Project Entropia

Surreptishus

I dont quite understand, is Entropia a game thats is about paying real money to get game money so you can buy things? Or is it just some dingbat players who buy in-game property for real money a la everquest? ;)

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I've always found the idea a bit ridiculous. I suppose it depends on how seriously you take these things. Even when I was playing seriously I never considered buying items with real money. Although if you don't play a lot and you have a lot of real money, it's an option. Even as far back as UO castles would sell for pretty high sums.

I suppose if you can't own the real deal, then virtual is the next best thing :D

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I think the key's to convince the customers that their investments will continue to have value long into the future and possibly appreciate in value.

For a lot of MMORPGs you're not sure if they'll still be popular a few years down the line so players could be reluctant to spend big. On the other hand you have things like Magic the Gathering which looks to continue long into the future.

Spreading beauty with my katana.

I think the key's to convince the customers that their investments will continue to have value long into the future and possibly appreciate in value. 

For a lot of MMORPGs you're not sure if they'll still be popular a few years down the line so players could be reluctant to spend big.  On the other hand you have things like Magic the Gathering which looks to continue long into the future.

Dosnt seem likley as most MMPORG items depriciate very quickly. Since virtual space is to all intents and purposes infinite I don't think it mirrors the real world too closely.

People still play magic ? Havnt played that game in years

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I'm clueless.  :blink:

I think some guy just gave someone $100,000 to own a property that isnt real and that he will never see.

He itends to rent it out like you would a block of flats.

I really don't see the attraction but perhaps a lot of crackpots play the game.

478327[/snapback]

Perhaps it's an investment - he can split it up and rent/sell individual lots, like a shopping centre? Or make it a really popular place for on-line people to gather, and then sell advertising. I mean, presumably he has a plan.

I wonder how long it will be before atlases have to start including all these virtual worlds.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

the fact people make their lives gaming and don't need to work scares me and entices me at the same time.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4374610.stm

I regard this as insane, but then again i have never played an MMO and would be considered a light gamer compared to many forum members.

What do other people think?

I think it's dumb.

Well said. :rolleyes:

Oh, and Seconded.

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4374610.stm

I regard this as insane, but then again i have never played an MMO and would be considered a light gamer compared to many forum members.

What do other people think?

I think it's dumb.

I think its a neat concept. The way the game works, he could end up making a profit off that, and thats cool.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg