Rome

Shadowstrider

That surprised me not at all. I had a hunch they were going to change actors as soon as Octavian became "grown up" or a battle-leader or what have you.

They didn't do too bad a job picking the new actor physically, and his voice seems pretty similar, but the original guy had a better screen presence. We'll see.

I think they should just kill off those two bitter and arrogant rich-women characters and have done with it.

I miss Niobe.

I'm still lovin' the show, tho - especially some of the more minor characters with a few great lines now and then, like a couple of the Senators. Roman soap opera was never so entertaining.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

ARE YOU KIDDING!

Half a year passes and they switched the actor that plays Octavian? And he was one of the best parts of the show. BULL****!

Yeah that kinda sucked. I hate it when TV shows do that but they probably had good reasons for doing so.

First, since Octavian has left, I think that a few years have passed, not just six months from last weeks episode. If I remember correctly, it took him 4 years to build an army of over 10000 men to face Mark Anthony.

Second, something that bothered me a lot between last season's finale and the season 2 premiere is that Octavian had grown up physically. He was taller and his voice was starting to change but he seemed to be getting even skinnier somehow. Since only a day or two passed between seasons it was very strange to see this.

Third, if it bothers you too much you can find comfort in the fact that this is the final season of Rome. :sorcerer:

Yeah that kinda sucked. I hate it when TV shows do that but they probably had good reasons for doing so.

First, since Octavian has left, I think that a few years have passed, not just six months from last weeks episode. If I remember correctly, it took him 4 years to build an army of over 10000 men to face Mark Anthony.

Then they poorly marked the passage of time. As, iirc, that black screen from one episode back said "6 months later"

I just thought it was silly how they did it. "What, you do not recognize me". NO RELY!

Plus the straight hair.

The hair thing did make me laugh. Not only is it suddenly straight - which might be ok, some people w/curly hair cut very short get that way - it's now brown instead of blond.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I agree that Octavian's new actor is a bit of a mismatch. It's hard to tell after only one episode though, and it was pretty necessary since having a teenager go toe to toe with Antony would be a bit silly. I'm also tired of the the two Noble ladies, but it is almost the end. It's like they are teasing us with almost killing them off each week.

I agree that Octavian's new actor is a bit of a mismatch. It's hard to tell after only one episode though, and it was pretty necessary since having a teenager go toe to toe with Antony would be a bit silly. I'm also tired of the the two Noble ladies, but it is almost the end. It's like they are teasing us with almost killing them off each week.

I'd like a pit fight in the arena.

Atia vs. Sevilia.

To the death.

The winner facing lions and tigers.

and it was pretty necessary since having a teenager go toe to toe with Antony would be a bit silly.

He was a teen when that battle took place, eighteen or so, iirc. And it's not like their dueling in a arena, he's more than likely sitting on a horse and watching.

I agree that Octavian's new actor is a bit of a mismatch. It's hard to tell after only one episode though, and it was pretty necessary since having a teenager go toe to toe with Antony would be a bit silly.

Media-image wise, the original Octavian as he was looked too childishly innocent for that, I agree. Tho mostly I think it's because of his long curly hair. I wasn't sure if they were going to cut his hair and use a little more makeup and such to give him a more mature mein or a use a new studly actor. When he disappeared from screen for a bit, I knew it would be a new actor.

With the guy they picked - who doesn't look so much more "mature", really - I think they would have been just as well off giving the original actor a haircut etc.

Im very pessimistic about the actor that is playing Octavian now, he seems to act too innocently and pompously. However he didnt get too much screen time, hopefully in future episodes he will be more convincing.

I love Atias character. Very entertaining, and the actress plays the role splendidly. Shes like the T-Bag of Rome.

PS. How many years has it been since the start of the first season? Has anyone realized that Virinus' younger daughter has remained a little child all this time?

PS. How many years has it been since the start of the first season? Has anyone realized that Virinus' younger daughter has remained a little child all this time?

Hmm.

His eldest daughter hasn't grown much I agree but his younger daughter did. Maybe not enough though. His eligitimate son did so why would they keep one kid young like that?

I admit I don't remember her being younger though... strange. Maybe she's a Cylon? :happy:

Edited by astr0creep

After watching the new episode, I'm pleased that the show was finally starting to focus, again, more on the military/political positions & goals rather than the bickering women. I hope it stays in that vein.

That one Senator that's always in the middle of things - is it Kato? - I like him more and more.

That one Senator that's always in the middle of things - is it Kato? - I like him more and more.

It is Cicero, one of the more famous Orator of Roman history.

His fate will be revealed very soon methinks, like next episode.

I've been reading some Roman history lately and it is fascinating how close the show follows it.

According to what historians have said, some very interesting things are about to happen on the show.

The ending of last sunday's episode was a really good cliffhanger.

It's the best show on TV right now imho, just above BSG and Heroes. :sweat:

It is Cicero, one of the more famous Orator of Roman history.

His fate will be revealed very soon methinks, like next episode.

I'm so terrible with names...

I like what the actor does with him. Kind of weasely and all that.

I've been reading some Roman history lately and it is fascinating how close the show follows it.

According to what historians have said, some very interesting things are about to happen on the show.

They haven't done a bad job of trying to follow the political history amid all the dramatic license. Better than some anyway.

I was watching some History Channel shows and they made a nice point about how Cleopatra history is very biased since it was written via Roman perspective. All those lurid tales of her seductive nature may just be tall tales told by irritated enemies. Ancient history is always so...flexible. :lol:

I was watching some History Channel shows and they made a nice point about how Cleopatra history is very biased since it was written via Roman perspective. All those lurid tales of her seductive nature may just be tall tales told by irritated enemies. Ancient history is always so...flexible. :lol:

She married Marc Anthony and had a child with him. I always thought she went for Ceasar and in light of the show I found this very interesting.

Cleopatra & Caesar as a couple has always been a bit of a debate.

Her son Ptolemy XV, who was also called Caesarion, is often assumed to likely be of Caesar's get, but I don't think anyone has yet come up with anything that would seem to be concrete evidence for it.

She did apparently/supposedly raise up some kind of temple at the time of Casear's death which made a sort of "my child should be the heir" statement - the temple is still there and viewable. But who knows.

Cleopatra & Caesar as a couple has always been a bit of a debate.

Her son Ptolemy XV, who was also called Caesarion, is often assumed to likely be of Caesar's get, but I don't think anyone has yet come up with anything that would seem to be concrete evidence for it.

She did apparently/supposedly raise up some kind of temple at the time of Casear's death which made a sort of "my child should be the heir" statement - the temple is still there and viewable. But who knows.

Everybody knows Caesarion is Pullo's son! :D

Ok that purge episode was awesome.

That's how you do serial drama - I'm looking at you BSG!

For once my wife watched it with me and she was a bit impressed by the gore :D

And we finally get a battle scene!

One of the best episodes of the series imo, right up there with last season's finale and S01E08.

Yeah, they did great with the conclusions to some of the character's historical stories. Drama, sympathy, grace.

I'm still unsure about the "new" Octavian.