Doom

Diogo Ribeiro

It mentions "Mars" and "the last ten percent of the human genome" in the cinema trailer (which looks terrible, btw) but the PC Gamer article inisists that Hell and demons are integral to the plot, even though the advertising is a little - ahh - shy in mentioning the "H" word in the US ...

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Guest Fishboot

This is the review I'm leaning on:

Kreeper at CHUD

Read that and consider whether you could enjoy the film without applying a power drill to your brain.

If there's any real appearance of a Doom-style Hell, i.e. a surreal nightmare landscape with an infernal theme, and the monsters are unequivocally identified as demons with no Resident Evil T-Virus footsie, I will die from surprise.

• 2 weeks later...

Figure I'll revive this because I just saw it... that said on with the semi rant

ok this is the only part I should put out of spoiler for now... DON'T SEE THIS IF YOU WANTED SOMTHING THAT REMOTLY FOLLOWING THE GAME!

All in all it felt more like a Resident Evil clone... The FPS part is very late in the movie, and the evil people that like to kill things are caused by genetics... there are a couple of odd things in there... like a seeming sociopath making the most sense by the end of the movie and Sarge becoming a blood thirsty follow all orders to the letter maniac at the same time. The two literally reverse rolls. Another thing is that they find a set of bones (ironically named Lucy) that are posed in the movie with Lucies baby in the crook of her arm and a hand up infront of them both... like she's shielding somthing. I wonder how the heck they figured out that she was in that position.

Despite previous rumors the movie does revolve around genetics making up the "demons". Except the cause is not the mapping of the last ten genomes... rather it is the fact that the race they found on mars was able to synthasize a 24th chromosome pair that transforms you... either into a hulking demon if your predisposed to violent behavior or some sort of psycosis (the type where you gnaw off your own hand) or into a Captain America if your a "good" person. as I said, screwy. But before you change into the hulking demon you spend time as a zombie. you know white skin, urge to eat people, that sort of thing. And the Rock ends up spending less time as a zombie and more as a superman with violent tendancies.

The weapons are almost clones of those found in doom three, with the exception of the basic popguns (the AR is more like those found in modern militaries, as are the pistols) the BFG makes an appearance, it's not quite the powerhouse it was in the game but it still melts a good sized hole in a wall.... about 6 ft diamiter. The Rock obviously gets to run with this weapon. they also keep mentioning the "ST grenades" but never acutally set one off.

The first person shooter segment looks like a first person game is always aspiring to be... Lifelike gun explosions the ability to hid behind walls and lean out without bending 90 degrees at the waist. there are several special parts that remind you of doom3... he uses a flashlight and a chainsaw as a weapon against those big dog like things (no I'm not such a geek that I know what they are called).

For those of you who liked the style of horror in the game you'll love the movie. They also have a neat little teleporter. not the giant earmuffs from Doom3, but it's a room, when activated theres a clear sphere in the middle that grabs you and literally chucks you to the destination point. They toss in a joke about failures in the system before UAC perfected it...

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

The weapons are almost clones of those found in doom three, with the exception of the basic popguns (the AR is more like those found in modern militaries, as are the pistols) the BFG makes an appearance, it's not quite the powerhouse it was in the game but it still melts a good sized hole in a wall.... about 6 ft diamiter. The Rock obviously gets to run with this weapon. they also keep mentioning the "ST grenades" but never acutally set one off.

Actually they did set off one of the ST Grenades. That would be what killed Sarge at the end.

;)

It amazes me that, despite horrid reviews, this was the #1 movie this weekend. Alternatively Serenity got stellar reviews, and didn't manage to capture the top spot. Why do we have reviewers? No one listens to them. They have no actual influence on what becomes popular, so what's the point?

Oh, they do. Except their influence was dwarfed by another, somewhat gigantic force of nature, which at the same time tenderly put to rest a human defensive mechanism called "discernment of crap".

Making a movie out of a game with no story whatsoever is a pretty idiotic idea. How anyone thought this could be a good movie is beyond me.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Its not idiotic if it makes them any money. The idea is shameless though since many games draw inspiration from films in the first place. I am able to enjoy a dumb action movie for being a dumb action movie but they seem to be everywhere these days yet another example of hollywood running out of ideas and ripping off anything to hand.

Why do you call this movie a bad Resident Evil clone, when it is clear that the movie Doom is a bad clone of Aliens II.

Нека Силата винаги бъде с теб!

I reject your reality, and substitute it with my own.

Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted.

John Lenon

This thread is a big "hey, f*** you!" to the humanity's intelligence.

571911[/snapback]

By the way the game Doom itself is not very good. Just kill, kill, kill, and uhh........kill. The Half-Lifes are much better games. (They are kill, run, hide, kill, kill, and crouch, and kill. :blink: )

I have no ideawhy Doom is giong to be a movie. Who on Earth gave that idea.

Нека Силата винаги бъде с теб!

I reject your reality, and substitute it with my own.

Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted.

John Lenon

This thread is a big "hey, f*** you!" to the humanity's intelligence.

571911[/snapback]

Why do you call this movie a bad Resident Evil clone, when it is clear that the movie Doom is a bad clone of Aliens II.

because at the end of the movie you get a lot more of the shambleing idiots who want to eat you than you get aliens...

yes they did use a single ST grenade, but you can't really tell how much damage it does... It looks like it's a freaking nuke that went off.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.