Shocking News! Daikatana dude leaves Midway!

Llyranor

I was expecting this to be just another dull thread where people rip on Romero for making Daikatana a billion years ago. But this thread turned out to be both interesting and informative!

Great to see J.E. Sawyer back in creating RPG's, even though I wouldn't dismiss the new Gauntlet just yet. From what I've seen it has the looks of a co-op God of War game, and that can't be all that bad! But anyhow, let's hope Obsidian can get that Black Isle chemistry going again. :shifty:

By the way, is Romero kind of lazy, or is that just my impression of him..?

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I was expecting this to be just another dull thread where people rip on Romero for making Daikatana a billion years ago.

Romero's pretty much endured what he had to endure, and he's a nice guy to boot. Daikatana's gone, not much reason to harp on it. 'Course, the occasional 'bitch' reference is made, but that's pretty much where it stays.

Guest Fishboot
I was expecting this to be just another dull thread where people rip on Romero for making Daikatana a billion years ago.

Romero's pretty much endured what he had to endure, and he's a nice guy to boot. Daikatana's gone, not much reason to harp on it. 'Course, the occasional 'bitch' reference is made, but that's pretty much where it stays.

I think Romero's image has made a comeback. Gamers have come to realize that id's Doom era was a really important time and place artistically, commercially and technically and just being a part of it makes you a grand old man of gaming, much less being as central as Romero was. Plus the Ion Storm thing can now be recognized as the tragedy (in the dramatic sense) that it was, rather than the eminently hateable farce it seemed to be at the time. It's easy to imagine him as a "reach exceeded his grasp" type of figure now, rather than an arrogant jackass.

Just don't think about the Romanian bride thing...

I'm also curious what your role will be on NWN:2.

Senior designer.

Care to tell us how long this was in the works? :D hahahahahaha

No, I'm not making fun of you. ...Well, you could see it that way, but that's not my intention.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Extremely wishful thinking, but it'd be pretty cool if JE was able to push for turn-based variant of the combat system

That's a pretty tall order for anything intended as a persistent world. Anyway, I'm not going to Obsidian to jump in and start crescent-kicking people in the face for rule changes. Ferret, Frank, and the other peeps know what they are doing. I will be happy to work on area design for a change.

anybody else flash on bull durham? fergie as crash davis and and josh as nuke laloosh?

fergie: It's time you started working on your interviews.

josh: What do I gotta do?

f: Learn your cliches. Study them. Know them. They're your friends.

(fergie hands josh a small pad and pen.)

f: Write this down. "We gotta play 'em one day at a time."

j: Boring.

f: Of course. That's the point. "I'm just happy to be here and hope I can help the ballclub."

j: Jesus.

f: Write, write--"I just wanta give It my best shot and, Good Lord willing, things'll work out."

am just hopeful that chris a ain't playing the part of annie savoy.

*shudder*

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I wouldn't compare any Gauntlet game to God of War just yet, but I would say Seven Sorrows (not six of them) appears to be the best of the 3D incarnations of the franchise.

The story for Jefferson seemed to be one of the few truly deep and unique stories in video games. Mind you it is rooted deeply in Celtic mythology, but I certainly don't mind a move away from the overdone Greek mythology, and being being of Irish descent, I enjoy Celtic mythology.

There are very few stories and games in the industry that I feel challenge the player to think, and we need more of them. Sawyer is one of the few devs I have faith can pull off such things.

Why did all the peoples of Ireland and Scotland swap countries a few times in the last millennium? It must have been such a drama, moving everything over and back again ...

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

... I thought that was the Welsh? incidentally, genetic extrapolations have determined that the Welsh is the sole remaining strain of the Anglo Saxon race.

(At least sheepshagging means that the sheep will be looked after, and de-dagged.)

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

anybody else flash on bull durham?  fergie as crash davis and and josh as nuke laloosh?

Can't say that I did. Due to my strong dislike of baseball, I never saw Bull Durham.

Being a lead can sometimes be very rewarding. On a day-to-day basis, it is stressful. Leads have to focus on the game as a whole and have to keep in constant communication with the producers and other leads. It is uncommon today for lead designers to ever actually complete levels they may have a hand in designing. I never finished my levels for IWD II. Dave Maldonado wasn't able to design any levels for BG: DA II.

I don't have a great track record as a lead, so for me it has been more disappointing than rewarding. Sometimes it is nice to have a solid set of tasks in front of you to complete. Of course I would like to be a lead again someday, but for now, I honestly would just like to help finish something in a subordinate role.

In his defense, it seems he had no say in finishing Jefferson and Van Buren. Who knows if that was the case with Gauntlet.

And this comment may make me seem like a stalker, but I thought Sawyer lived in Irvine, yet it says Mission Hills now.