Shocking News! Daikatana dude leaves Midway!

Llyranor

It's annoying, all these written rules about what and what not to discuss about former employers. You guys realize we probably never will know exactly what lead to all these occurances, and it will take months (perhaps years) to puzzle together who hired who, who fired who and what drove people to do/go what/where they did.

I'm curious by nature, I want to know what's going on behind the scenes! Why did Romero leave? Why did Sawyer leave (and subsequently join Obsidian)? Why does Romero have a hungarian bride?? SO MANY QUESTIONS, SO FEW ANSWERS.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Well it is great to see another great designer here. The cRPG is a wonderful art form in my book - one that has occupied prolly far too many hours of my life - but I wouldn't take one of them back. Gawd and it has been great to see how games have changed over the years. And how real some of the worlds have become. And when every now and then comes along a game that exceeds anything you expected...

Guest Fishboot
fallout 3 were chris a's baby for years, and when he left there were very little news of it at major news sites.  josh leaves bis and every on-line game magazine made it front page news.

I think that by that point it had become inescapably apparent that Interplay was in a likely death spiral, and so Mr. Sawyer's exit had some news appeal as an angle on that front.

You know it just occured to me how "annoyed" I would be if people were discussing my life on a message board.

I was thinking the same thing.

We now bring you live footage from the World Championship Staring Final.

staringcontest8og.gif

I know it's probably annoying to have folks discuss the personal aspects of the designers. Sawyer has made himself a board personality, and so I have no remorse in discussing those aspects of his personal life that revolve around Obsidian. In all actuality, this is the sort of discussion that goes on regarding designers and such anyhow, Romero is an excellent example. The only difference is that Saywer is here to read it, should he so desire.

Furthermore, I noticed that you quoted me and then pointed out that I was speculating on Sawyer's personal (although I submit that it is his professional) life. Did you not care to comment on Gromnir's comments, or were mine just that much more interesting? It's not my intention to pick a fight with you, SP, but I can't help but see something odd about that.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

josh is probably amused by the idle speculation more than he is annoyed... or maybe we is projecting. and josh can always ends the spec if he so desires.

*shrug*

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I know it's probably annoying to have folks discuss the personal aspects of the designers.  Sawyer has made himself a board personality, and so I have no remorse in discussing those aspects of his personal life that revolve around Obsidian.  In all actuality, this is the sort of discussion that goes on regarding designers and such anyhow, Romero is an excellent example.  The only difference is that Saywer is here to read it, should he so desire.

Furthermore, I noticed that you quoted me and then pointed out that I was speculating on Sawyer's personal (although I submit that it is his professional) life.  Did you not care to comment on Gromnir's comments, or were mine just that much more interesting?  It's not my intention to pick a fight with you, SP, but I can't help but see something odd about that.

Like I said it occured to me as I was reading your post. Nothing more to it than that.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I've always assumed that Sawyer would end up at Obsidian, so it doesn't come as a surprise. Personally, I find it more entertaining to speculate than to have Sawyer give us the skinny anyhow.

At any rate, the only difference between this discussion and so many other unlocked discussions of industry personalities is that Sawyer is here. Folks have speculated on Avellone and Feargus and all manner of Obsidian folks. Why should Sawyer be exempt? If he wants me to refrain from speculating, let him tell me, either publicly or privately, and I will stop.

EDIT: Oops, I guess I didn't mean for me to tell me. Rather, I meant to say let him tell me. heh heh

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

"I've always assumed that Sawyer would end up at Obsidian, so it doesn't come as a surprise."

shows what Gromnir knows. everybody keeps saying that they expected this, but it were a surprise for us.

josh "nuke" sawyer coming to work at bis?

rrrriiiiigggghhhhtttt.

nuke working on nwn2? his first AAA title?

HA!

we got the, "i'm just here to help the team," kinda fluff from josh, which ain't a surprise, but the other stuff...

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I've always assumed that Sawyer would end up at Obsidian, so it doesn't come as a surprise.  Personally, I find it more entertaining to speculate than to have Sawyer give us the skinny anyhow.

Is that a bone fide miracle, or some sort of synchronicity, Eldar? :lol:"

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I didn't think that he'd get as much of a chance to work on a bona fide RPG title elsewhere and I figured that eventually history would win over the specter of past failures. Of course, this is after the fact, but I've been surprised, as I said before this news hit the board, that he wasn't already working at Obsidian.

http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?sh...ndpost&p=383280

I was quite the opposite in that I was surpised Sawyer wasn't already in Obsidian.

Obsidian Plays

fallout 3 were chris a's baby for years, and when he left there were very little news of it at major news sites.  josh leaves bis and every on-line game magazine made it front page news.

I think that by that point it had become inescapably apparent that Interplay was in a likely death spiral, and so Mr. Sawyer's exit had some news appeal as an angle on that front.

I always assumed the reason was josh had more of a forum presence than anyone else at BIS. So the majority of the fans knew who josh was, as he talked daily with the fans. Heck Josh would post more in one week than all of Chris

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

The reason I thought VB was dead when Sawyer left was simple: I didn't think he'd leave until he was convinced that the project was dead. When Feargus lured away the other personalities, including Avellone who had lead for the most beloved PS:T, it was a savvy business move. He was starting a new business over which he'd have the final say. It didn't necessarily mean that Fallout 3 was dead, only that Feargus had no reason to stay with Interplay. Notice, I'm not casting scorn or commenting on Interplay at all, but clearly Feargus had a reason to leave Interplay. After all, he left.

Sawyer, who had been publicly jonesin' for Fallout 3 for years, leaves and of course folks figure that things have gotten so bad that Fallout 3 is doomed. I wasn't worried that Sawyer wouldn't be the head of the project. I was worried because someone who so genuinely loved the franchise left. A lot of us felt it could only mean another cancellation. We were right.

Obsidian Plays

Give the level of Respect J.E. Sawyer seems to have in this thread, all he'd need to do is say "Please, stop. I find it annoying." and we likely would.

Although he's probaby enjoying the show with a popcorn or something.

I was quite the opposite in that I was surpised Sawyer wasn't already in Obsidian.

The Ministry of Information has confirmed that it has always been so. ^_^

Perhaps your humor is a bit too refined for my simple mind. If you have something to say, meta, why don't you hitch up your britches and say it?

Obsidian Plays

Gauntlet stopped being noteworthy more than a decade ago.

I tended to agree with you until I objectively looked over the previews to the game. It stands to possibly be better than titles like Dark Alliance in both appearance, and depth of story. If the action, challenge and character development is there, I'll be happy. I don't expect it to be a great game. I expect it to be a Dark Alliance style multiplayer dungeon crawl.