Naughty naughty Microsoft.

I could have called it MS is full of crap but I thought i'd be diplomatic. Read some of the forum responses though, clearly they didnt feel quite the same way.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=61708

I'll stick in the relevent bits for the link shy.

"Microsoft has refused to confirm rumours that flagship title Project Gotham Racing 3 won't run at 720p - but they're not exactly denying it, either.

"The only performance number a gamer should care about is the output, as that is what is actually viewed and enjoyed," a Microsoft spokesperson told Eurogamer".

"Microsoft has previously stated that all Xbox 360 games will run in high definition - according to a statement on Xbox.com, "Games are required to be authored for 720p and 1080i."

"Microsoft did, however - and the spokesperson told us that this isn't an issue for gamers: "What is going on behind the scenes in the code or the HW to get the incredible visuals for Xbox 360 is not what gamers care about.

"They just care about playing great looking and innovative games, and that is exactly what Xbox 360 and the launch lineup has provided."

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3145713&did=1

1up reviews Project Gotham Racing 3.. 10/10  :)

All reviewers will be blinded by the graphics for a while. Better get used to it fast.

Reviewing games with so few of them out seems a bit pointless anyway. It's not like your spoiled for choice or anything.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Definitely agree on that, the best racing game on the 360 is a pretty useless award right now. 

I do kinda agree with the spokesperson though...will gamers really care about numbers if the performance is great?

Well, I think the point is that they said, specifically, that all games would be up at 720p and 1080i. And now, apparently, they're copping out on that promise.

Edited by LoneWolf16

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Definitely agree on that, the best racing game on the 360 is a pretty useless award right now. 

I do kinda agree with the spokesperson though...will gamers really care about numbers if the performance is great?

Well there is a bit of a story behind it. Which is that they couldnt get the game to work in the proper resolution and still run at 60 fps. It's the willingness to cut quality corners to make deadlines that set the alarm bells ringing.

Oh came across this too and it made me laugh

(might help if you played Shadow of Collosus buy anyway).

If your wonder what "collusus that is, it's the 360 power supply.

post-481-1132179188_thumb.jpg

478327[/snapback]

Well there is a bit of a story behind it. Which is that they couldnt get the game to work in the proper resolution and still run at 60 fps. It's the willingness to cut quality corners to make deadlines that set the alarm bells ringing.

Oh came across this too and it made me laugh

(might help if you played Shadow of Collosus buy anyway).

If your wonder what "collusus that is, it's the 360 power supply.

You could help monkeys evolve with that thing!

We now bring you live footage from the World Championship Staring Final.

staringcontest8og.gif

Whats the big deal here? Quality is all that matters; not stupid numbers.

Higher resolution = Higher quality.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

- Everlast

Whats the big deal here? Quality is all that matters; not stupid numbers.

Higher resolution = Higher quality.

Graphically, yes...

Gameplay... probably not

For gameplay I'm pinning my hopes on the Revolution. At least it wont distract the developers into making the same game as before with prettier pictures.

From the people who have played it in pods etc. PGR isnt a 10/10 not even close.

478327[/snapback]

"Higher resolution = Higher quality."

I doubt the difference is so huge that a non techie like myself will really notice that much difference as to hurt my enjoyment of a game's graphics.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I doubt the difference is so huge that a non techie like myself will really notice that much difference as to hurt my enjoyment of a game's graphics.

Do you have a HDTV ? The differences are more apparent. Unless it was goofy cable.

478327[/snapback]

True, for the most part...but you specifically said "Quality is all that matters", and higher resolution does equal higher (Yes, Wookie, I know, but graphics are part of the whole package.) over all quality. Technical, but I'm still right.

- Everlast

Graphically, yes...

Gameplay... probably not

I agree, completely, Battlewookiee.

A game with good graphics does not make it a good game. The gamin industry has, in my opinion, just fallen completely apart. They have focused more on recycling the same games over and over and over again, only with better graphics and the latest technology for the "next-gen" console.

A word of warning, people - incase you have figured it out by now. There will always be "next-gen" consoles. Technology is always evolving and getting better. Once the new systems come out, I would really appreciate if the developers get back to making worthwhile games.

My views on the matter are thus: I love great graphics. They really do add so much to a good game. Notice, however, that I said "add to a good game" and not "make a game good"? If a game has awesome graphics, but a poor story and poor function, then what good is it?

Once you've played one racing game, you've really played them all. Once you've played once wrestling game, you've played them all. Now that the good graphics are finally here, I am look more innovation not in graphics or hardware power, but in writing, gameplay, and spirit. And game worth playing.

I get bored very quickly just driving through a city with nothing to do but go in circles or run over old woman. :ph34r:

:wacko:

Well, that's my take on the whole matter.

P.S. Though I would like to add the little extra comment that the graphic on these new consoles just barely come to parr with what has been out for years on the PC. Many of the "next-gen" games on cross-platform with PC and XBOX360 have had to be played down so it would run properly on the 360.

But granted, graphics have come a long way. I am especially glad that cross-platform games will no longer be greatly restricted due to a console's inabilities. Because those inabilities are slim-to-none at the moment.

"Learn to harness your anger and control your fear. Dominate your emotions! But do not let them overcome you; for they can surely cause you to fall to the dark side.

If you expect to win against a Sith then you need to fight like a Sith! If you do not, you will always be met with defeat."

-- Jedi Master Seraphis Dakari

I agree with Paladin here. Those who bought a 51" HDTV in order to play PGR 3 at 720p will not be pleased.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I agree with Paladin here. Those who bought a 51" HDTV in order to play PGR 3 at 720p will not be pleased.

I needed a good laugh. Total comedy.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Just to get this out there, there will me a Halo master chiefesque character in Dead Or Alive four for the Xbox... It'll be spartan 453 (a Lady) going up against a freaking ninja.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.