Best class/prestige class combination

I've played the game through twice now. After trying out the base classes, I found that I liked the Sentinel best and played that. On my first play through, I switched to jedi weapon master and tore the enemies apart. It was okay for war, but didn't use the Force so much (unless you used some infinte xp points, but I couldn't be bothered... much :p )

Then I decided to see the DS side of the game. I heard the Sentinel/Sith Lord combination was pretty powerful, so I tried that. I must say it was very effective. My character was really a monster in lightsaber battles, even though she didn't have a dedicated combat-oriented class, and the combination with force powers made her unstopable, especially toward the end where powers like Force Crush could waste single enemies without danger. If there were more, I went in, threw them to the ground with Force Wave, then toasted them with Force Storm a few times - end of story.

But I'm really more a light side kind of guy and don't enjoy playing DS so much... As the Restoration Team begins to finish stuff, I intend to start over, and I guess many others will do the same.

So which combinations of starting class and prestige class are you considering? I think I might go for the Sentinel/Jedi Master this time, if only to see if it's as powerful as the sentinel/sith lord combination was... Anyone think that's a good combination?

heh, I started off with the guardian/weaponmaster and went to the guardian/marauder. those were always my favorite but I never tried anything else. then I tried the sentinel/watchman and was amazed by the crazy skills. now I'm going to do a sentinel/weaponmaster build.

edit: I have to say that I always use force confusion on everybody in the trayus academy and just stay stealth and watch the fight. I never lifted a finger except for the turrets. one game I cheated otherwise I dont' think I could've done this but I used force confusion on kreia and laughed my ass off as her own lightsabers beat her up.

My vote goes to Sentinel/Weapon Master.

Sentinel gives you the skills to make the upgrades for the weapons, and a Weapon Master is just goofy strong.

That's what I'd vote for.

I think it speaks volumes for how underpowered Sith Lord and Jedi Master is when no one mentions either as part of a powerful build. :shifty:

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

The absolute best combination in my experience is Consular / Weapon Master (I suppose Consular / Marauder would work nicely too, but I'm not much into Dark Side stuff). You get the combat prowess of the Weapon Master, plus the full range of Force Focus, plus 15 levels worth of bonus powers, plus a massive base of FP to build on when you go prestige class. You also get the amazing Juyo form, which is reason enough to take Weapon Master / Marauder in any event.

Getting a +3 to both your STR and WIS ain't a bad part of that deal either.

Guardian / Watchman is my second favorite, because I love getting Sneak Attacks added onto Force Jump, not to mention being a gah-dam skill machine. Also, Watchmen get the Shien form earlier than Weapon Masters, and combining Shien with Master Critical Strike just plain rocks the casbah. (Of course, Weapon Masters get Ataru earlier and can combine that with Master Power Attack for perhaps an even greater effect).

The absolute best combination in my experience is Consular / Weapon Master (I suppose Consular / Marauder would work nicely too, but I'm not much into Dark Side stuff). You get the combat prowess of the Weapon Master, plus the full range of Force Focus, plus 15 levels worth of bonus powers, plus a massive base of FP to build on when you go prestige class. You also get the amazing Juyo form, which is reason enough to take Weapon Master / Marauder in any event.

Getting a +3 to both your STR and WIS ain't a bad part of that deal either.

Guardian / Watchman is my second favorite, because I love getting Sneak Attacks added onto Force Jump, not to mention being a gah-dam skill machine. Also, Watchmen get the Shien form earlier than Weapon Masters, and combining Shien with Master Critical Strike just plain rocks the casbah. (Of course, Weapon Masters get Ataru earlier and can combine that with Master Power Attack for perhaps an even greater effect).

Your choices of class would matter more if OB had kept the BAB progression between classes. Instead, they're all +1/level. (Sentinel was 3/4 in K1, and Consular was 1/2). Because of it, there's not really any need to play Guardian/Weapon master unless you intend to pick a bunch of feats.

Both Consular and Sentinel have enough feats to maximize one (or maybe two) of the combat special attacks. Really, I almost always use flurry. Since I can maximize that and still have loads of feats to spare with either class, it falls to my force use. If I plan on using a *lot* of force powers, I'll go Consular. Usually, however, I'll go Sentinel, because the only force discipline I ever use is Force Focus, and all three classes get it. By contrast, I use Ataru fairly frequently, as well as Niman from time to time, and Consular doesn't get either. So I normally go Sentinel.

As for prestige class, I really like the Jedi Master/Sith Lord abilities to inspire others, as well as the fact that your companions can get light/dark mastery only with those classes. Sometimes I'll go with those classes, but I find that the sneak attack/stealth ability of the Watchman is also incrediby useful, especially when combined with the "crowd control" abilities, Stasis and Insanity, among others. It's really a coin toss, but given that the endgame is mostly solo, I usually go with Watchman/Assassin.

So the short answer: Sentinel/Watchman or Sentinel/Assassin.

Wow.

Only one voice of support for my Sentinel-turned-Jedi Master or Sith Lord (I consider them the same - since they have virtually the same abilities at opposite ends of the alignment scale...).

I'm surprised - I thought the Sentinel/Sith Lord combination was so powerful, and I really can't wait to play a Sentinel/Jedi Master with Force Enlightenment and lots of force powers (with Force Storm as probably the only DS one)

Wow.

Only one voice of support for my Sentinel-turned-Jedi Master or Sith Lord (I consider them the same - since they have virtually the same abilities at opposite ends of the alignment scale...).

I'm surprised - I thought the Sentinel/Sith Lord combination was so powerful, and I really can't wait to play a Sentinel/Jedi Master with Force Enlightenment and lots of force powers (with Force Storm as probably the only DS one)

I can't recall ever even playing as a Jedi Master. I think it's because I like building a powerful lightsaber duelist. And since you can still get pretty good Force points with the rest of the classes, I never really saw the need for the Sith Lord/Jedi Master classes.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

This thread is a pretty good reminder why the end of the game sucked, it really didn't matter what you did

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

This thread is a pretty good reminder why the end of the game sucked, it really didn't matter what you did

I don't know if you can generalize it that much... Surely you should be able to finish the game no matter which combination of classes you chose. Still, you may be right that the tactics you would have to embrace should have varied more depending on your choice. For example, while the guardian/weaponmaster would need to jump in there and hack things up, that should perhaps have been impossible for a consular/jedimaster, who would have been torn to pieces and instead should have had to plan his attack with careful use of extensive force powers.

i usually go for sentinel/lord/master

i prefer sentinel because they only get a couple of feats less than a guardian, and i never really liked force jump in the first place, not to mention the fact that sentinels get lots of skill points

in my last game as a sentinel/lord, force storm was only costing 6 FP (with force potency!), and they were regenerating faster than i could use them

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

Unfortunately, yes - Obsidian mentioned the problem of it being too easy in that magazine article.

Always start with Sentinel - who needs Force Jump when you can have all those lovely skill points and dialogue options. :ermm:

Then proceed to either Weapons Master or Jedi Master, depending on whether you want to fight with sabers or force powers, but as was said, even if you choose Weapons Master you'll still end up with enough powers and FP to Force Wave everyone.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Wow.

I too am quite surprised, i have played Sentinel/Jedi Master before and thought myself as quite powerful, since it is a good mix with both FP's and feats to be gained..

I play with the opposites. Guardian/Lord/Master. I usually go DS because it allows me to barbeque without much FP needed and then If i'm going up against a single opponent (the feaking

Giant Storm beast

comes to mind) and keep them off balance so they never get in a shot.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I play with the opposites. Guardian/Lord/Master. I usually go DS because it allows me to barbeque without much FP needed and then If i'm going up against a single opponent (the feaking

Giant Storm beast

comes to mind) and keep them off balance so they never get in a shot.

The problem with tough single opponents toward the end of a DS game is Force Crush... There is just no challenge :thumbsup:

Guardian/(don't care which, at this time it doesn't really matter). Usually you get a prestige class after your first planet. Probably Guardian/Watchman if you want skills, you will still be able to lay down your enemies in one punch regardless of your choice, just get the best upgrades for your lightsaber. I say Guardian because that way it's easier in the beginning (Peragus and Telos) and you don't get 10 misses for 1 strike that actually hits something.