Romances in RPGs

alanschu

Going a bit OT here: What about flirting as a conversation option? I mean; we've got intimidation, bribes and common sense, why not flirting? It's common enough in real life.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Going a bit OT here: What about flirting as a conversation option? I mean; we've got intimidation, bribes and common sense, why not flirting? It's common enough in real life.

But if it were to be a realistic game, then male PCs should have a disadvantage to their flirting ability than female PCs since most males suck at flirting. :wub:"

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I've always thought it's the other way around.

C'mon most people suck at swordplay and magic(duh) too. Crpgs are all about making a romanticed version of yourself. Who cares if it's not possible irl?

I got your kidding however :wub:

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

How often does a man turn down a woman's advances?

Perhaps that has more to do with men's inability to turn down a physical encounter, but I have yet to see a female "fail" at flirting with a man. But I've seen many occurances of "crash and burning" by men attempting it.

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Romances in a game.. If only a game would allow me to make my own silly pick up lines (I seem to have lost my phone number, can I borrow yours?), my own lame moves and my own love interest, then I'd be happy to have them. But love interests that feel 'designed' to attract certain types of teenage males (Jade Empire!) break my game immersion and only work to annoy me.

I don't mind them when they're not intrusive or obvious, but I hate them when they're overly obvious, intrusive and simplistic (Jade Empire again!).

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Guest Fishboot

I'm still in the mode where I want to be surprised by how developers handle (or avoid) "romances". There has certainly never been a game where I played the romance portion and then thought to myself, "There! This will be my benchmark for all future romances!". Taken as an aggregate my impression of RPG romances has been something like 90% cheesy/flimsy (or overtly adolescent or misogynistic), 5% sweet, 5% sexy. It's fertile ground for improvement.

Also, whoever brought up flirting, the seduce lines in Vampire: Bloodlines fit the bill.

They should put in more romances and such in every game, instead of all these FPS. Love, peace and understanding please. As many have said, the one in PS:T was fun. It was well written, funny, optional and it stopped pretty much were it felt like it should. It doesn't need to go further than that. Just some distraction when you run through all endless corridors. :devil:

Have to agree with you on that Fishboot.

I think a great "twist" would be if the PC can romance the enemy and if you are able to get her (for male pcs) or him (for female pcs) to fall in love with you, then conflict can be ended in a peaceful way. :wub:

They should put in more romances and such in every game, instead of brainless slaughtering. Love, peace and understanding please.

I agree! And more trade negotiations and treaty signing ceremonies in Kotor 3! :D

Romance is part of a good mix. Some game designers seem to think that interminable bleakness and despair are a substitute for good writing. Romance, comedy, loss, hope and hopelessness, all work together to make a good game.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

masup you do realize theres a seduce option in VMB don't you? that's about as close as ive ever seen for what your asking about

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I like romances. I wish they would make them better like the mod makers of BG2. K1 would have kicked ass if it had a good romance with Bastila  :wub:  instead of it's pseudoromance with her.

Blasphemy!

Romance with Bastila = teh r0xx0rz!

They should have went with some graphic "heavy petting"

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

It seemed more like be friends with her. What did you get out of it a kiss that you don't even see? Bioware could have done better with that.  :(

I think I read somewhere that it's very difficult to get two characters interacting and touching each other in the right place. Yes, I know how that sounds, but it's late and I can't be bothered to rephrase it. :) I mean, look at Kotor 2 when Hanharr picks Mira up by the throat - it goes horribly wrong three times out of four. I guess a kiss would be technically difficult and take a lot of work, just for one scene (however much we'd like to have seen it :( )

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I bet you do :)

'cause its in the bible

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

I agree!  And more trade negotiations and treaty signing ceremonies in Kotor 3! :D

Aahh, yeah. Sounds like my cup of tea. I always try to take the diplomatic way. It's so great with games that you can talk your way out of most trouble. That's my personal opinion anyway, and that was also something that BG pretty much lacked(suddenly off topic), if I'm remembering correctly. As much talking as possible. That's why games like Divine Divinity and such, or whatever it's name was from the german producer, never gets my attention at all..

I can't believe how someone can call Diablo clones a RPG btw(I know, it's been discussed so many times before.. hope I won't get that discussion started again..). And absolutely not Diablo itself. :(

Just have to add, what's all the fuzz about the Bastilla romance anyway? I hardly noticed it through my runs with K1. It should at least be a bit more spicy! :)

There was an article written about the little peck on the cheek that Alyx gives her father after she is teleported; it took weeks of development time to get it just right: all for less than a second of screen time. But it works really, well, combined with the Half-Life 2 engine's rendering of their faces, it looks like characters in a film.

It can be done, with enough will and effort.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

There was an article written about the little peck on the cheek that Alyx gives her father after she is teleported; it took weeks of development time to get it just right: all for less than a second of screen time. But it works really, well, combined with the Half-Life 2 engine's rendering of their faces, it looks like characters in a film.

It can be done, with enough will and effort.

I'm not really sure to what chapter you're refering to now, but several weeks for just a sec? Naaah, it's sounds a bit silly. Could you try to tell me where it is in the game, so I might check it out? :ermm:

Yep. When Gordon meets the Professor, and Alyx uses the teleport (the first teleport of the game). The Gordon gets in to follow her, and ... well everything begins from there ...

I'd provide my source (ha ha!), but I think it might have been a recent (post release) game magazine ... I could look through them all, I suppose. I think it was the PC Gamer where they revealed the Lost Coast and Aftermath expansions. (June? August is due out any day.)

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Yes, it's true. I remember that much from the beginning of HL2.

Weeks, you say? Ouch.

"McDonald's taste damn good. I'd rtahe reat their wonderful food then the poisonous junk you server in your house that's for sure.

What's funny is I'm not fat. In fact, I'm skinny. Though I am as healthy as cna be. Outside of being very ugly, and the common cold once in the blue moon I simply don't get sick."

- Volourn, Slayer of Yrkoon!

"I want a Lightsaber named Mr. Zappy" -- Darque

"I'm going to call mine Darque. Then I can turn Darque on anytime I want." -- GhostofAnakin