Star Wars RPG's

Miltiades

Because RPG's fit well with Star Wars, I would like to see an RPG of the adventures Obi-Wan and Anakin between Ep I and II, and between Ep II and III. *blink to LA*

What do you think about that, or do you like to see some other Star Wars story becoming an RPG?

Whether Star Wars fits well with RPGs is a matter of opinion... Personally I don't mind, though I'd like the d20 system to be about the last one used for it ;)

Anyway, I doubt that will happen for a while. Fun as such things are, K3 is begging to be made, and there is no way LA will flood the market with yet more Star Wars RPGs that will decrease sales on the individual title.

It's more likely to happen after K3, assuming K3 brings and end and resolution to the current plot, though I'd call the odds low even then.

It's simple,I have nothing but dislike for the Star Wars franchise anymore.

I would have probably enjoyed K2 and maybe evn K1 more if they were not part of this setting.

Meh,and btw playing a well known predefined character in an CRPG isn't that good of an idea.

I very much enjoy character creation and development.

And I wouldn't like to see an RPG in this setting,ever again.

What do you mean?

Simple. When used often enough in various mediums, worlds or ideas become played out. There are certain basics you expect and which are almost always met in the exact same way. In Star Wars terms, this is a common person who grows to achieve great power (usually as a Jedi) and defeat the great evil, most commonly portrayed by a Sith, the similar but inherently less powerful group due to their dependence upon evil and its accoutrements. There will also be strange aliens and moments of great adventure in which it seems the hero can die, but never will.

Also, developers must play to such expectations, so as not to alienate the fanatical fan base, who would prompty boycott any such product, or more likely buy it and then bash it continuously, such that no similar product is ever made again. Even Kotor 2 pushed the edge with that one.

Finally, in using a franchise, there is the intrinsic obstacle of not having intellectual control over a project. They must answer to some authority who determines what is or is not proper for a given universe. This naturally stunts creativity and leads (in many cases) to mediocre products, successful in nothing more than fulfilling the demands of the creator. Take for example the majority of comic and video game movies.

To be honest, these are problems with much of the SciFi/Fantasy genre, not limited to Star Wars.

And I find it kind of funny

I find it kind of sad

The dreams in which I'm dying

Are the best I've ever had

Simple. When used often enough in various mediums, worlds or ideas become played out. There are certain basics you expect and which are almost always met in the exact same way. In Star Wars terms, this is a common person who grows to achieve great power (usually as a Jedi) and defeat the great evil, most commonly portrayed by a Sith, the similar but inherently less powerful group due to their dependence upon evil and its accoutrements. There will also be strange aliens and moments of great adventure in which it seems the hero can die, but never will.

You can replace "Star Wars", "Jedi" and "Sith" with the proper nouns from any other setting, and the paragraph doesn't lose a single ounce of validity. You know, that's "the stuff of legends". Not really exclusive to SW.

What we need is less cliched stories, not different settings.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

You can replace "Star Wars", "Jedi" and "Sith" with the proper nouns from any other setting, and the paragraph doesn't lose a single ounce of validity. You know, that's "the stuff of legends". Not really exclusive to SW.

What we need is less cliched stories, not different settings.

True enough, but therein lies the problem - stories that are not clich

And yet, GTA is a blockbuster...

So far yes, but how long before the angry mothers of America scream bloody murder?

That the sort of thing that gets things banned, closed, censored, and what not. Think of the harsh treatment of comic books in the 50s, when people like Frederic Wertham decided they had a bad influence on the youth... Think of how video was said to be the cause of violent behavior in western society in the 80s... Think of how people like Pat Pulling have villified role-playing games with little or no supporting evidence...

In Fallout 2, all children was cut from the game in many countries, because it was possible for the player to kill them, which is just sad... And it hurts broadly too, since it meant I was also blessed with on of those censored versions and had to search the net to put the kids back in.

I would wish that the world is not ruled by fear, paranoia, and hysteria, but history suggest differently :rolleyes:

Because RPG's fit well with Star Wars, I would like to see an RPG of the adventures Obi-Wan and Anakin between Ep I and II, and between Ep II and III. *blink to LA*

What do you think about  that, or do you like to see some other Star Wars story becoming an RPG?

Premade characters are a poor basis for a CRPG. No.

So far yes, but how long before the angry mothers of America scream bloody murder?

Um, they have already. Still, not many people seem to care. And in that case it was because of that "hot coffee" nonsense, not because the game had an unconventional plot.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Its strength is the actual story telling aspects but having a premade character is definitely a detractor.  It is why it is number 2 and Fallout 1 is number 1.

The story couldn't have happened unless you have a premade character. It is hard to tell a specific story without a specific character.

Premade characters = more defined stories.

Yes, but you shouldn't have it too defined.

Not necessarily.

There's nothing wrong with an intricate and well-defined story (e.g. PS:T, JE), if it allows for plenty of roleplaying opportunities. However, you are most certainly correct if one were to take the Square Enix approach - as despite having fairly tight & decent stories for the most part (albeit clich

manthing2.jpg

What do you think about  that, or do you like to see some other Star Wars story becoming an RPG?

Premade characters are a poor basis for a CRPG. No.

Okay, maybe that's not a good idea.

What I was thinking about was legends... In the SW Universe there have to be some legends. Like stories that are told throughout the Universe about a..., but never has there been something like that. Maybe those are better, because they don't ask for a sequel, because it's a legend. What do you think of that?

What I was thinking about was legends... In the SW Universe there have to be some legends. Like stories that are told throughout the Universe about a..., but never has there been something like that. Maybe those are better, because they don't ask for a sequel, because it's a legend. What do you think of that?

Legends, folklore, and similar background history of a campaign world is a remarkably underused device in most RPG stories. You'd think those were a big help, as they beg exploring, but they're very rarely used. I mean, when was the last time you heard background history trivia in a game that turned out to be just that rather than something central to the emerging plot? Almost never happens... CRPGs are in sore need of red herrings :-

Let me give an example - in my own AD&D campaign, players frequently want to get their dirty little hands on some sort of magical item they've read about. So how to do that? Well, in typical modern society fashion, they figure that they can find someone who will sell if they go to a large enough city, because the demand willl be high enough there, and so they can buy it in a magic shop. However, they can't. Magical items are supposed to be sold like consumer goods. I have magic shops, but they don't sell any of the really powerful stuff. No, if the paladin wants to find a holy avenger sword, then it's a quest in several steps, frequently beginning with a trip to the sage to learn about such an item.

You don't walk into a magic shop and say, "I'd like to look at your selection of holy avenger swords, longsword size". No, you seek out the legends until you hear about the sword "Darkbane" once wielded by the paladin hero Saint Michael against the evil Legion of Faith. Then you begin exploring that.

But, alas, it is used only so rarely... And in Star Wars it would be even more relevant, since history is far more accessible. In the post K2-age, for example, the jedi halls now lie empty, so there should be excellent opportunity to seek out information in the jedi libraries, and with all the jedi lost, there should be a lot of lost legends...

Premade characters are a poor basis for a CRPG.  No.

That is why Planescape Torment sucks so much!

So true.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

<Sarcasm>Maybe Mr Lucas should write the story for any new SW rpg game. </Sarcasm>

:ph34r:

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

It's simple,I have nothing but dislike for the Star Wars franchise anymore.

I would have probably enjoyed K2 and maybe evn K1 more if they were not part of this setting.

Meh,and btw playing a well known predefined character in an CRPG isn't that good of an idea.

I very much enjoy character creation and development.

So, you hate Star Wars, mildly dislike both KotOR 1 and 2, and you hate the Star Wars setting in general. So, since you don't even like Star Wars, how is your opinion even valid? I mean, it would be different for a Star Wars/KotOR fan to say that an RPG set in the Galactic Empire era would be a bad idea because he/she is saying that because he/she doesn't think it's a good idea, not because he/she doesn't like Star Wars at all.

I would consider myself to be a Star Wars/KotOR fan, and personally, I don't think an RPG set in the Galactic Empire Era would be a much more difficult to pull off without conflicting continuity (more so than 4,000 in the past) if it is to be original. And if it's not an orginal storyline and follows the movies, what's the point of making an RPG out of it. We've already seen the movies so we know what happens at the end. It wouldn't be a good idea because RPG's are centered around a storyline and what's the point of playing if you already know the story, beginning to end?

I don't see many Star Trek games coming out at the moment. With the movies just finished, a new TV series on the way, and some successful (and less successful) games, I think the Star Wars franchise is in need of a rest as well.

I want to see a Stargate RPG. :) And wholly original settings are always welcome, of course.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)