Ridiculous Thread concerning Crowe's Accent

metadigital

I nearly returned my X-Men 2 DVD when I found it had a (two minute!) advertisement for Master and Commander at the cinema plastered on the trailers.

Nineteenth century English sea captain with a Kiwi accent. :wacko:

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Master and Commander was a great film, swine-hearts.

Oh, and I probably won't watch Rome during the season, but if it still comes highly recommended, I'll watch the first season DVD collection.  I hardly ever watch T.V.  I listen to music mostly.

But Russell Crowe is a berk. The only reason to like that film is the historical story it was based on. And I'd rather read about it in a book, than have my experience ruptured with Crowe's nasal vowels.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

The accent sounds the same.  British, Kiwi and Aussie it all sounds the same.  :wacko:

We have a Russel Crow fan with us tonight.

Lets give it up for that tiny, tiny man

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

I nearly returned my X-Men 2 DVD when I found it had a (two minute!) advertisement for Master and Commander at the cinema plastered on the trailers.

Nineteenth century English sea captain with a Kiwi accent. :huh:

What, pray tell, is wrong with Master and Commander? Fairly faithful adaptation of the PO'B novels, an amalgam, certainly, but faithful to the themes to a certain extent.

As far as the accent...well, that's something only you folks still in the Commonwealth would be able to tell. Sounded English to me.

I prefer the accent used by the character "Inspector Barnaby" in the British "Midsomer Murders" TV series, can anyone who have seen it tell me what you'd call an accent like his? It sounds very solid and firm, so to speak.

Also, as a non native English speaker, I can easily hear the difference between British accents and Kiwi/Aussie, however the difference between those two are somewhat more blurred to me.

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

I think the precise part of speech is the glottal stops, which are elongated, in the Southern Hermisphereans.

Also, there is a tendency amongst Aussies (especially females) to add a rising inflection to all their sentences, which is used in normal conversational English to denote both a questoin and some sort of urgency or stress. Except in Welsh, who add a deepening inflection to denote urgency or stress.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Okay, so I just watched the second episode, and I must say I liked it a lot.  I've got to admit its got me hooked now.  The first episode was good, the second was great.  I found the intrigue and depth of it really interesting, and you can see them building up conflicts for the future (no not just between Pompei and Caesar).

Anyone else?

I'll definitely finish out the season.

One thing I didn't like was them stealing the trephining scene from Master and Commander.

For lack of a better way to do this, I'm quoting the statement that started this off topic discourse in Shadow's original thread. Have fun arguing over kiwi accents. Dammit.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

That's because Sean Connery is cool :cool:, besides his Scottish accent isn't that noticeable, is it?

Also, Russel Crowe tossed a phone at some Hotel clerk recently, very uncool. :p

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

That's because Sean Connery is cool :cool:, besides his Scottish accent isn't that noticeable, is it?

Also, Russel Crowe tossed a phone at some Hotel clerk recently, very uncool>_<

I'll take the rapist for 500.

Russel Crowe is an idiot >_<

i'm ashamed to admit that we come from the same country :(

I liked him back when he first appeared to us in Gladiator.

I liked him in Gladiator, but in hindsight, I think that was just because Gladiator was such a good movie.

Also, I can tell the difference between several of the different English accents, I can also recognize an Aussie accent fairly well, but due to lack of hearing them, I am apt to mistake a New Zealand or South African accent for some English or Aussie accent I haven't heard.

I'll take the rapist for 500. 

Care to explain what you meant by this statement, or am I supposed to read your mind?

DENMARK!

Alex Trebek: Well, Sean, let's see what you wrote. (screen shows Connery's answer) I'm sorry Alex.

Sean Connery: (somber) That I am.

Alex Trebek: (surprised) Wow.

Sean Connery: I know I give you a hard time, but it's all in good fun. I mean, you know that, don't you?

Alex Trebek: (pretending to know) Uhh