Rome

Shadowstrider

Master and Commander was a great film, swine-hearts.

Oh, and I probably won't watch Rome during the season, but if it still comes highly recommended, I'll watch the first season DVD collection. I hardly ever watch T.V. I listen to music mostly.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

I haven't been able to get into Rome, dunno why, maybe its just the characters never seem "casual". I watched the first season of Six Feet Under, and liked it o.k., but I didn't watch much after that and didn't get to see how alot of stories developed. I loved the Sopranos more often then not, but Deadwood was just sort of a dreary wash to me

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

I haven't been able to get into Rome, dunno why, maybe its just the characters never seem "casual". I watched the first season of Six Feet Under, and liked it o.k., but I didn't watch much after that and didn't get to see how alot of stories developed. I loved the Sopranos more often then not, but Deadwood was just sort of a dreary wash to me

Yeah, there isn't much casual moments in the show, its high drama. Just the way I like it, personally. Don't really want to watch a show about romans lounging around eating dinner. The most casual moment I've seen thus far was when the pair of centurions were riding along as they set out for Caesar's standard. Their exchange was hardly casual, but it was the closest to it you'll get. Or when Caesar was visited by his nephew, and Caesar fed him information to slip to Pompei.

Okay, Shadow, I've split the topic. I can't really comment on Rome, not having seen it. That's too bad, since I'd undoubtedly have a lot to say about it if I have. The thing to remember is that it's primary goal is to make money for HBO. It's meant to entertain, not educate. For that reason, I wouldn't scorn it for rearranging, deleting, or modifying a few facts.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

The second episode is much better than the first. I love the solider coming back to his wife after years bit. The way they played him as the "calm" solider, yet his wife sees him as an animal. When he meets her daughters boy freind, classic!

We all know the Romans were quite advanced, but it's fun seeing those different aspects.

Guest Fishboot

Just watched the second one on a replay. I found it a much more interesting episode - I think particularly since it was mostly told from the viewpoint of minor players. I'm interested in seeing the nuts and bolts of end-of-the-republic Rome, a kind of low level "history procedural", and I thought some of the interactions were interesting to see, like the negotiation over the daughter's fiancee and the soldier slave tribute. I'm working on pure faith in HBO that these features of Roman society are as correct as history/archaeology will allow.

Really? I truely like him. I've watched many, many films/plays/whatever and I find him to be among the best, if not the best outright.

Is it true to real life Caesar? No, not in the least. It'd be impossible to really portray the true Caesar.

Is it true to Caesar, the character? Caesar the legend? Absolutely. A calm, calculating leader who can respond to any situation and spin it to his advantage.

Is it true to Caesar, the character?  Caesar the legend?  Absolutely.  A calm, calculating leader who can respond to any situation and spin it to his advantage.

Why not play him as his enemies described him: "Caeser is every woman's man, and every man's woman!".

Guest Fishboot
The show keeps trying to be good. The pieces are there, but......

it's like a 7/10 that underacheives

It may just be that I'm having HBO one-hour drama withdrawal (Since it's been quite a while since any of my favored Sopranos/Deadwood/Wire have been on) but I'm really feeling Rome. I'm looking forward to episodes, and even future seasons (although they're really going along at quite a clip - Egypt may begin this season).

Personally, I think its better than Deadwood but not quite as good as Sopranos, with Band of Brothers being the tops.

I really like it, you can tell its building up the characters, their personalities and the conflicts. I missed the episode on Sunday but watched it last night, and I loved it

Especially at the end, I was actually confused myself as to what choices Titus and Lucius would make.

I really like the series. I especially like Titus' character, how he's so noble, yet not at the same time.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I don't think they've really changed his character. He is a lonely character who is seeking companionship and personal success. It just so happens he sees one primary means to attain both; fightin'!

He isn't a brute, necessarily - its just that to him violence is a means to an end. Considering the era in which he lived, I'd say he is a pretty good presentation of the "every man."

Some semi-spoiler stuff below, but I doubt anyone who hasn't seen episode three is reading, anyway. We don't know why Titus saved the girl, yet. Personally, I think Titus is a good guy, typical of the "wrong side of the tracks" upbringing. He probably saved the girl because he wants to play hero, and get the girl, like a lot of childhood fantasies end (and adult ones, for that matter).

I find his character very believable.

Nope.

Anyway I thought that it was o.k.

But, I just saw Soderbergh's Solaris, so I've been down. :(

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Well, if you liked the original, or read the book, pretty crappy. That's a little vague, lets just say that the mood was a little off, and everytime the movie would reapproach it, it would quickly back off again. Make sense? No, not really.

I really didn't feel like the acting was bad or anything, and I even really liked the cinematography, but somewhere the movie loss its power that it never really had. I always assumed the point of the original movie was to "softly" rub your face in the limits of your own scope, but this film just didn't do that

I tell you what, Master & Commander is a great fli::BLAM::

I was really dissappointed when that film wasn't about the H.M.S. Pinafore, oh well

So Rome....they got.....hats......