KotoR 3: Ideas and Suggestions

You, and this dimmy52 person, seem to have a poor grip on the requirements of administration. You cannot go galavanting around Sith ruins AND be an effective administrator.

You must CHOOSE. And not to choose means DEATH! APATHY IS DEATH!!

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

well that's why you get the power of delegation... part of K3 could be admin. you have to administrate the place effectivly so it can run without you, and you could get called back at any time to deal with a crisis.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

We don't want KOTOR III turning into some Sim City or Command & Conquer game.

We should have several endings to the game and have hundreds of ways to get there

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.

We don't want KOTOR III turning into some Sim City or Command & Conquer game.

We should have several endings to the game and have hundreds of ways to get there

It' wouldn't be command and conquer or Sim city. It'd just be sending off sombody who's got the right skills to do somthing. Besides what I suggested would actually add depth to the game.

So, I've been reading through the thread....some fascinating ideas and a couple bizarre mini-flamewars. I like the SIMs, but wouldn't want that for KOTOR. Totally different game. KOTOR's not a shooter or a SIM (all that discussion about chopping off limbs - just a little creepy, guys). meta's right - KOTOR's an RPG/Strategy adventure and should be kept that way.

Getting back to K3 speculation/ideas...my vote for K3 would be:

1. I agree with several posters about having Revan make a life-ending sacrifice that has consequences for the PC (and galaxy) in K3. It's more dramatically sound and resolves the technical problems on how to incorporate Revan in K3. This is a real emotional sacrifice for me because I got really attached to my Revan and was pretting ticked off with K2 sending her off to the void. But I'd be willing to give her up for a storyline with integrity. And if you are someone who invested in the Carth-Revan romance, bring him back in K3 and let him mourn a bit. It'd be cathartic for the players who felt shafted. (Since Bastila bit the big one, I guess the Bastila-Revan fans will remain shafted.)

2. Sadly, I think the Exile is pretty irrelevant, so shouldn't show up at all in K3 (if there is one). Several other posters mentioned K2's story felt like it really was all about Revan. I agree. Ultimately, Exile's story was just exposition to explain the "True Sith"/Greater Threat backstory and prep for the final installment of K3. Intentionally done or not by Obsidian/LA. Bummer.

3. Keep Mandalore, HK-47 and the other droid as NPCs. They're flexible enough and there's no reference to them dying in K1 or K2, so no plot problems. And lots more room for new NPCs.

4. Someone mentioned having "average jedi (AJ)" being run-of-the-mill until forced into greatness by the exigencies of the situation. Then AJ determines the outcome of Revan's sacrifice/the galaxy. I think that's a great idea! :thumbsup: That allows the creators and players LOTS more manipulation of the story. And you can have your Rakata jedi if you want, pick your chartreuse saber colors, whatever floats your boat.

5. Ditch Tatoonie, Datoonie, etc. Been there, done that. Time to move on... beyond the outer rim, please. Let's get into the unknown and try something a little different. Do we really need actual planets for every stop anyway? Anybody remember Cloud City from ESB? The asteroid from K2 was a more novel alternative to a planet, even if was a little boring to play. Creativity, where art thou?

6. Finish the all the story threads!!!!!!!!!! (Frickin' K2 cuts, grumble, grumble...) :thumbsup:

7a. K2 provided lots of characters with great angst and potential emotional/relational complications and K1 really allowed the PC to get fully interactional with everyone - after all, isn't that how we all fell in love with HK-47? Include BOTH elements!! It could figure in the mentor and DS/LS choice issues. Conflicted character(s) and the tragic/dramatic death of the PC's mentor about 1/2 through the game could provide a great defining emotional and pivotal plot moment for not only the PC but for some of the NPCs as well (impacting the NPCs DS/LS choices & PC influence, for instance). So, you could potentially have an outside event throw a real curveball at your interaction with NPCs, thus, spurring you on (hopefully) to renewed fervor in whatever influence pursuit with them you were making. Much more interesting.

7b. Killing off the mentor around 1/2 way into the game also allows 1/2 the game for PC to level up with a mentor, graduate to whaever class, and then be the point that could provide the reckoning for future DS/LS directional choices. Doesn't matter if it's a Kreia-like annoying mentor, Mical-like sappy mentor, or Jolee Bindo "the grey jedi" grump - any would provide an emotional "oomph." And, it is in keeping with SW story ideology. I think asking for your choice of mentors might be too much storywriting, but maybe if you could choose just between two and the guy/gal gets killed off halfway, thus, ending that - maybe that'd be technically feasible?

8. Absolutely have to have romance options for those who want them! And, yeah, I'd wouldn't mind if they didn't fade to black for at least one worthwhile kiss.

9. Re "true Sith": You know, that's really more a philosophy. If you dig into what Kreia was saying and someone else tried to explain several months back, the issue is socio-political. I'm not a war strategist, but my observation is if you want to bring down a big country/empire, you wait until it starts to crrupt from within and then manipulate and exploit the factions that develop, corrupting them further until there is no organized infrastructure (wasn't this GOTO's fear and the allusions by Kreia & Disciple?) to hold it together. So, the "true sith" don't have to be actual Sith-the-race OR Sith-the-DS-Jedi. They could be anyone who desires chaos, anarchy and annihilation like Nihilius, just devouring all life. Or, they could just be into domination/subjugation of other cultures like the Rakata were. So, that'd give the writers more freedom to make the external enemy non-force OR force-sensitive. (I'd vote for some force use, though)

And...this is WAY too long. :">

One last thought: I'd vote for LESS item construction options. I got a headache trying to figure out what to do with all that inventory at the various lab/bio/whatever work stations.

Kudos to anyone who bothered to read all the way through this. Yur a :shifty:! Sorry so long.

No I didn't mean to sit around and administer the acadmy/temple/enclave/whatever.

What I meant to say was, make it part of the main quest, where instead of like in K2 where you got Mira if you are light or Hunharr if you are dark, you become enrolled in either a sith or Jedi academy, and through there you do some missions that gain prestige such as K1 or something similar in regards to light-siders, and eventually you have an option to take over and become the leader of the academy.

Perhaps the only way to gain a prestige class is to do this, or maybe other benefits can be reaped from accomplishing the objective.

Anyway, I realized that yes, my first suggestion did seem Sim-ish :">

Cheers, Dimmy52

PS. Calax, your suggestions are actually pretty cool :thumbsup:

Responses in bold text

So, I've been reading through the thread....some fascinating ideas and a couple bizarre mini-flamewars.  I like the SIMs, but wouldn't want that for KOTOR. Totally different game. KOTOR's not a shooter or a SIM (all that discussion about chopping off limbs - just a little creepy, guys). meta's right - KOTOR's an RPG/Strategy adventure and should be kept that way.

Getting back to K3 speculation/ideas...my vote for K3 would be:

1.  I agree with several posters about having Revan make a life-ending sacrifice that has consequences for the PC (and galaxy) in K3. It's more dramatically sound and resolves the technical problems on how to incorporate Revan in K3. This is a real emotional sacrifice for me because I got really attached to my Revan and was pretting ticked off with K2 sending her off to the void. But I'd be willing to give her up for a storyline with integrity. And if you are someone who invested in the Carth-Revan romance, bring him back in K3 and let him mourn a bit. It'd be cathartic for the players who felt shafted. (Since Bastila bit the big one, I guess the Bastila-Revan fans will remain shafted.)

See reply #2

2.  Sadly, I think the Exile is pretty irrelevant, so shouldn't show up at all in K3 (if there is one).  Several other posters mentioned K2's story felt like it really was all about Revan. I agree. Ultimately, Exile's story was just exposition to explain the "True Sith"/Greater Threat backstory and prep for the final installment of K3. Intentionally done or not by Obsidian/LA. Bummer.

I think the Exile should come back for III because she was left off at a cliffhanger. I think she should find Revan in the Unknown Regions where (tying into #1) the two have a lightsaber duel in which Revan gets beat to where he's almost dead. (Assuming LSF is canon in II) The Exile tries to spare Revan's life, who then sacrifices himself, and sets off consequences for the entire game (perhaps the Exile can make use of the Nihilus mask here [and answer more speculation on whether or not Nihilus is the Exile's other half] and fall to the DS)

3. Keep Mandalore, HK-47 and the other droid as NPCs. They're flexible enough and there's no reference to them dying in K1 or K2, so no plot problems. And lots more room for new NPCs.

HK-47 yes. T3-M4 maybe. Mandalore, he should be a mention only, as he can run off to chase his dream of reuniting the Mandalorians. The only other recurring characters I wouldn't mind seeing would be Mical and Atris (again assuming LSF is canon [Handmaiden prolly would be like the rest of the Handmaidens] and Atris was spared at Telos) in the halls of the Jedi Council

4. Someone mentioned having "average jedi (AJ)" being run-of-the-mill until forced into greatness by the exigencies of the situation. Then AJ determines the outcome of Revan's sacrifice/the galaxy. I think that's a great idea!  :rolleyes:  That allows the creators and players LOTS more manipulation of the story. And you can have your Rakata jedi if you want, pick your chartreuse saber colors, whatever floats your boat.

Perhaps this average jedi can be the Exile's true Padawan

5. Ditch Tatoonie, Datoonie, etc. Been there, done that.  Time to move on... beyond the outer rim, please. Let's get into the unknown and try something a little different. Do we really need actual planets for every stop anyway? Anybody remember Cloud City from ESB? The asteroid from K2 was a more novel alternative to a planet, even if was a little boring to play. Creativity, where art thou?

Dantooine should be in if it pertains to the Jedi Academy there. Tatooine, yes. It's the most overused planet in SW. Coruscant would be nice to visit and perhaps the game could go to Naboo where the planet is slowly being colonized at this time.

6. Finish the all the story threads!!!!!!!!!! (Frickin' K2 cuts, grumble, grumble...)  :thumbsup:

Agreed 100%

7a. K2 provided lots of characters with great angst and potential emotional/relational complications and K1 really allowed the PC to get fully interactional with everyone - after all, isn't that how we all fell in love with HK-47? Include BOTH elements!!  It could figure in the mentor and DS/LS choice issues. Conflicted character(s) and the tragic/dramatic death of the PC's mentor about 1/2 through the game could provide a great defining emotional and pivotal plot moment for not only the PC but for some of the NPCs as well (impacting the NPCs DS/LS choices & PC influence, for instance). So, you could potentially have an outside event throw a real curveball at your interaction with NPCs, thus, spurring you on (hopefully) to renewed fervor in whatever influence pursuit with them you were making. Much more interesting.

7b. Killing off the mentor around 1/2 way into the game also allows 1/2 the game for PC to level up with a mentor, graduate to whaever class, and then be the point that could provide the reckoning for future DS/LS directional choices.  Doesn't matter if it's a Kreia-like annoying mentor, Mical-like sappy mentor, or Jolee Bindo "the grey jedi" grump - any would provide an emotional "oomph."  And, it is in keeping with SW story ideology. I think asking for your choice of mentors might be too much storywriting, but maybe if you could choose just between two and the guy/gal gets killed off halfway, thus, ending that - maybe that'd be technically feasible?

A- I'd like to see a well developed love story in III, maybe have a little sucking face? Also, seeing some emotional and pivotal moments that are critical to the storyline can develop it further and can make the influence system that more important to the game.

B- DS, yes. LS, no. If I'm LS, I don't wanna kill my LS mentor unless I have to.

8. Absolutely have to have romance options for those who want them! And, yeah, I'd wouldn't mind if they didn't fade to black for at least one worthwhile kiss.

Mentioned in 7A

9. Re "true Sith": You know, that's really more a philosophy. If you dig into what Kreia was saying and someone else tried to explain several months back, the issue is socio-political. I'm not a war strategist, but my observation is if you want to bring down a big country/empire, you wait until it starts to crrupt from within and then manipulate and exploit the factions that develop, corrupting them further until there is no organized infrastructure (wasn't this GOTO's fear and the allusions by Kreia & Disciple?) to hold it together. So, the "true sith" don't have to be actual Sith-the-race OR Sith-the-DS-Jedi. They could be anyone who desires chaos, anarchy and annihilation like Nihilius, just devouring all life. Or, they could just be into domination/subjugation of other cultures like the Rakata were. So, that'd give the writers more freedom to make the external enemy non-force OR force-sensitive. (I'd vote for some force use, though) 

The True Sith then are simply Sith who follow the Sith belief strictly, as opposed to DS Jedi who have the green eyes and pale cragged skin

And...this is WAY too long.  :">

One last thought: I'd vote for LESS item construction options. I got a headache trying to figure out what to do with all that inventory at the various lab/bio/whatever work stations.

Kudos to anyone who bothered to read all the way through this. Yur a  :lol:!  Sorry so long.

DAWUSS

Dawes ain't too bright. Hitting rock bottom is when you leave 2 tickets on the dash of your car, leave it unlocked hoping someone will steal them & when you come back, there are 4 tickets on your dashboard.

1.  I agree with several posters about having Revan make a life-ending sacrifice that has consequences for the PC (and galaxy) in K3. It's more dramatically sound and resolves the technical problems on how to incorporate Revan in K3. This is a real emotional sacrifice for me because I got really attached to my Revan and was pretting ticked off with K2 sending her off to the void. But I'd be willing to give her up for a storyline with integrity. And if you are someone who invested in the Carth-Revan romance, bring him back in K3 and let him mourn a bit. It'd be cathartic for the players who felt shafted. (Since Bastila bit the big one, I guess the Bastila-Revan fans will remain shafted.)

2.  Sadly, I think the Exile is pretty irrelevant, so shouldn't show up at all in K3 (if there is one).  Several other posters mentioned K2's story felt like it really was all about Revan. I agree. Ultimately, Exile's story was just exposition to explain the "True Sith"/Greater Threat backstory and prep for the final installment of K3. Intentionally done or not by Obsidian/LA. Bummer.

I'm a little more gnarled and grisled by cynicism, so I think the motive was even more edpedient than that; nevertheless, you make a good point that the result of K2's narrative leaning makes both stories about Revan. So that means any sequel must continue a story about Revan.

This does not preclude Revan dying early (or later) on in a sequel, however. It merely means that the whole KotOR game series is based on Revan; so much so that this (first) series could have been subtitled "The Rise and Fall of Revan", or similar.

Revan is far too powerful to be the protagonist, given the same game engine and environment, without some sort of amnesiac penalty (not again!), though. So either:

• change the game mechanics, so that epic characters are possible without over-balancing (maybe change from d20 to d100 or even d1000, to give greater granularity for bonuses and penalties), or

• use Revan as a focus for the story, but concentrate this sequel's story on the trials and tribulations of our average "Jo Jedi", as Revan's master strategem is concluded, or

• both.

I don't mind who is in or out, my only stipulation would be have a point. Don't just keep a character for sentimental reasons, actually have their own side quest or something interesting to investigate (even if it is not directly about them).

5. Ditch Tatoonie, Datoonie, etc. Been there, done that.  Time to move on... beyond the outer rim, please. Let's get into the unknown and try something a little different. Do we really need actual planets for every stop anyway? Anybody remember Cloud City from ESB? The asteroid from K2 was a more novel alternative to a planet, even if was a little boring to play. Creativity, where art thou?

I don't care if the game is set beyond the Outer Rim or not. I care if the story being told is interesting or not. I don't mind any of the planets, so long as there is a point. I liked the K1 theme of extreme planet climate and environments, for example. I also liked Pergasus, although I would say it was a little too linear with no chance to skip parts of it for return players.

6. Finish the all the story threads!!!!!!!!!! (Frickin' K2 cuts, grumble, grumble...)  ;)

I am empathetic with developers after reading Greg Costikyan's article in the Escapist, but really, I think good writing is the starting point for a game, not a luxury to be added in there is time at the end.

7a. K2 provided lots of characters with great angst and potential emotional/relational complications and K1 really allowed the PC to get fully interactional with everyone - after all, isn't that how we all fell in love with HK-47? Include BOTH elements!!  It could figure in the mentor and DS/LS choice issues. Conflicted character(s) and the tragic/dramatic death of the PC's mentor about 1/2 through the game could provide a great defining emotional and pivotal plot moment for not only the PC but for some of the NPCs as well (impacting the NPCs DS/LS choices & PC influence, for instance). So, you could potentially have an outside event throw a real curveball at your interaction with NPCs, thus, spurring you on (hopefully) to renewed fervor in whatever influence pursuit with them you were making. Much more interesting.

7b. Killing off the mentor around 1/2 way into the game also allows 1/2 the game for PC to level up with a mentor, graduate to whaever class, and then be the point that could provide the reckoning for future DS/LS directional choices.  Doesn't matter if it's a Kreia-like annoying mentor, Mical-like sappy mentor, or Jolee Bindo "the grey jedi" grump - any would provide an emotional "oomph."  And, it is in keeping with SW story ideology. I think asking for your choice of mentors might be too much storywriting, but maybe if you could choose just between two and the guy/gal gets killed off halfway, thus, ending that - maybe that'd be technically feasible?

Yep, the death of a character close to the story / PC is a good hook for a story. But it needs to be done correctly, otherwise it means nothing more than killing the seventh Rakghoul. We have to care about the character, so we have to know all about them. It doesn't need to be an ironic death, either (y'know the type: afraid of the water and eaten by a shark, or whatever), but it should be in order to save the PC so that the PC can go on and avenge the death (DS) make the universe a nicer place for happy people (LS).

9. Re "true Sith": You know, that's really more a philosophy. If you dig into what Kreia was saying and someone else tried to explain several months back, the issue is socio-political. I'm not a war strategist, but my observation is if you want to bring down a big country/empire, you wait until it starts to corrupt from within and then manipulate and exploit the factions that develop, corrupting them further until there is no organized infrastructure (wasn't this GOTO's fear and the allusions by Kreia & Disciple?) to hold it together. So, the "true sith" don't have to be actual Sith-the-race OR Sith-the-DS-Jedi. They could be anyone who desires chaos, anarchy and annihilation like Nihilius, just devouring all life. Or, they could just be into domination/subjugation of other cultures like the Rakata were. So, that'd give the writers more freedom to make the external enemy non-force OR force-sensitive. (I'd vote for some force use, though).

Ah, but the point of a fantasy space opera, like the SW galaxy, is that ethereal notions (like "goodness" and "evilness") are made tangible (magic, like "the Force" and health packs, for that matter).

:)

Well, the basic problem is the lack of bredth and depth for characters, seen primarily in the creation, but also in the imago phase. It is a dumbed-down D&D setting, with simplified characters and a woefully inept mechanical system for controlling the game.

I'd be happy to see a different engine, but that doesn't fix the lack of distinction between divine and arcane schools of magic (i.e. clerics and magic users); Jedi / Sith are basically Paladin / Blackguard, and there is no place for a rogue and barely space for a fighter.

The Anti-Force Force would be made up of anti-magic fighters, possibly a rogue class as well, all out to stop the Force. Who knows, maybe there might even be magic users, who tap into some other non-Force power ...

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

If they did make Revan one of the central characters and a protagonist I would think that they would have him in more an advisory roll rather than an actual combat role, ie he's the guy who sits in your ship the entire time telling you "do this, don't do that." or he would be back on some planet helping you from a distance.

The main character could be somthing like Cloud from FF7

a basic soldier who got majorly screwed up and took sombody elses memories as his own.

I'm 100% against killing Revan, as you all know by now. :o And not just because I liked his character, either. Killing him/her off would be the lazy way out, I think. They could write around it, though it might prove difficult, especially if they try to incorporate both the LS and DS aspects of Revan's character into the game. But oh, it can be done. If K2 didn't have so much focus on Revan, LA might not have such a big problem with continuity. Way to dig a hole for yourselves, guys. :wub: Also, no Mandalore/Canderous in K3, either (at least as a party member). And also, please improve HK-47's character. I loved him in K1, hated him in K2. He just wasn't funny.

Hey everyone, thanks for responding to my novel...er, post... :o

I understand wanting to wrap up the Exile story and everyone's attachment to Revan, but we don't actually need to have either of them as a PC/NPC. It wouldn't even require selecting their alignments - an external threat could negate the importance of the prior characters alignment(s) because the common goal is to eliminate the threat. The story of what happens to Exile and Revan could unfold in dialogue revealed as part of your character(s) adventures in a way that makes them heroic (for good or evil)....

Um....I basically agree with everything Metadigital said. Wus, your story ideas are great, but I don't think they're practicable on a game formatted for Xbox use. Mothman, get over Revan. I had to, too. Took a good cry and several weeks on prozac. (jk)

As for killing off the mentor - I wasn't thinking the gamer's main character would necessarily be the killer. If you have an emotional connection to someone and they die in a manner where you think you might've been able to save them and didn't (a LS option) or you purposefully chose not to save them (a DS option) - well, that leaves room for all kinds of dramatic repurcussions for both the PC and all the NPCs. That's what I think should happen. Because wasn't the inability to control events happening to the people they cared about most at the heart of the DS temptations that faced Anakin and Luke?

Which would mean the Mentor-PC relationship would need to be well-written and planned-out, as you pointed out, Meta. So, here's to hoping for decent writing. :wub: If (big "if" I suspect) K3 gets made and Obsidian makes it, the death scene written for Atton alone proves they have great writers and could probably pull that part off. If they have the time to do the job right...(or does that now go without saying?)

Anyway, I guess what I want is a fulfillment of the potential promised for K2.

I'm 100% against killing Revan, as you all know by now.  :)  And not just because I liked his character, either.  Killing him/her off would be the lazy way out, I think.  They could write around it, though it might prove difficult, especially if they try to incorporate both the LS and DS aspects of Revan's character into the game.  But oh, it can be done.  If K2 didn't have so much focus on Revan, LA might not have such a big problem with continuity.  Way to dig a hole for yourselves, guys.  :devil:  Also, no Mandalore/Canderous in K3, either (at least as a party member).  And also, please improve HK-47's character.  I loved him in K1, hated him in K2.  He just wasn't funny.

Revan's dead, Moths. :shifty:

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I'm 100% against killing Revan, as you all know by now.  :)  And not just because I liked his character, either.  Killing him/her off would be the lazy way out, I think.  They could write around it, though it might prove difficult, especially if they try to incorporate both the LS and DS aspects of Revan's character into the game.  But oh, it can be done.  If K2 didn't have so much focus on Revan, LA might not have such a big problem with continuity.  Way to dig a hole for yourselves, guys.  :devil:  Also, no Mandalore/Canderous in K3, either (at least as a party member).  And also, please improve HK-47's character.  I loved him in K1, hated him in K2.  He just wasn't funny.

Revan's dead, Moths. :shifty:

Afraid you're wrong there old timer. Try again. :)

If Revan's dead when KOTOR III begins it'd be like Anakin dying in the Clone Wars... :-"

DAWUSS

Revan dies a hero. Would make the Revan fans happy, but then piss off everyone who wanted to see Revan and Bastila

have sex

DAWUSS

^^^ There is nothing wrong with hot, sweaty relations, even in the pixelated world. ;)" And I think killing him would only piss off the fans, regardless.

Revan lives! Oh, he does! And he'll be making a kickass comeback in K3!

I don't see why everyone thinks Revan has to make some "heroic sacrifice". They could just do it this way: If Revan is LS, he helps the Republic and rebuilds the Jedi order. If he is DS, then he is the Lord of the "True Sith". I wouldn't be surprised, though, if they just went with the Canonical "LS" Revan and exile for K3 to simplify things.

Yes, I can see LA incorporating some adult themes into their game in order to minimise the target audience as it wins a more restrictive rating. ;)

Revan's dead. It's easier that way, so it's as good as done. :lol:

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT