How about a monthly newsletter?

GhostofAnakin

Just like BioWare has their "BioWare Wednesdays", or other various sites have their monthly newsletters, what about Obsidian either posting a once-a-month update on current/future projects or anything they deem interesting, or mailing them out in a newsletter for anyone who signed up to receive newsletters by email?

At the very least it would keep the fans updated once a month or so on what's going on with Obsidian and make it seem like Obsidian's still in touch with it's fanbase.

Good or bad idea? :geek:

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I think it is a great idea.

Right now it would mainly be NWN:2 news, but I'm fine with that.

I also wouldn't mind know who is being hired, etc. On that subject is Akari still around? I was looking at the dev section looking to see if I could spot new hires for PNJ and I didn't see Akari in the moderator or developer group.

It would be really good, especially once PNJ is properly announced and they have two projects to talk about.

It would also be good publicity, because I think sites like GameBanshee put the publication of new Bioware letters up as news, so it might increase awareness of Obsidian's projects.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I just figure one of the recent complaints on this site is that Obsidian seems to be absent from posting like they did during the early stages of KOTOR II development. This way they didn't even have to post on here, since we'd be getting a monthly update anyways.

It'd also cut down on the "what other projects does Obsidian have lined up" questions popping up, as well as the "how far along in production are they on [insert game title]" threads.

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

If said nesletter would actually contain information, and not the usual vague hints that is the usual OE modus operandi, then I might be interested.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I have to agree with Authority.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I'm not sure that there really is enough to talk about to have a monthly newsletter. I like it when there is more to a newsletter than nice graphics to keep the excitement up about a game - but little content about the game itself. (Most of the gaming newsletters I get I feel are more junkmail than anything else, but I get them incase there is something I want to see).

Maybe when they get a large enough staff going where there are multiple games announced in production at any given time.

Right now, I'm happy just reading the stuff on the front page, and being on these boards to see what is going on and what is being speculated on.

Right now, I'm happy just reading the stuff on the front page, and being on these boards to see what is going on and what is being speculated on.

But that's just it. There's no real Obsidian annoucenments on this board. In fact, most of the interviews, announcements, etc. are on other sites and then posted on here with a link.

A monthly newsletter could contain said interviews or announcements so Obsidian fans get this news first, not after every other site on the net, which seems to be the case right now.

I think I suggested this a long while ago and received no response. Unfortunately, I see the same fate for this thread.

We'll see who's more important to Obsidian, me or you. :D

*sends mass PMs to the Obsidian devs to make sure they read this thread* :-"

Having had to produce a a regular marketing newsletter, I know what a pain they can be (especially when there is no news); as much as I would love to get regular, meaningful updates I would want them to be both regular AND meaningful, but I would prefer meaningful to regular, if that were the choice I had to make.

What I mean is, maybe the OE decision-makers would be more obliged to create a newsletter if it didn't have to be monthly; just whenever there is some news to put out.

Having said that, I am subscribed to quite a few newsletters, e.g. including Valve and Steam, which I think have got it right (weekly). Last week, the update was:

"... Lost Coast, Day of Defeat and Aftermath are in the final phases of development and being polished for release ..."; they would need to be bold enough to say "still working on it, sorry not finished".

They would be acutely aware of wasted effort in the costs incurred to create a failed newsletter. Ones that don't get it right are very quickly unsubscribed: I think I had Atari sending me some garbage at one stage, but it was so market-hype-speak and irrelevant to me personally (as a gamer) that I immediately nixxed it.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

They might just tell you to check the Obsidian front page. I dunno.

Bioware does Bioware Wednesdays because of new information/mods for NWN. Maybe Obsidian will do the same, although they might just manage to get Bioware to do the heavy lifting on the Bioware fora. It makes sense, since the NWN2 board is there.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

That is a good point.

I guess you have to establish what you want to hear, and how often you want to hear it.

Current Projects, and Status Updates is all well and good, but the most efficient way to disseminate such information is on a website for us (the ausidnece) to pull down.

Still, a reminder sent every time it is updated might be a nice additional service ...

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Just like BioWare has their "BioWare Wednesdays", or other various sites have their monthly newsletters, what about Obsidian either posting a once-a-month update on current/future projects or anything they deem interesting, or mailing them out in a newsletter for anyone who signed up to receive newsletters by email?

At the very least it would keep the fans updated once a month or so on what's going on with Obsidian and make it seem like Obsidian's still in touch with it's fanbase.

Good or bad idea?  :ermm:

Or answer some fan's questions.

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

Obsidian seems to have tons of new hires.  Just getting to know the team, and what the development process is like would be good info even if they can't give us tons of info on the projects themselves.

Or they can have some devs tell us how they got where they are. I'm somewhat tired of Chris A. telling me the same story over and over.

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

The problem is that there just isn't a lot to say at this point. The restrictions on what we can share about NWN:2 haven't losened up yet, though I think that will be changing in the not too distant future and we'll be able to discuss things in a little more detail. Though, NWN2 chat generally takes place over on the Bioware hosted forum, so that might not help here much.

And other than NWN:2, we can't really disclose anything at all about our other project (projects?:-).

There a lot of new hires here, but not everyone likes talking about themselves much either. That's why we always have Chris A. do all the talking-about-himself for all of us. :(

-Akari

So Akari, tell us about yourself. Wife? Kids? Pets? Weird fetishes that keep the rest of the guys in the office ten feet away from you at all times?

What's your favorite game? Who is your favorite co-worker? What's Feargus really like as a boss (he hasn't checked the forum in ages, feel free to give your honest take :D )?

I take it, then, that Chris A. likes to talk about himself? Who is Chris A., anyhow? :D

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

And other than NWN:2, we can't really disclose anything at all about our other project (projects?:-).

-Akari

I wonder how much speculation this could cause if seen by the wrong people (ie. Bastila Skywalker). :ph34r:

I wonder how much speculation this could cause if seen by the wrong people (ie. Bastila Skywalker).  :ph34r:

I wonder what it is...as PNJ seems to have a lead already, they're still advertising for a Senior Producer/Project lead and Mr. Sawyer has just joined, with the promise of leading future projects.

I guess we'll look forward to newsletters when the curtains are raised on NWN2. :( It would be great if Obsidian could post them in this forum as well; I don't want to have to go trekking all the way over to Bioware for this. It's such a pain.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I'm tempting to say KOTOR 3, but then I might find this thread linked all over the internet by Bastila Skywalker as proof of K3's development. :("