trying to plot your religion around it would be next to impossible.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

hands up anyone whose views on Religion vs Science have been shaped by playing Sid Meir's Alpha Centauri.

Can't say it did. Although it was indeed a fantastic game.

I'd usually play the Gains or Morgan hows that for extreme clash of personality

478327[/snapback]

I dunno. I thought the whole thing with the good samaritan, the first among you without sin casting the first stone, consider the lillies, forgiveness, giving out free booze, and so on was intended that way.

Yeah. I guess.

If only Christ is still alive today... We could go talk to him and get all the confusions sorted out.

I don't think that is possible religion dosnt exactly adapt quickly. Plus you cant predict what science will come up with next so trying to plot your religion around it would be next to impossible.

Well. Keeping an open mind will help. As well as admitting the fact that science has the final say on all matters concerning the physical universe.

:huh:

I love Jesus... jokes.

Jesus saves....

.....But Rooney scores on the rebound.

That was a great game. We'd have won too, if they hadn't played Ghandi on the wing.

I don't think Jesus would kill himself when he saw what we were like. We'd nail his ***shiny new donkey*** too quick for him to get a look in.

ydk19990902.gif

-Elwood Blues

I'm thankful you were not not Jesus then.

kirottu said: