Advice needed on fanfics...?

14884_1556103668

Well, I am a writer, although my main genre is actually horror short stories, but I have just written a first chapter for a KOTOR2 fanfic (never done fanfics before, ever... :rolleyes: ) and I was wondering if there are any forums (obviously not here, lol) that I can post it on. Also, are there strict guidelines etc, as the characters obviously are star wars KOTOR ones...what gives on that? I am a total newbie to this, so any help would be very appreciated...

If I shouldn't have posted this question here, then I do apologise, and wont be offended if it gets deleted...

Hehehe I am not here to plug myself, or anything like that whats so ever...I just need a liitle help, as most of the writers that I do know, do not write fanfics :lol:

These rules apply to everyone(aka common sense):

First rule on fan fiction: Don't write it. Seriously, if you're a gifted writer, make something original, something that's your own. Making fanfics just kills creativity(subjective, but still...) and if you just plain suck at writing, the ffort would be better spent on something else.

Second rule: If you do decide to write it, and expect someone to read it; keep it civil. No matter if it's the ending you wanted but did not get or your view on the story, write about the characters, your or the game's, not your very own private fantasies of the characters or buried urges. That's not only sad, but also very annoying to read, insulting to the public plus you'd be better off seeking help.

Third rule: Give respect where it's due. People do think, no matter what they tell you in the internets, so make them do so. Even though your public might seem to love what you're spewing out; stop to think. They're most likely as sad as you, hormone-crazed fanboiis or poor fangrrrls, or(this one being the worst) just polite. Akward politeness, with the obligatory smilies, is a sign you're doing something wrong. IF you've gone so far as to break first and second rule, then you might as well do it with style and give it your best shot. The only thing you might offend is your psyche. The readers that matter are long gone by then anyway. And now once you're at it; you might as well read the final rule.

Fourth and final rule: The fiction is ready, you know how to spread it, it's the final draft and everything seems fine and dandy? What're you waiting for then? Uploa...oh no. Proofread it first. Spell check. And kill off inconsistencies. If at all possible, get somebody to read it before posting for all to see. A second view on things never hurts.

- :(

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

These rules apply to everyone(aka common sense):

First rule on fan fiction: Don't write it. Seriously, if you're a gifted writer, make something original, something that's your own. Making fanfics just kills creativity(subjective, but still...) and if you just plain suck at writing, the ffort would be better spent on something else.

Second rule: If you do decide to write it, and expect someone to read it; keep it civil. No matter if it's the ending you wanted but did not get or your view on the story, write about the characters, your or the game's, not your very own private fantasies of the characters or buried urges. That's not only sad, but also very annoying to read, insulting to the public plus you'd be better off seeking help.

Third rule: Give respect where it's due. People do think, no matter what they tell you in the internets, so make them do so. Even though your public might seem to love what you're spewing out; stop to think. They're most likely as sad as you, hormone-crazed fanboiis or poor fangrrrls, or(this one being the worst) just polite. Akward politeness, with the obligatory smilies, is a sign you're doing something wrong. IF you've gone so far as to break first and second rule, then you might as well do it with style and give it your best shot. The only thing you might offend is your psyche. The readers that matter are long gone by then anyway. And now once you're at it; you might as well read the final rule.

Fourth and final rule: The fiction is ready, you know how to spread it, it's the final draft and everything seems fine and dandy? What're you waiting for then?  Uploa...oh no. Proofread it first. Spell check. And kill off inconsistencies. If at all possible, get somebody to read it before posting for all to see. A second view on things never hurts.

- :)

All good advice...and since the first rule was subjective (Highly. I do my own stuff, but I like to create stories and branch off from the plots of established worlds. And I've been told I'm pretty good...If somewhat wordy.), no arguments here. And I'd go with Fanfiction.net if you want to do more fanfics, on different subjects. If you're just planning on KotOR related fics...stick with Kotorfanmedia.

I've got an account at the former....which I haven't touched in...over a year now. I've gotten better.

Word to the wise. Take your time, and never let the community rush you. Oh, and once you've decided, how about a link to your work? I'd love to read it. :(

Edited by LoneWolf16

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

Fifth rule: DON'T listen to Muso. (at least not his first rule) :(

As a fanfic writer myself, there is nothing wrong with writing fanfiction, especially if you're a beginner writer. Don't be afraid to write it. However, as Muso said, don't make these stories just tablets for you to project your own personal fantasies (such as those of what Muso mentioned) >_< Be creative! Don't just copy the original story. One reason I write fanfics is so I can put the characters in my own universe. My KOTOR fanfic doesn't even follow the original plotline of KOTOR II at all, it just contains some of the same characters!

Also, always be the harshest critic of your fiction. (I mean, to a reasonable extent; don't crucify yourself) Just because everyone likes it, doesn't mean you can't do better, or that you can get lazy. But at the same time, don't be hostile to outside criticism, and remember that just because someone criticizes your work doesn't mean they hate it or that you suck at writing. Learn from criticism, don't be bogged down by it. :)

Edited by Mothman

Fifth rule: DON'T listen to Muso. :(

Each time someone writes that, something inside me dies. But still I feel loved. :)

Seriously, Mothie is quite rightfor once. Pay heed to him.

Edited by Musopticon?
kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

Thanks alot for all the great advice everyone :D

Well, what I am trying to write (lol) is what happens after Malachar 5. I know, I know, its probably been over done to death, but what I am trying to do, is to add more depth to the characters, and what happens to them in the future, but also all leading up to a totally new plot and threat...how that is going to work out, I do not know, as I find a story will usually end up writing itself. More so, as I am *cough cough over the age of 25 *cough cough :"> , it will a more mature kind of way at looking at the whole.

I find descriptive character defination an interesting aspect of writing. Many things can be revealed, or left unsaid by thoughts of the particular character etc. Yes, there will be some romance, some betrayal and some twists...lol, the usual formula. As I have said, I am not trying to do anything thats really different, I just want to try to breathe more life into particular characters...give them more depth, and this is not done because of what was left out in the game...

It may very well be a load of old tosh...but it is a very good exercise for myself, as I have been suffering a chronic writers block for the last year or so, and that to a writer is very disturbing...so, this is the first thing in a long time that has made me sit up and think...well what if that happened?

As a a matter of fact, I do have someone that proof reads for me...my hubby, lol ;) He has proof read everything that I have written [he's a writer too] and I have been writing seriously for the last 5 years (only short stories though), and I have had quite a few published on the web, and also got my first one book published in an anthology last year (in print, yay) :">

Boy, am I rambling... :wub:

"and also got my first one book published in an anthology last year"

Congrats, you're way ahead of me.

kirottu said:

^And again does the Rebel grace us with links so vile and gold-worthy.

kirottu said:

"and also got my first one book published in an anthology last year"

Congrats, you're way ahead of me.

If you like, I can give you the link to the publishing site where I got my story in...they are always on the lookout for writers, poets...and it doesn't specifically have to be one genre, or another. They are a small publishing company...although sadly, you do not get paid for it...but its a step up to getting yourself on the ladder...and they are kosher as I wouldn't dream of sending my work to someone unless they check out :wub:

[quote name='

kirottu said:

You're quite a -nazi.

kirottu said:

:rolleyes:
kirottu said: