How about a monthly newsletter?

GhostofAnakin

And the real scoop is that FO4 is being made with Valve's Havok engine, and will be delivered in weekly instalments via Steam. :D

Source is Valve's engine.

Pandemic made the Havok toolset, which adds ragdoll physics to the game.

Source handles its own physics.

Havok is an independant company that makes middleware physics engines for games.

Source is Valve's engine. It uses Havok for physics.

Follow me on twitter - @adam_brennecke

So it is reasonable to say that Havok engine can couple with the UT3 (or is that going to be called UT2007?) or Doom 3 engines, for example?

That's pretty cool. What about licence fees? With Carmack making the Doom 3 open source, developers can use it and then theoretically plow some of the savings into licensing the Havok engine ...

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

You mean U3-engine, right? :*

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

That's pretty cool. What about licence fees? With Carmack making the Doom 3 open source, developers can use it and then theoretically plow some of the savings into licensing the Havok engine ...

I thought it was the Quake 3 engine that was going open source.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

You are correct: Quake 3 will / should be open source.

reference

Carmack is aware of the difficulties for new programmers who want to get into the business: it's a long way from staring at a blank page in a compiler to having Doom 3. What can be done? Over the past several years Carmack has done his part by releasing the source codes to his previous game engines. Which led up to a big announcement:

Sometime over the next week or so, the Quake 3 source engine will be released under the GPL license. Since Q3 is still a viable development platform, the community should learn a lot from tearing into it. Carmack notes that the Punkbuster code has been removed so he hopes that cheating won't be a huge problem.

Quakecon 2005

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

• 3 weeks later...

You know, with all these lame bloggers clogging up the internet, you'd figure someone over at Obsidian would catch up soon. Come on guys, show us your blogs!! (that sounded kinky by the way..)

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Michale Chu had a blog of some sort going for the details of his experiences at E3. His webpage had a statement to the effect of "send me a message if you'd like to get my blog." I sent a PM and never received anything. So, even when the Obz guys have blogs, they don't want to share! Ha, for all we know, the Obz gusy are a bunch of blog writing fools! On the other hand, maybe they're busy working on current projects. If that's the case, I don't if anybody gets a blog. Maybe, after NWN2 hits the shelves, we'll see an Obsidian Tuesday every week. hahahaha

Seriously, Guildmaster said he's been busy working on stuff. We haven't seen many designers here discussing things. I have a feeling there won't be a newsletter, but I'd love to be proved wrong.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Michale Chu had a blog of some sort going for the details of his experiences at E3.  His webpage had a statement to the effect of "send me a message if you'd like to get my blog."  I sent a PM and never received anything.  So, even when the Obz guys have blogs, they don't want to share!  Ha, for all we know, the Obz gusy are a bunch of blog writing fools!  On the other hand, maybe they're busy working on current projects.  If that's the case, I don't if anybody gets a blog.  Maybe, after NWN2 hits the shelves, we'll see an Obsidian Tuesday every week.  hahahaha

Seriously, Guildmaster said he's been busy working on stuff.  We haven't seen many designers here discussing things.  I have a feeling there won't be a newsletter, but I'd love to be proved wrong.

Makes sense, after all there has to be something to publish about. And OE would not want to write about things that they might be barely struggling to cope with. Publicity and attention would relate to expectations of getting to know something that is pleasantly accepting. And I think frustation is almost a commonality when problems are discussed about.

Deep from within...

Victims live a life of fantasy.

Some see salvation as an act of God, a few look within for it.

朱宣澧

• 1 year later...
It is good to see a dev post after so long.  I also searched in the members section under Developers and Moderators and Akari wasn't listed.  For a while I thought OE lost our beloved Akari.  It is nice to know you are still around.

As I said above, you don't have to give away details of the game so much, even though you are doing so on Bioware's site.  You might recap some of what is already being said there for people who don't want to go to Bioware's site.

I think many of us would like to know a bit about the design process on the whole and what it's like to work there even if you don't want to give out personal info.

(As if we didn't already know Feargie is a fan of wearing nylons!  :p  )

Again, what is the process like?  What kind of guys are you hiring?  How many people are working on PNJ?  What are the in-house D&D and LAN games like?  Does MCA sleep with an inflatable Mira doll?

These are the burning questions we must know!

Edit: On project speculation, MCA has ALWAYS said they don't want to grow too much or do more than 2 projects at once.  I imagine the only way they would want to violate the small family feel of the company would be to do KOTOR:3 and finish what they started.

Yeah, still around. Can't get rid of me that easily!

I don't read the NWN2 forums on the Bioware site myself, so I'm not sure what's been said there either. :)

In-house D&D games I don't participate in, so I don't know. The 'aftermath' stories sound amusing though. The LAN games consist of Battlefield 2 these last couple months, our first new game since we got hooked on UT2k4 last summer.

Project NJ is mostly hiring senior developers at this point. That project is still ramping up to full swing.

I'm not allowed to comment on inflatable Mira dolls. :(

As far as KotOR3 speculations go, I can say with the utmost confidence that no one is working on KotOR3 at this time.

Here's a token cat icon :brows:, since I don't think this exceptional emoticon sees nearly enough use.

-Akari

*meta casts high level necropost spell: Summon Akari*

So any news on PNJ, now that PG is known to be the Alien RPG for SEGA? :-"

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

It would be nice to know how many projects do you actually have Obsidian. :)

So do they have two projects being created for sega ?

Is the rumor about another D&D game created by Obs. which is not expansion pack to nwn2 true? (spotted at codex).

etc etc

there are so many questions. :(

If they are working on Project Hawaii now, I would be worried.

Murphy's Law of Computer Gaming: The listed minimum specifications written on the box by the publisher are not the minimum specifications of the game set by the developer.

@\NightandtheShape/@ - "Because you're a bizzare strange deranged human?"

Walsingham- "Sand - always rushing around, stirring up apathy."

Joseph Bulock - "Another headache, courtesy of Sand"

It would be nice to know how many projects do you actually have Obsidian. :p

So do they have two projects being created for sega ?

Is the rumor about another D&D game created by Obs. which is not expansion pack to nwn2  true? (spotted at codex).

etc etc

there are so many questions. :lol:

Yeah there was some confusion before on whether or not they were working on 2 or 3 projects with no clarification, so it would be nice to find out.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg