Zen Thought For the Day

EnderAndrew

Buddhism is based on four truths (or one truth see in four steps depending on how you see it).

Suffering is caused by desire. Yet, the goal is Buddhism is to change.

Isn't the desire to change a desire in and of itself?

Hmmm....

"I'm questioning my education

Rewinding, what does it show?

Could be, the truth, it becomes you

I'm a seed wondering why i'm grown."

-- Eddie Vedder of Pearl Jam, Education

Wouldn't wanting to change be somewhat different than desiring to change? I think to desire something is to crave something, whereas to want something is more in tune with fulfilling a requirement, a moderate or even modest wish to find or achieve something.

Also, one could argue that all change carries a sense of loss, and in that perspective a suffering of sorts.

Buddhism is based on four truths (or one truth see in four steps depending on how you see it).

Suffering is caused by desire. Yet, the goal is Buddhism is to change.

Isn't the desire to change a desire in and of itself?

I would say the desire to become buddist could lead to suffering. In my perspective it strips away humanity. You can feel emotions but only for a short while then let them go. You can't have a set of beliefs becuase your suppose to think the world is always changing. Doesn't it just feel good sometimes to hold on to love, or even to hate somtimes. all of this just so you wont get reborn?

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

Seriously, Buddhism suggests that we all come from the same source, and are really pieces of the same entity. We incarnate into forms to learn lessons, but there is no reason to desire for one's self since the self does not really exist.

:lol:

Not if you're a follower of Xenu

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I never cease to be amazed that people actually believe in that Scientology bull****. Perhaps they just dont want to admit that theyve paid all that money for the gibberish of some psychologist-hating hippie?

pg10_2.jpg

"Hello I am Tom Cruise and Im a celebrity Scientologist.

That gives me 2 bonus enlightenment levels. "

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I never cease to be amazed that people actually believe in that Scientology bull****. Perhaps they just dont want to admit that theyve paid all that money for the gibberish of some psychologist-hating hippie?

Well, Mr Hubbard was quite a clever, if severely deranged, cult-starter.

First off, the conditions inside a Scientological sanctum are very amenable to those of celebrity status: it is not permitted for anyone to mob another, and there are (apparently) some pretty nice amenities to use, in all the cities that it infests.

Secondly, despite a revulsion bordering on psychopathy, Mr Hubbard uses the self-same psychological techniques, except to inculcate individuals into the religion. The technique is to arm the "workers" with a broad spectrum psychological questionnaire, that can quickly give the interviewer enough of an idea of what "buttons" to press to inveigle the interviewed into the cult. (Obviously, anyone versed in psychology is going to recognise / have a higher immunity to the questions, so it makes sense that Scientology, and all L. Ron Hubbard's books, try to undermine it.)

Interestingly, it is a true gnostic religion, meaning that the higher mysteries are revealed only to a few of the higher ranked people. (Mr Hubbard may have been the first to "commoditize" the process, though.) So much so, that recently the church was awarded a civil court case against a former member who revealed some of the higher mysteries on the internet, for a breach of copyright!

Thirdly, by the time you are told that the Earth's population is just a waste tip for the scum and villianny of the universe, you've already done a significant fortune; I guess they just carry on: "... in for a penny, in for a pound."

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I'm ignorant of the teachings of Buddhism, but escaping the 'same entity' idea for a minute, what makes us individuals? Supposedly individuality maintains the ideas of individual freedom, and the importance of the self. But can we truly be individuals under those aspects? It always seems to be true individualism is a rare (if not impossible) thing to achieve when in the context of man as a social animal, 'condemend' to accept or at least live with social conventions and rules. In fact, importance of the self seems to suggest that it is the opposing end of the concept of society, or collectivism... Is true individualism only achieved by purging society and more importantly society's control over the self?

Help a poor retard understand life!

I'm ignorant of the teachings of Buddhism, but escaping the 'same entity' idea for a minute, what makes us individuals? Supposedly individuality maintains the ideas of individual freedom, and the importance of the self. But can we truly be individuals under those aspects? It always seems to be true individualism is a rare (if not impossible) thing to achieve when in the context of man as a social animal, 'condemend' to accept or at least live with social conventions and rules. In fact, importance of the self seems to suggest that it is the opposing end of the concept of society, or collectivism... Is true individualism only achieved by purging society and more importantly society's control over the self?

Help a poor retard understand life!

I am happy with my knowledge that I am the only reality, and the rest of you are merely noise in my universe.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT