funny government/lawyer/judicial/political stories

Dark Moth

Indeed.

As for the McDonald's incident the coffee was indeed hotter than what was reccomended by McDonald's standard code by being 20 to 40 degrees F hotter. That particular McDonald's coffee maker/holder was malfunctioning and the owners of that particular store did nothing to fix it because it was their thinking that the coffee will cool down over time.

Well, the woman got her coffee, placed it between her legs and drove off. The coffee spelt and cause severe burns in that region. If memory served a docter stated for the plaintiff stated that if the coffee was in normal temperature range the burns would not be as severe.

I don't disagree with the lady taking McDonalds to court.  Nor do I disagree with a monetary award.  I disagree, most strenuously, with the amount she received.  She did, after all, have a hand in her own accident, carrying a cup of hot coffee between her legs.  Corporations, evil thought they are, should not be accountable for every risk the consumer takes.  So, the coffee was too hot?  Undoubtedly.  Did the lady deserve to win the lottery as a result of her own indiscretion?  Absolutely not.

The damages were actually originally higher than what was awarded, but reduced because the Jury eventually decided to cut off about 20% because they decided she was 20% culpable in the accident. How you would quantify culpability as a percentage is beyond me, but there you go.

The damages given, if I understand it, were set so as to correspond roughtly to two days worth of McDonalds' profits from coffee sales.

Also, she didn't "drive off", as someone else said. She wasn't even driving. After recieving her order, her grandson pulled the car forward, and stopped so that the woman could add milk and sugar to her coffee. She burned herself when she spilled the coffee trying to remove the lid of the cup. At this time, the car was stationary.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

This is a true story and was the First Place winner in the recent Criminal Lawyers Award Contest."

Only in America.  ^_^

Recently the border patrol stopped some mexicans and asked if they were citizens. When they said no, they were asked if they were here legally. They replied no. BP detained them, and they were set to go back to Mexico. A judge ruled that they needed to be released because the BP was profiling.

The fact that they ask that question even of people who don't look Mexican doesn't matter.

In an unrelated issue, the Mexican government says that it is the American Governments fault that people die crossing the desert to sneak into America. (w00t)

In any case I think the woman was in the right since the coffee was too hot according to McDonald's specifications.

As for mexicans crossing the border I have this particular veiw.

I think that wee need a barbwire fence or a wall of some sort to block the border. Also they need to immediately deport all illegals out of the country. Those who knowlingly employ illegals should be fined $50,000 on the first offense, $150,000 on the second offense, and $500,000 on the third and subsequent offenses.

Well, that's a relief! I thought for sure Hydrogen was locking this thread for being off topic! (his story reminds me of the way people yell at airport security for profiling Arabs) Perhaps it really is time to change the thread title. But what to? Hmm....

eh... let's erect the "freedom Wall" to represent our unity in dealing with the Mexican menace :lol:

at the sight i posted early on they have lawsuits that they checked for authenticity.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Okay, thread title is still the same, but as said in the edit in my original post, this thread is now open for any funny government/lawyer/judicial/political stories, or anything like that. (this is just so a mod doesn't come down and prune or lock the thread) :lol:

BTW, I read through the background of the McDonald's lawsuit with the two obese teenage girls, and there is some substance to it--it's interesting, but as far as I can see, unprovable when the defense is so rich and powerful. Mickey D's marketing strategy borders on indoctrination ... and it's aimed directly at children. Worldwide. It's not just a matter of will power at that point--except with the parents, who probably don't know they're not doing their kids any favors when they give in to time/whining. Mickey's food isn't that healthy (even their salads contain a significant amount of sugar); and it becomes habit if not an almost physical craving. Not to mention that school cafeterias have followed suit with their offerings, from demand and convenience and deliberate ignorance. Pack your kid's lunch, and guaranteed he or she will trade it off to some 'loser' for a plate of french fries.

Kids get and stay fat, display behavioral problems, and become diabetic, hypertensive and have gall bladder surgery in their 20's. Mickey doesn't care--it's all okay if it makes him richer. McDonald's set the stage years ago, and continues to plaster commercials throughout prime-time TV, and lure kids with 'playgrounds' and fuzzy, harmless Ronald. All the while dispensing megacalories, megafat and sodium, and subliminalizing poor nutrition. 'Happy' meal, anyone?

McDonald's isn't the only offender, but compare the lines when you drive by Wendy's, Burger King, etc., and you'll see how effective their 'marketing' is. Read their nutritional analyses--if you can get McD's to provide one with print large enough to read. If you even ask, you're treated like a *smoker* by staff and patrons alike. This is one lawsuit I wish had been given more attention and credibility, if only for the 'brainwashing' tactics. The piper will be paid ... but not by McDonald's.

Yeah, it sounds nuts. But I don't think it is all bunk.

It is all bunk. Why do people feel the need to blame mega corporations for their problems? I know why. They are faceless, and it's easier to blame someone else than yourself. It's not like anyone forces one to buy at McD or elswwhere. And, no, McD is not addictive in the truest sense. It's like saying I'm 'addicted' to the Obsidian boards just because I keep returning.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Addiction: somthing that you do so often that it gets in the way of your normal life.

or

Addiction: A chronic relapsing condition characterized by compulsive drug-seeking and abuse and by long-lasting chemical changes in the brain. Addiction is the same irrespective of whether the drug is alcohol, amphetamines, cocaine, heroin, marijuana, or nicotine. Every addictive substance induces pleasant states or relieves distress. Continued use of the addictive substance induces adaptive changes in the brain that lead to tolerance, physical dependence, uncontrollable craving and, all too often, relapse. Dependence is at such a point that stopping is very difficult and causes severe physical and mental reactions from withdrawal. The risk of addiction is in part inherited. Genetic factors, for example, account for about 40% of the risk of alcoholism. The genetic factors predisposing to addiction are not yet fully understood.

from http://www.medterms.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=10177

I somehow doubt that McDonalds would be classified as a possible addiciton.

I still can't believe that people still want to hold companies like McDonald's responsible for making people fat. What's worse is they cite advertising/targeting as a reason! I mean, come on! They're a business, not a charity! Of course they're going to pull in as many people as they can. It's not like someone's holding a gun to your head and forcing you to eat McDonald's. And what's also rediculous is that people are critisizing McDonald's for not putting 'healthier' choices on their menu. WTF? If you want healthy food, eat somewhere else! The choice is simple: if you know the food there is bad for you, don't eat there.

ya'll actually ought to read the whole story with the coffee lady. she did NOT want to sue, she only wanted mcdonald's to pay for her medical bills. the mcdonald's lawyers went to task with legal maneuvers, refusing to pay, and the whole thing ended up in court. in the end, the jury decided that what mcdonald's did after the fact was worth punishment. in the end, she got about $600k.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

I still can't believe that people still want to hold companies like McDonald's responsible for making people fat.  What's worse is they cite advertising/targeting as a reason!  I mean, come on!  They're a business, not a charity!  Of course they're going to pull in as many people as they can.  It's not like someone's holding a gun to your head and forcing you to eat McDonald's.  And what's also rediculous is that people are critisizing McDonald's for not putting 'healthier' choices on their menu.  WTF?  If you want healthy food, eat somewhere else!  The choice is simple: if you know the food there is bad for you, don't eat there.

Depends if they are deliberately targeting minors, who are not capable of making informed decisions (like their dietary intake balance).

That is wrong and should be controlled. Otherwise, eat up, America!

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

You know, the fact that McDonalds foolishly did not settle is not the point. The lady did not deserve an award of almost 3 million. I'm usually leery of second guessing the jury, particularly in criminal cases. The only criminal in this case, however, is McDonalds' legal team, who is undoubtedly criminally foolish.

Still, an award to cover the medical expenses combined with a punitive award makes sense to me. Pushing 3 million does not.

Apparently, the jury also felt that the woman in question was responsible for some of her injury, which makes sense to me. They then decided to punish McDonalds excessively for their attitude. I think that was a mistake. Personally, I

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

This is the reason video games have "this game has flashing lights, this may cause a seizure in certain people. Please don't sit too close to the screen!"

hahaha First time I saw the full disclaimer was on the F.E.A.R. demo. It's also on the Doom 3 expansion and Dungeon Siege 2.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!