PS3 costs scaring away developers?

Epiphany

FACT:  PEOPLE LIKE THINGS THAT ARE FREE BETTER THAN THINGS THEY HAVE TO PAY FOR!

Like most things written all in capital letters this is simply bollocks. People are suspicious of anything that is free. People would rather use a system which costs 100 bucks than one which is free because despite all evidence to the contrary they believe it is somehow better. take advice for example. Earlier this year I wrote a report which I felt was so important it should be disseminated as widely as possible - hence free. It died on its feet. I recently re-released the report with a large price tag, and I have people queuing up.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Like most things written all in capital letters this is simply bollocks. People are suspicious of anything that is free. People would rather use a system which costs 100 bucks than one which is free because despite all evidence to the contrary they believe it is somehow better. take advice for example. Earlier this year I wrote a report which I felt was so important it should be disseminated as widely as possible - hence free. It died on its feet. I recently re-released the report with a large price tag, and I have people queuing up.

What was the report about ?

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I think that only occurs when you don't already have something. Plus, your example is a singleton and unfortunately anecdotal.

If you're planning on purchasing something, the one that has free things that come with it often do very well.

Maybe my example isn't much better, but we basically have 3 top brands of beer at a liquor store I used to work at. The one that had the free giveaway was always the best seller, because it's getting more for your money.

People ARE leery of free, but the "free" in this case required a previous purchase, so people see it as more bang for the buck. People love free online games, and I'd wager games like Starcraft, Counterstrike, Diablo 1 & 2 have done a lot better than the MMO games. In fact, Guild Wars was released with a free online mode (and it's an MMO) because ArenaNet and NCSoft felt it could be more profitable to sell units rather than make money on subscriptions.

Free stuff WITH something else is an excellent marketting program. And as long as increased sales cover the cost of the free goodies, it pays off in the long run.

Honestly, I think both systems are pricing themselves out of their market, especially in the current economy. At some point, buying high-priced equipment that solely plays games becomes foolishness. I'm sure there are some who will buy, just not me.

The Xbox360 is coming out in a couple months, but the PS3 is still quite a ways off.  Of course there are a lot more titles announced for it.  They seem like two very different platforms.  The Xbox is a minor step forward, while the PS3 is a risky attempt at changing the status quo.  It may seem strange now, but Sony has a pretty good gambling record.

Minor step forward???

LOL

The X360 is a technical powerhouse, with a custom built GPU that is ground breaking and generations ahead of any GPU on the market or coming to the market in the next year, and a CPU that was tailored to run video game code with extreme ease.

Which is all words used to make their hardware sound more groundbreaking then it actually is, much like Segas "Blast Processing" which meants "Our chip runs faster". I admit that does sound as revolutionary though.

All the talk about 500+ systems sounds like a rumor to me unless Sony is stupid.

So he likes Microsoft. We can say the same thing about Shadowpalidan and Sony. :)

Both consoles have strengths and weaknesses. X Box 360 uses older hardware in media, but it is cheaper to produce games for. PS3 has cutting edge technology but more expensive to produce games.

To me that evens out. I expect X-Box 360 will have more newcomers like Obsidian while Sony will have the old ones such as Capcom and Square-Enix. I think both systems have their merits and worth getting, but who will win in the long run will be the consumer due to the diversity.

The world needs Nintendo :thumbsup:

Their new controller is kind of weird. It's pretty non intuative to someone familiar with a control pad. Anyone who can use a TV remote should be fine with it though. It's pretty good for parental units because it dosnt intimidate (since it's familiar).

The revolution is probably the only system where you will see real innvoation. The PS3 may give more content and longer games thanks to the media. The 360 will do Xbox only prettier, but none of them are really placed to innovate in the way that games created for the revolution could.

Edited by ShadowPaladin V1.0
I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Which console has ever had a GPU that was NOT "custom built" for it..? The PS3 also has a "custom built" GPU.

In a non anal sense, the PS3 doesn't have a custom built GPU, since it's just an overclocked 6800Ultra, the Xbox didn't have a truely custom built GPU, since it was just a slightly modified GeForce 3.

The CPU in the Xbox 360 is a PowerPC triple core processor. You and the Microsoft team might see that as a huge step forward, but I am sure the rest of the world sees it as pretty minor. Especially when compared to the CELL.

Yet, when compared on gaming standards, Xenos is a better gaming CPU than Cell is.

I am assuming that the "groundbreaking" feature in the GPU you are referring to is the unified shaders. I'm impressed with ATI too, but I sure want to see them function in a lot of different games before I start naming them groundbreaking. Nvidia is (naturally) very  sceptical of this new technology, although I suspect that ATI may be right in that unified shaders are the future. Still, too early to tell.

Nvidia is already making their USA cards for the next-gen PC GPU's, so they aren't very skeptical. It was too early when it was a taped release, but the cards are in the kits, the cards are functional, and the cards are working, at an optimal level as well.

USA is the future of GPU processing, it's a fail proof way to maximize GPU clock cycles for shading operations.

I'm not buying into the, "This is three generations ahead of PC!" from either of the Sony or MS camps, but they're certainly going to be equivalent to many times their cost in generic PC hardware, won't have to run a full bore OS, will have custom APIs that can be specifically optimized, will have serious economics of scale, will extort developer exclusivity, and will be aggressively underpriced by two corporate vomit-demons fighting for share. I think PCs will have a place but I suspect we'll morph into some kind of second-level front for videogames, particularly if Sony and MS recklessly push their game budgets into the stratosphere.

Since you aren't in the industry, whether you buy into the "generations ahead of PC GPU's" comment or not, does not change the fact that not a single person that has direct knowledge of Xenos has commented otherwise. The GPU is a monster, the eDRAM, and the USA put it leagues ahead what's out now, and what's coming in 2006.

It's not about being a fan, though if they had added true reverse compatability I might have become one.

It's just it seems Microsoft is trying too hard to be first, as if that'll really matter in the long run.

Seeing as how there are a grand total of 12 possible games that aren't BC, I don't see the point of your bitching. The PS2 does not play every single PS1 game.

I've said it all along - Epiphany is a M$ plant. Who else would make 3 pro xbox/anti sony propaganda threads and nothing else.

I've thought all along that you're illiterate, and the fact that you failed to post in, or even read the several PS3 feature threads I posted is evidence of that.

Congrats, you failed.

Edited by Epiphany

In a non anal sense, the PS3 doesn't have a custom built GPU, since it's just an overclocked 6800Ultra, the Xbox didn't have a truely custom built GPU, since it was just a slightly modified GeForce 3.

Not true at all. The RSX is not even the same architecture as the 6800 series. Where did you get that from? The closest relative to the RSX in the Nvidia family is the Geforce 7800 GTX. That's one generation later than the 6800.

"The PlayStation 3

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!