funny government/lawyer/judicial/political stories

Dark Moth

Guest Fishboot
You know, the fact that McDonalds foolishly did not settle is not the point.  The lady did not deserve an award of almost 3 million.  I'm usually leery of second guessing the jury, particularly in criminal cases.  The only criminal in this case, however, is McDonalds' legal team, who is undoubtedly criminally foolish.

Still, an award to cover the medical expenses combined with a punitive award makes sense to me.  Pushing 3 million does not.

If the worst a company would ever have to pay was compensatory damages, they would routinely kill people. I have no problem at all with allowing companies to function amorally - that's their nature, but we have to inject moral imperatives into their operation if we don't want them to function as beasts slouching towards Bethlehem. Punitive means punishing - how else can you punish a big wampum business besides removing large chunks of cash from them and their investors? I don't like the "give the punitive damages to charities" idea since (besides inviting kickbacks) it disincentivies skilled trial lawyers from championing people who could not afford a good lawyer in any other case, since the trial lawyers take their fees from the award. Why are people so willing to throw away one of the only little-guy favoring systems to have survived to the present? The immense majority of the laughable nuisance suits are not merely won by the big companies but are actually thrown out by judges. If you want to talk about changing the way class-action or malpractice suits work, or instituting some kind of arbitration to determine if a suit deserves court time at all, I'd be interested, but I honestly think the "nuisance suit" meme vis-a-vis tort reform is mindless.

And as a point of fact, the lady got something like 200,000 compensatory, 400,000 punitive at the end of things, and McDonalds starting serving coffee that would give you second degree burns instead of third. That sounds like a pretty socially useful outcome to me.

McD tastes awesomeeeeeee! Some of the BEST food in the WORLD!

Go McD!

And, no, it's not fattening! If it was I'd be fat instead of skinny!

Go figure!

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I use to but then I discovered Wendy's.  :thumbsup:

Actually most fast food is crap and I stay away from them for the most part.

I tend to prefer Arby's in terms of fast food when I do eat it at all.

McD tastes awesomeeeeeee! Some of the BEST foo in the WORLD!

You are surely a mutant. No other answer serves to explain your hard-headedness, lack of reason, ability to describe McDonald's as good, and accelerated metabolism united in one organism.

And I find it kind of funny

I find it kind of sad

The dreams in which I'm dying

Are the best I've ever had

McD tastes awesomeeeeeee! Some of the BEST food in the WORLD!

Go McD!

Go figure!

I don't believe in Christianity, but this one deserves a:

OMG! Jesus Christ! >_<

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

I love McDonald's! Problem is, the stuff's bad for you, so I eat it very sparingly. Have you ever looked at a nutritional chart for McDonald's food? Some of the stuff is so fattening I can't believe it! A double quarter pounder with cheese has over 700 calories, about half of which are from fat alone. A couple of the items have over 1000 calories. Also, only seven items total on the menu have no sugar whatsoever. I think they were french fries, sausages, hash browns, McNuggets, diet coke, iced tea, and water. Yes, even the salads have sugar. :shifty:

I prefer Subway

Which is a registered trademark of the Doctors Association or somthing like that :thumbsup:

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.