Doom 3

Bokishi

The only thing I don't like about my ATI card is that it's a Microsoft slave (DirectX optimized). I wish ATI would concentrate on the OpenGL API.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Why?

DirectX is becoming more and more popular and more and more powerful.  Even John Carmack has expressed interest in DirectX in recent years.

Because it is OS dependant.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

And yet 90% of games are optimized for nVidia because up until recently, they had a much larger pull with devs than ATi, regardless of performance. 

I guess you're just not used to it sucking for you? 

And actually, the stuttering you're describing is a bug, has to do with the loading of the textures/sounds.  I can dig up some fixes that will alleviate it quite a bit, especially if your machine has a large amount of RAM.  I used them to make Half Life 2 purr like a kitten on my rig.

Query: Do these patches make a difference to those of us who do not have performance issues? I have 1GB of RAM and a Radeon Fire Mobility T2 with 128MB VRAM (I think that's equivalent to a 9700), and I never noticed any stuttering.

Would it make my installation even more TEH R0Xx0rRRzZZ1Z ?

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Right now, I'm kicking myself cause I got Doom 3 for PC but then found out I had the wrong kind of platform (ME, it only works on XP)  :lol:  Yeah, I know, I know.  And now I can't play it.  Guess I'll have to sell it and get it for X-Box.  :D

... Or upgrade your OS ...

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I think Half-Life 2 is a very RAM intensive game.

I know my roommate and a friend of ours have the exact same computer, barring RAM (my roommate only has 512 MB compared to 1 GB), and Half-Life 2 seems to run a lot better on our friend's machine.

Guest Fishboot
That's because it was basically a new engine and the same game, which I didn't like the first time.

That's just silly if you're saying Doom 3 is the same game as Doom 1/2. They play nothing alike - Doom 1/2 are extremely fast, storyless, chaotic action games and Doom 3 is a straight up visceral horror game with a sprinkle of HL-type story. They couldn't feel more different.

Quake means multiplayer to me, which I'm only casually interested in. I spent my gaming time in the early-mid 90's getting good at fighting games instead of practicing aiming and now I'm a permanent newbie in online play. :-

That's because it was basically a new engine and the same game, which I didn't like the first time.

That's just silly if you're saying Doom 3 is the same game as Doom 1/2. They play nothing alike - Doom 1/2 are extremely fast, storyless, chaotic action games and Doom 3 is a straight up visceral horror game with a sprinkle of HL-type story. They couldn't feel more different.

When I say "same game" I mean "same story". Mutants from Hell, kill 'em all. The same spawn. :-

Quake means multiplayer to me, which I'm only casually interested in. I spent my gaming time in the early-mid 90's getting good at fighting games instead of practicing aiming and now I'm a permanent newbie in online play. :)

Quake 2 was single player. Quake 3 was MP. :-

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Wuss.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

"When I say 'same game' I mean 'same story'. Mutants from Hell, kill 'em all. The same spawn."

Well, that's just completely and utterly stupid. Hell, it's pretty much even wrong, considering that in previous Dooms the story might as well not been there.

9/30 -- NEVER FORGET!

"When I say 'same game' I mean 'same story'. Mutants from Hell, kill 'em all. The same spawn."

Well, that's just completely and utterly stupid. Hell, it's pretty much even wrong, considering that in previous Dooms the story might as well not been there.

... Whereas the story of Doom 3 was sooooooooo deep.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Doom 3 is sincerely scary.

Um, Doom 3 is sincerely predictable. After about thirty minutes it became obvious which actions were going to trigger an enemy spawn, or behind what corner there was going to be a zombie, thus eliminating any possible scares derived from surprise. Which was the whole point of the game being a perpetual dark alley to begin with. It became annoying very fast.

AvP2 on the other hand... :(

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.